Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Historical, Novel and Movie Characters of the Modern Gothic

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Nelson Rehmeyer
Dread Scarecrow/Rushlight (Mystic 11)

In 1928, three Pennsylvania men named John Blymire, Wilbert Hess and John Curry murdered an aged man named Nelson Rehmeyer, who lived in the vicinity of York, Pa. The three suspected that Rehmeyer was a Hexenmeister, or curse-layer. All three were sentenced to prison and all three were eventually released. But the spirit of Nelson Rehmeyer was anchored to his home, and even today haunts the grounds.

Most of the time, his tortured spirit stalks the grounds in the form of a scarecrow, exercising his blind hatred against all living things that fall into his grasp - including residents of the nearby burg of Winterstown and possibly even livestock from neighboring farms.

The current residents of his now-restored home are thralls to the will of the long-dead sorcerer, and scheme above all else to bring descendants and relatives of Hess, Blymire, and Curry to "Rehmeyer's Hollow". The ghost of Nelson can manifest itself as a ball of fire (a rushlight) that mutters and shouts.

In scarecrow form, he has no special powers, but in rushlight form Rehmeyer's ghost has access to the curse spells from the Magic domain (as an 11th level mystic).

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/par ... alm/117245 (Part One: Background)
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/par ... alm/117246 (Part Two: Crime and Trial)

The Rehmeyer House near Winterstown, Pa. as it appeared in the 1930s.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

(Mods, can you close this? I thought to open a new thread only to find one already was made as I was writing this!)
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

Orang Santu wrote:(Mods, can you close this? I thought to open a new thread only to find one already was made as I was writing this!)
Heh, heh! Sorry, Santu... :wink:
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.