Map jackpot!

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Map jackpot!

Post by Lady Ligeia »

While looking for maps and images of Philadelphia c.1890 I stumbled upon this site and had to share it.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

There you will find maps, lithographs, surveys, topographic maps, transportation maps, and more dating from 1500 - 2004 from all sorts of places in the US and elsewhere.

You can only look at the maps in small sections, but they are JPGs so someone with a lot of time and patience could reassemble an authentic map of a given area. I've found that the middle-most Zoom level at 640 x 480 gives you the best resolution and clarity for downloading and reassembling.

Or you could take the easy road and download the MrSID viewer here:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/help/download_sid.html

[Homer]Mmm ... mappy goodness ... [/Homer]
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

[i]--Edgar Allan Poe[/i], Ligeia
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Great find, I am sure many people here (myself included) will find that a useful resource :)
Swallow your soul!
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

If you download the MrSID Viewer, be warned that I don't know if its a free temporary trial thing or not.

It lets you export the maps to a TIF file, and from there any good picture editing software can let you save it as a JPG or whatever.

I'd suggest getting the MrSID Viewer and downloading and exporting to TIF files all the maps you want, in case there is a shelf life for the Viewer.

That's my plan for pretty much all day tomorrow. lol
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Map jackpot!

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Lady Ligeia wrote:While looking for maps and images of Philadelphia c.1890 I stumbled upon this site and had to share it.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html
Strange, I found a map of Mt. Joy, PA on there which is barely 15 minutes from where I sit right now. Anyhow, are you thinking of setting your Masque game in Philadelphia? That would be odd, as so am I. Great minds and all that. ;)
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Yes ... I figure that Philly is a good hub for an 1890's era game. It is a growing city that still has a lot of open country around it, a river harber that permits fairly frequent ship traffic, and its only a short ride by rail to other major hubs like New York, Boston, Washington, etc.

Also, in one of their first adventures I want the PCs in my group to tangle with the Jersey Devil, basically just across the river from them. :twisted:

Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Hmmm ... now that I have explord that map site some, I've found an 1891 map of my home town.

Now I am conflicted ... I was thinking of using Philadelphia, but I think it would be fun for the group to run a bunch of adventurers fighting ghoulies, ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties on our own turf 115 years ago ...

Hmm ... decisions, decisions ...

Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Do both! ;)

I'm going to set my game in this here neck of the woods, though. Maybe they'll get to Philadelphia eventually. I have some stuff planned for Gettysburg, and a few of the local legends 'round here...
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.