Dungeon Master Ethic's

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote: If you have a member of your party who actively seeks out others to harm...I don't see how such a character could last very long.
Exactly!

According to your defintion, my Knights-of the-Thorn group is chaotic neutral at best. *The company mascott was recently found: Fatty the Falcon* :shock:
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

110 pages and I still can't stop AHHHH :cry:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:Interesting that in the case of PC rape - everyone talks about female PCs whose characters have have been raped.

From what I've read, some DMs are totally against it. Some allow it, but only carefully. I'm wondering if some of the folks here would be so hip to have their own male PC raped...ala Deliverance or Pulp Fiction?
I noticed that as well. But to shed some light onto the subject here. I was in a conversation with a women the other day about rape (honestly I don't spend all my time talking about it) and she flat out refused to believe that men could be raped. Not by men and certainly not by women. Yet I have statistics that say some 20% of men will be raped in their lifetime by either a man or women.

So yes there is a huge gender inequality perspective there and I think that the raping of a male is indeed a horrific thing just as the raping of the female. Now I think I will be done talking about rape.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

5 days of unadulterated horror

Post by Jennifer »

hi all,
I have just finished reading all 195 pages of creepiest gamers. It took me five days. I shall never be the same again.

the next time I see my players I will thank them from the bottom of my heart for being such nice well adjusted guys. They bathe regularly, they bring snacks, they compliment me on my games, they do not assault me, my friends, my NPC's, each others PC's, they do not bring guns to the table, they remain dressed at all times when I am there to see it. They are truly wonderful.

jennifer
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Desertrising wrote:
Ivana_Boritsi wrote:Interesting that in the case of PC rape - everyone talks about female PCs whose characters have have been raped.
I was in a conversation with a women the other day about rape (honestly I don't spend all my time talking about it) and she flat out refused to believe that men could be raped.
To Ivana I made that mistake and talked about rape of female PCs, or when there are women at the table. I don't feel comfortable with such topics when there are women around.

To Desertrisong: Believe it or not, when we are a "boys" group, we use rape often.

About once every three times a male character is caught, he gets raped by a man or an ogre. Usually our DM has the villains employ large orcs or ogres for just this cause, and of course as a DM I use the same tactic (occasionally with fiends).
I once played a character that discovered . . . something :oops: about himself in such conditions. A gnome raped by a half-orc under the orders of a Pit fiend. And once one of my players had his character admit that he enjoyed when the shadow fey raped him.

However, we never become so base when there are women involved.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

On the topic of rape...

I've used it three times in my campaigns. All three times, it happened off-stage, it was NPC to NPC, and all three times it was EXTREMELY impactful. If used properly, this is such a heninous thing that it will send players and PCs into a tizzy and should have echoes in the campaign for a long time.

I don't think it is an element that should be tossed lightly into any game. I know every game group is different, but I've seen three very different groups become upset and angered when the evil of sexual violence entered the lives of the characters and their friends. (Hell, in one of the cases, no PC particularly liked the NPC who got assualted, yet they all rallied around her and convinced her to fight back instead of going into exile.)

BTW, in all three games, there were women at the table, although only in one were they more outraged and angered than the male players. In that one instance, the guys were concerned about the impact on the political situation while the girls were instantly out for the perps' blood (and nads).
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

alhoon, you are a very strange case. :roll:

I've started reading the creepiest people you've gamed with thread too. Interesting bunch of sickos. As Jennifer, I never played with weirdos, or people believing they have real powers. I probably would laugh too much. I'm not tender with crude silliness.

I've never played with people being rude because they are like that, and not temporarily because of D&D roleplaying. I simply would not invite them to the next game, at the risk of not having enough players.

I don't remember having introduced a rape in my game, and if ever I did, the players heard of something that happened a while ago, as part of an NPC background. The thing would never happen in my game, or to a female PC (wether played by a man or a woman), or any caracter played by a woman. It is useless and tasteless, IMHO.

Now what we are uncomfortable with is rape, kid abuse, and similar violent topic we see everyday in the paper. That is mad enough in our real life to add that to our fantasy life, so we do not enjoy stories involving those topics (unless it's evasive, in an NPC background) and we try to avoid it.

Joël
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I used rape once in a game, and that was as a punishment for out of game cheating (Trebor looked up the name of Tristen ApBlanc when I said he'd never find out his name. It wouldn't have bothered me if he'd accidentally found out, but he specifically went out and looked for Tristen's name). I had him raped by Jack Bequick. It resulted in a pregnancy, which came to term in six weeks, and a child who, like Malocchio, grew to adulthood in a matter of days.

The impact was felt in the game and his character, Frak'taupah Cinderspur, a fire genesi, named the child Thorn, as he was a thorn in her side. So it worked out quite well.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Whew! 130 pages and counting! From lack of hygene to crazy cults, the hits just keep on coming. :lol:

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

64 pages and counting.. God I dont know whats worse.. The people they are posting about or the posters themselves.. And people have thought I have issues.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

Well one of my player in my game has been victim of sexual abuse when he was younger and he dont mind if I bring rape or stuff like that in the game, I mean I have been almost raped when I was young(I was lucky...) and well sure I have a profound hatred for pedophiles, but I dont mind including particulary vile atc int he game I mean the fact that enemy of the pc is a rapist or something motivate the pcs.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Faust wrote:Well one of my player in my game has been victim of sexual abuse when he was younger and he dont mind if I bring rape or stuff like that in the game, I mean I have been almost raped when I was young(I was lucky...) and well sure I have a profound hatred for pedophiles, but I dont mind including particulary vile atc int he game I mean the fact that enemy of the pc is a rapist or something motivate the pcs.
Faust--please keep in mind that this is a role-playing forum, NOT one for expression of political/social views. I've modified your post accordingly.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

From what I've read, some DMs are totally against it. Some allow it, but only carefully. I'm wondering if some of the folks here would be so hip to have their own male PC raped...ala Deliverance or Pulp Fiction?

Just a thought...
I've made the Horned King (a fey incorporation of wild nature and urges, with LARGE SIZE and even larger "talents") RAPE a HIGHLANDsman, until he left him to negative hp.
The Highlander commited suicide when he regained his senses. I mean the player decided to kill his character, knowing that his next character will have fewer levels. And made this damn will save I demand when player want to suicide. (Yes, it has happened before)

But it's always easier with male PCs or male players. A female player playing a female NPC who's raped, unfortunately, has a serious chance to actually have a similar experience of someone attempting (or even succeeding) to rape her. And by saying "serious chance" I mean 20% and more - it depends on the country - I think Scandinavian have smaller percentages (aaah, lucky people you up there!)
So, raping female PCs roleplayed by female Players is something you need to do veeeery carefully if at all.
Of course, making players feel strong sentiments (even of disgust or fear) is a part of many RV games. Typical dialog with a player:
"Actually, it would have been better if you had killed me (he was meaning his character)"
"Bah... I gave you what you were asking me for so many sessions"
"But I've been used to this after 5 months!"
"Well, I just ensure that you'll never get bored with your character."
"Yeah, but in the meantime, you'll make me have a heart attack"
"Well, I feel proud as a DM, wouldn't you?" (or something like that)
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

150 pages read and the thread is now up to 205 pages. I'll NEVER see the end of this thread. :cry:

Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

It's doable. I've read it all, and now just have to keep up with the new posts. Yes, I have no sanity left ;)
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation