Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Next book from Wizards is...

Post by Catman Jim »

I guess I now have seen everything. Coming next month from WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... 0764584596

Is it too early for this to be an April Fool's? :roll:

Oh well, I assume that they feel there would be a market for it. I'll definately look at it if I see it on the book shelf. I'm sure that I won't shell out $20 for it though!
I only wish I had retired sooner!
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Sort of implies the attitude towards thier customers does'nt it... :P

Maraudar
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Given the release date and that they push products months early and this is the first I heard I'm leaning towards joke.
But if not... could be handy.

I mean, isn't a book like that perfect for people just starting out? Wouldn't you have loved one when you were thirteen and first looking at these three massive rule books?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

At last, a rule book for those with average level of understanding. That is about half of the world's population though, so it can't be a bad thing to release this book.
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

It's legit.
clickly
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I heard about it a few months ago... it's legit.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

True, the copyrighted images and title should have been a dead giveaway.

The book probably should have been geared toward Roleplaying - with an emphasis on D&D. That way there could be explanations for LARPs, things like Vampire, and other games.
I wonder if Wotc and the Dummie are both within the same publishing conglomerate? If so, that might explain the exclusion of other games.

In any case, I wonder if the book will address such important issues as the division between 1st, 2nd, 2nd players option, 3rd and 3.5? Or perhaps discuss the presence of non-wotc, open licence material?

They should also explain the difference between Canon and Noncanon.

Heck, for a book on D&D they damn well better explain what a Setting is, and perhaps some of the differences between Forgotten Realms, and other big name settings.

Roelplaying is a pretty complex subject! It would be interesting to see how detailed this book gets.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:In any case, I wonder if the book will address such important issues as the division between 1st, 2nd, 2nd players option, 3rd and 3.5? Or perhaps discuss the presence of non-wotc, open licence material?
I wouldn't be surpriseed if there was a sidebar saying something like: "The current version of D&D is version 3.5. Previous incarnations included... but this book focuses on the current version because it's the easiest for a newcomer to find, and the most streamlined and easy to use ruleset." Acknowledgement of the old, with a plug for 3.5.

The Dummies books, despite their tragic name, tend to actually be a quite good intro to their topics. Written so that a newbie can understand, but still covering the topic well.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:elena: :gabrielle: :lucas: :hazlik: :Ivana: :maligno: :misori: :soth: :Strahd: :banshee: :Ivan: :ankhtepot: :arijani: :azalin: :shock: :?:

This just CAN'T be true!
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Just when you thought WotC couldn't sink any lower...
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Rhuvein
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rhuvein »

I never liked any of those "dummie" books, but I will say one thing; being a subject for their books probably has more to do with the acceptance and popularity of D&D, which is a good thing. Who knows, maybe the book is funny too.

:lol:

Regards,

Rhuvein.
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

It's kind of funny to me that "DnD for Dummies" (emphasis mine) is still 400+ pages long. :)
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

I know at least one gamer that needs this book...
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

It isn't aimed at normal DnD players, but at those who are approaching the game and either don't have the time to read the Player's Handbook or are intimidated by it. I figure it would be useful as something to hand to someone who wants to play, but has never roll the dice in their lives.

Assuming that this book is meant for the average DnD player is like assuming that a cartoon about Krypto the Wonderdog is aimed at the adult DC Universe fans.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".