Sacrifice D20

Discussing all roleplaying games
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sacrifice D20

Post by Hell_Born »

I first tried this at the Wizards D20 System Board, but it fell through. Essentially, I'm asking for advice on converting the creatures and spells from this game into the D20 System, and also for help constructing Prestige Classes to represent the various Wizard-Champions, which are as follows:
*Necromancer of Charnel
*Elementalist of Stratos
*Sorcerer of Pyro
*Geomancer of James
*Mystic of Persephone
I had thought up that the easiest way to do things was to have each level in a Wizard-Champion PrC grant access to the spells availible at that level as Invocations (as per the Warlock in Complete Arcane) and also to summon the creatures availible to that level (see my Summoning skill below). The problem was that I also thought maybe they could receive other things; I couldn't get the idea of an EoS developing the ability to conceal itself with fog, or walk straight up icy rocks out of my head.

I'd really appreciate help with this, and I'll put the stuff I've worked out below.

Minor Somatic Component: the gestures required to cast the spell are so simple that the caster can still move whilst casting, though this provokes a DC 5 Concentration check.

Major Somatic Component: the gestures required to cast the spell are so complex that the wizard can do nothing more than stand still and cast the spell.

Summoning: an Invocation that calls a creature determined by the precise Invocation to the caster's aid. Components are Verbal and Major Somatic. The creature obeys every order the caster delivers and lasts until slain. Summoning a creatures costs an amount of XP determined by the precise creature. Casting this Invocation is a full-round action. Upon it's arrival, the creature develops a permanent two-way telepathic link with the caster.

Elementalist of Stratos:
Gained Abilities:
Child of the Storm: the EoS gains Resistance (Electricity) 5 at first level. This increases to 10 at 5th level and 15 and 10th level.
Child of the Frozen Heights: the EoS gains Resistance (Cold) 5 at first level. This increases to 10 at 5th level and 15 and 10th level.
Concealing Fog: at 3rd level, the EoS can cast Concealing Fog 3/day (Is that a real spell? I can't remember).
Scale the Frozen Heights: at 7th level, the EoS gains the Ice Walk ability (as per White Dragon).
I was also thinking maybe developing Sneak Attack? Because Stratos is a master at back-stabbing...

Sorcerer of Pyro:
Because of Pyro's interest in progress, I thought that at certain levels a SoP might be able to replace certain bodyparts with techno-magical cyber-replacements? Culminating in becoming a Half-Iron/Clockwork Golem at 10th level? (Speaking of which, exactly where do you find information of Half-Golems?)

Necromancer of Charnel:
I was thinking, maybe gets save bonuses against poison/disease, or special attacks relating to them?

Geomancer of James:
Gets tougher and more rock-like, so maybe AC bonus finishing off with immunity to mundane poison/disease?

Mystic of Persephone:
Other than Persuade as a Class Skill, not too sure.

General Prequisites (for all Wizard-Champion classes):
Able to cast 1st Level Spells (arcane only?)

NoC:
Must be of Evil or Chaotic Alignment.

SoP:
Must be of Evil, Lawful or Neutral Alignment

EoS:
Must have Int 14+

GoJ:
Must be of Good or Neutral Alignment

MoP:
Must be of Good, Neutral or Lawful Alignment.

::EDIT::
Forgot to post these Invocations, all require at least 1 level in any Wizard-Champion PrC:

Conversion
Components: Verbal, Minor Somatic
Target: 1 slain Summoned Creature
Effect: summons a Sac-Doc who performs a ritual over the slain creature. This ritual takes 5 rounds and at its conclusion the slain creature's corpse is disintegrated and the caster gains an amount of XP equal to the creature's worth (eg a Cog would grant 300 XP whilst a Warmonger would grant 1300 XP).

Speed-Up
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 4 rounds +1 round per Wizard-Champion level
Effect: doubles the target's movement rate.

Heal:
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 6 rounds
Effect: the target creature regains 1D10 damage per round until the duration expires or the target is completely healed.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

More bits and pieces - will someone please comment! I really need help with this!

Pyro Cyber-Components:
Cyber-Eye:
This strange jewel seems to have been carved into the shape of an eye .
Grants a +2 bonus to Spot checks (2 Cyber-Eyes grant a +3 bonus), also has one 'vision-power' selected from the list below.
*Thermal Imaging: grants Darkvision 60 feet, two Cyber-Eyes with this power grant Darkvision 80 feet.
*Spirit Sight: can cast See invisible as a 5th level caster at will, two Cyber-Eyes with this power cast it as a 7th level caster.
*Micro-Imaging: grants a +2 bonus to Open Locks and Disable Traps, two Cyber-Eyes with this power grant a +3 bonus.
*Defense Mechanism: at will can project a Ray of magical energy that does 1D4 Force damage, two Cyber-Eyes with this power grants a +1 bonus to hit and cause the ray to deal 1D6 Force Damage.

