An interesting take on North America

Discussing all roleplaying games
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

An interesting take on North America

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Anybody have this: http://www.atlas-games.com/crown/ Northern Crown. It's a high fantasy version of colonial North America, set in 1666.

The books have a magic level comparable with normal D&D and use some D&D base classes, so it's not exactly Gothic Earth. Instead of different demi-human races, they have various human cultures, which give characters extra abilities beyond normal human characters. Albians (the English) have strong connections to the Fey, so they get to cast a cantrip 1/day like the Redheaded feat.

The book draws on a mixture of legendary and historical sources and puts twists on them. For example, Johnny Appleseed and Paul Bunyan exist and have stats in the gazzeteer and prestige classes based on them in base book. In Northern Crown, The Viking settlers of Greenland successfully established a long-lasting colony but were cut off from Europe. Their descendants still exist in Northern Crown. And the Puritans have to deal with witches (even a nation of them), who bind imps in order to cast spells. My favorite part of the book is the Natural Philospher Prestige Class, which is very similar to the scientist prestige class in the Mordenheim chapter of Legacies of Blood. The natural philospher has similar attitudes towards magic and special spell-emulating abilities (divided by area of focus) like the scientist PrC.
ghostdog
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ghostdog »

I have heard of it, and I think it would be very interesting.

SOme years ago, I found in the web a campaign for D&D second edition called "septentrionallis". It was very close to norther crown, so i wonder if it´s the same setting.
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

It is. The guy pulled the plug on the Septentrionalis site, expanded the info, and wrote these books. Same deal that happened with Nyambe.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.