New stat block?

Discussing all roleplaying games
Joël of the FoS

New stat block?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

WotC has introduced a new stat block in DMG II (and now alos found in last Dungeon).

It is divided in 4 - presentation / defense / attack / abilities and spells.

See here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=136855 and http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133835

It looks neater and better organized to me. Any comment on it, for those who had the chance to look at it ?

I was thinking of suggesting it as our standard, too; plus the RL OR line.

Joël
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I like the new stat-block. It's handy, and seems to take up less space.

FWIW, it wouldn't hurt to come up with a modified version of the new stat-block, that also includes Ravenloft-specific information ... specifically, if it became standard practice to list characters' Fear, Horror, and Madness save bonuses in the "defensive stats" box, right after the standard (Fort, Ref, Will) saves. While most of the time the former are the same as the Will save, feats and the like can easily modify a character's overall ability to resist these effects. So long as they're re-engineering stat-blocks to save the DM a little time, why not do the same for Ravenloft's extra game-mechanics?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Meh, I like the old stat block, it takes less space. I wouldn't call that a stat block anyway, more like a stat list that's going to fill up space that could be used for something else.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Reminds me of the old 2E stat blocks, though this new one has alot of needlessly repeated information (espepecially where feats and skills are involved). Why need them more than once? Okay, I know some people may miss the odd feat or skill in the characters' stat block during play, but it isn't really that important, is it?

I think I'll just keep the pre-existing stat block, I prefer it.
Swallow your soul!
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Interesting - let's see if it stays. I don't know if it will be used in all future WotC products.

It seems to work though.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.