29%
3.5 edition
65%

Total votes: 17

Underworld
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Underworld »

I use the 3.0 version. v.3.5 Ravenloft has nothing new to offer to the RL game except a bunch of silly new rules. 3.0 has great mechanics and I use my old 2E accessories for fluff. 3.0 RL is the way to go.

~U[/i]
Underworld
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Underworld »

Grigg_Deadbreaker wrote:I use 2e, but there are one or two things I would adapt from 3e, such as poison effects and some of the commoner and aristocrat classes.

My most basic reason for not switching to 3e is that I'm more comfortable with the 2e rules and look. Whatever doesn't work for me or my game I can change. Plus it's not that difficult to back-convert useable material (such as Prestige classes to 2e kits or classes) when need be.

A more worldly reason is that I don't feel like shelling out around $60 for new rules to a game I feel I already have. The main exception, of course, being for RL books. If I decide to switch over to any d20 system rules, it will be for a game other than D&D, maybe Call of Cthulu for example.
Your better off with 2E; although the 3.0 mechanics are better than 2E mechanics IMO. 2E was where the good fluff was for the Ravenloft campaign setting.

~U
Arif Sayeed
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Arif Sayeed »

I prefer 3.0, but there is nothing wrong with 2nd edition. Except for weapon speed modifiers to initiative. I'm sure they make combat more realistic but I hated that stuff.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Well, I play with what you'd call "3.Jakob"...

I just took the best from 3.0 and 3.5 and mashed it together with some HR I invented.

I like it. ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

I know the poll is over, but I'd like to voice to be spoken. I GM several 3.5 campaigns, play in thee 3.5 campaigns, play in 4 3.0 games, DM 2 2.0 games and play in one 2.0 game. I'm all over the shmorgaboard but I love DnD. I'm currently 'downsizing' my collection of books, only keeping the older stuff that I really love and need.
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

You are treasure to be found. Since you actually play in all editions which is your favorite one?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

I have to admit, without Alternity, D20 might not be here. So with that knowledge I have to say 2.0. I don't let that hinder me from coming up with no ideas for the newer editions of the game though. I am always being inspired by something or another. When I stat something for the game, I do it for both 2.0 and 3.5
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I like 3rd edition. I really don't like what they did to the damage reduction in 3.5 using magic as a means to get by it; I liked the old way of wording it. Plus I think some classes were overpowered like the barbarian in 3.5. Though some were improved for the better like the Druid and Ranger.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Though it could be that I learned to play in 3rd edition.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Blackjack
Conspirator
Conspirator

3.5 vs 3

Post by Blackjack »

The damage reduction rules of 3.5 seem a little clearer, only being able to bypass DR with certain materials is the right concept. The changes in the Ravenloft Core Rulebooks were my main reason for moving to 3.5, improved the setting s*%#loads.
beware the moon, and stay off the moors.