Filtration Unit
This bizarre helm seems to be partially welded to the wearer's face.
Grants a +4 bonus to resisting scent-based attacks (Ghast's stench, Stinking Cloud ect) and air-born poisons/disease. However, the wearer breathes with a loud wheezing sound (think Darth Vader), imposing a -2 penalty to Move Silently.

Implanted Armour
The being seems to have had crude plates of iron and steel riveted to its flesh.
Grants a bonus to natural AC but imposes a Charisma penalty, at a ratio of 1/2 (aka 1 point of AC causes -2 Charisma).

Cyber-Arm
The being's arm is made of clockwork, covered with a skin of metal plates.
Grants +1 Strength but causes -2 Charisma, unarmed attacks with the Cyber-Arm do Lethal Damage, also it can have 2 upgrades from the list below.
*Improved Hydraulics: grants +2 Strength instead of +1.
*Knuckle Spikes: unarmed attacks do piercing damage.
*Retractile Finger Claws: grant a +2 bonus to Climb.
*Retractile Wrist Claws: the bearer counts as wielding a Shortsword which cannot be Sundered.
*Extra Armour: grants +1 AC.

First Level Invocations for all Wizard-Champion Prestige Classes.

Pyro: Pyro's Fireball
Components: Minor Somatic, Verbal
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium
Area of Effect: 1 Target
Effect: a sphere of flames and heat blasts from your hand to engulf a victim, inflicting 1D6 Fire damage per SoP level,

Charnel: Insect Swarm
Effect: a swarm of venemous, blood-sucking or flesh-eating flying vermin form from the air and streak towards a vcitim of your choice, inflicting 1D6 damage per NoC level and healing the caster for the exact amount of damage inflicted (this only restores lost HP- excess HP stolen is lost).

Persephone: Wrath
Effect: a ball of blue-green energy streaks from your hand to impact the target, inflicting 1D6 Force damage per MoP level.

James: Rock
Area of Effect: Ray
Effect: a sizable boulder tears itself from the ground and hurtles towards to intended target, smashing into the first thing between it and the target. It inflicts 1D6 Bludgeoning damage per GoJ level.

Stratos: Lightning
Area of Effect: Ray
Effect: a crackling bolt of lighting blasts from your outstretched hands, inflicting 1D4 Electricity damage per EoS level.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Dark Whisper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Dark Whisper »

More bits and pieces - will someone please comment! I really need help with this!
Well, it would help us commenting, if you would post a few things, like

- a short overview of the summoned creatures (IIRC, the later summons in the game where powerful enought to reduce a wizard to a nothing in an instant)

- how do you intend to change the other classes ? Not at all ? Slightly ? Vastly ?

- Is this going to be an all wizard game (no other classes) ? Or how do wizards and other classes compare and interact ?

- How long does a summoned creature stay ? How many creatures can a mage summon at any time ?

- Are you aiming at normal D&D/D20 gameplay with this rules ? Or rather a P&P version of Sacrifice (i.e. DM & 1 player) ?

Specific questions :

- Conversion : What happens with the slain creature, if the Sac-Doc is killed ? Can it be killed ? What happens, when the conversion is dispelled ?

- Why would any one in his right mind play a cleric, if the mage has the heal incantation (which beats all cure spells by far !) ?

- Why is there such a difference betweent he first level incantations ?
Why is Insect swarm about the most powerful of them (1d6 damage, heals caster, untyped (irrestible) damage) ? Why is Lightning the weakest (only 1d4 damage) ?

EDIT : Crying for help will rarely help you (especially, if that cry comes after only about half a day); you'll have to give other board-visitors time to

read it
re-read it
think about it
think about it a little more

before they'll post.
Whisspersss in the Dark...
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Okay, thank you for pointing those out, I'm sorry for throwing a tantrum. I'll try and straighten things out:

*I'm going for normal D&D play with these rules and not changing the other character clases at all (that's why the WC's are PrC's, if I was going for just P&P Sacrifice they'd be Core Classes).

*what do you mean by a short overview of the creatures? I did post a lot of stuff about them and the spells from the game at the Wizards board. Here's the link; http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=442620

*Summoned creatures last until slain, and the wizard can have as many as he's willing to drain his XP for.

*Heal is powerful, but it only works on the mage or the creatures he Invokes.

*I didn't typify Insect Swarm because I don't know what type of damage it does- it's a swarm of biting, scratching, blood-sucking bugs! And Lightning only does 1D4 damage because it's the weakest 1st level spell in the actual game.

*If the conversion is interrupted (which can only be done by killing the Sac-Doc- assume it has 1 hp) the corpse remains where it is and nothing happens. It can have Coversion cast on it again, be raised, resurrected or simply chopped into bloody goo.

The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Perhaps you should try to ask this on the Dicefreaks boards. There are many people there that are good at this kind of thing... Try the "Other RPGs" or "D&D Game material" subboards.

Also judging from your nickname i think you may find the rest of the boards and the free Gates of Hell pdf download enjoyable...
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Okay, thank you, I've registered there and started up this topic there.