Gothic Earth In Other Time Periods?

Discussing Masque of the Red Death

Can MotRD still work in other time periods, besides the 1890s?

Yes.
86%
No.
14%

Total votes: 14

Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Gothic Earth In Other Time Periods?

Post by Olly »

I know some people might consider this sacrilege, but I was just wondering if anybody had had any ideas for setting Masque Of The Red Death games in other time periods on Gothic Earth?

I know that the Great War supplement, set in World War I, was jam-packed with phenomenally interesting ideas, but I have had ideas of moving the setting even further forwards into the future, to War War II and beyond.

I've also wondered about games of MotRD played in the modern age. Has anybody tried this before?

Basically, I'd like to use this thread to discuss many things. Whether or not MotRD works in time periods other than the 1890s or whether time period has any effects on the gothic horror genre.

Also, because I greatly enjoy the Historical, Literary and Movie character thread, I'd like to know if anybody has any ideas for characters, both real and fictional from beyond the 1890s, and how they would interact with the Red Death and its minions.
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Well, I'd REALLY love to play a Masque of the Red Death set during the Crusades... ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

I've had on the backburrner for a few months an idea of a modern MOTRD adventure.

My idea was that a massive battle between the remaining members of the qubals of good (Enstien, Charollote Van Helsing (his granddaughter), Marie Frankenstien, the aging Holmes and several others) and the greatest minions of the Red Death (Moriarty, Dracula, Mengala and others) in the deserts of Arabia on July 14th 1944.
Using all the powers at thier disposal and many sacrifices of good men and women the forces of good were able to force the Red Death to be present of the battlefield.
However they were ready for him. Reciting a ancient incantation that cost the lives of many of those involed the forces of good were able to trap the essance of the Red Death in a huge stone seal burried deep in the desert sand.
With thier source of power traped in the stone the forces of evil were weakened and fled into the night. Those who servived the loss of power went into a deep hibernation.
For several decades the world was at peace. The Red Death raged at his prison and a few times he was able to influcance the mind of men to evil over the years (Vietman, Rawanda, Bosnia) but he was powerless to recreate the vast army he once had.

Fast forward to the summer of 2004.
A group of American soliders have found a terroist cell in a small village in the Arabian desert. Not wanting to engage in face to face fighting they athourise a MOAB strike (Mother of All Bombs). The bombs hits and sends its shockwaves over two miles down into the earth...and into a stone seal engraved with arcane symbols....

Within a week the entire village, the American soldiers and all life for a mile around are found dead. The remains of bodies apeer to be eaten and a strange red fog swirls around the corpses...

From there I would bring the PCs in as college students under Professor Redgraves, one of the last watcher still active. With his help the PCs will uncover the Red Deaths return and will once again atempt to fight back.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I think the Gothic Earth: Now adventure I've got going in the Cafe is going quite well.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Gothic Earth In Other Time Periods?

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Olly wrote:Also, because I greatly enjoy the Historical, Literary and Movie character thread, I'd like to know if anybody has any ideas for characters, both real and fictional from beyond the 1890s, and how they would interact with the Red Death and its minions.
Start one up! :)

We could have all sorts of fun twisting modern fictional characters like we did the Victorian ones. A lot of Stephen King comes to mind ... it seems that there is a well of evil situated around [fictional] places such as Castle Rock and Derry, Maine ...
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

[i]--Edgar Allan Poe[/i], Ligeia
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

There was an article in an old Dragon (can't recall the number; mid-200s, anyway) that had ideas about GE in the eras of the TSR historical books (Vikings, Celts, Roman Empire, Ancient Greece, Elizabethan Europe, Crusades, Charlemagne).
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Gothic Earth In Other Time Periods?

Post by Olly »

Lady Ligeia wrote:
Olly wrote:Also, because I greatly enjoy the Historical, Literary and Movie character thread, I'd like to know if anybody has any ideas for characters, both real and fictional from beyond the 1890s, and how they would interact with the Red Death and its minions.
Start one up! :)

We could have all sorts of fun twisting modern fictional characters like we did the Victorian ones. A lot of Stephen King comes to mind ... it seems that there is a well of evil situated around [fictional] places such as Castle Rock and Derry, Maine ...
By Gadd, I will! And I just did! See you there! ;)
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Yes! I think Masque could certainly work in the post-Victorian era. Tell me the atomic age wasn't another of the Six Fingered Hand's plots...
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

My wife played an immature hag from 1980's Gothic Earth. She got sucked into RL and became a brujah, but we developed some of her storyline regarding her history in GE. I don't see any reason it couldn't happen.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home