DM Style: Silk Glove or Iron Fist

Discussing all roleplaying games

What style do you tend to favor?

Iron fist: players must obey my rules!
No votes
Silk glove: players can call me when they are done...
15%
Both: mix and match
70%
Neither: I've got my own style!
15%

Total votes: 40

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Velvet Glove for me too. As Javier and Jamesravenwind said, I make a detailed world, throw in some adventure ideas in the form of NPC suggestion and I let the players decide what they will do in this large world with the many adventure opportunities.
Once in a while, they choose to do what I want them to do. Most of the times, I have planned a short X adventure in the mountain and they decide to go in the woods hunting for a Y monster that they heard it exists there. I need a lot of creativity, but I learn as I grow old. As for the X adventure, later, they may decide to check it.
However, for the large adventures (likely to take 3-5 sessions) I talk with the players beforehand (or they ask me if they want). Like "We want a ghost adventure" or "How about a large dungeon crawl?" So work doesn't go wasted.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

alhoon wrote:Once in a while, they choose to do what I want them to do. Most of the times, I have planned a short X adventure in the mountain and they decide to go in the woods hunting for a Y monster that they heard it exists there.
But sometimes this monster (in our case a hydra) was very challenging for us. It was a great battle and both of us had had great time!
alhoon wrote:I need a lot of creativity, but I learn as I grow old.
You are a great DM alhoon and trust me you have very much creativity!

alhoon wrote:However, for the large adventures (likely to take 3-5 sessions) I talk with the players beforehand (or they ask me if they want). Like "We want a ghost adventure" or "How about a large dungeon crawl?" So work doesn't go wasted.
...And this is the best choice, everyone is happy! :D
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
The_Confessor
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Iron Fist Beneath a Velvet Glove

Post by The_Confessor »

I have an odd mixture of the Iron Fist/Velvet Glove schools of GMing. I've always looked at RPGs like movies. I tend to think of it in three phases... Preperation (Pre-Production), Execution (Production), and Aftermath (Post-Production)

During Preperation I tend to be Iron Fisted. I tell me players this is what I am allowing and this is where I am setting the location of the chronicle. I detail the themes and moods that are going to be explored in the game and outline a very detailed explination of character creation and player expectation. I'm usually pretty specific, even strict, about it. As a reward though, I tend to offer an extra Feat or something similar to help make things easier.

By doing this and knowing exactly what my group is composed of and what their characters are like I'm able to take the Velvet approach when it comes time for Execution. This make the chronicle play out like a story, where we collectively tell a gothic tale and less like the typical D&D dungeon crawl, monster of the week, or GM vs. Player games. I like to think my approach works, at least for my group and tends to lead to the least headaches for both my players and myself.
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I tend to mix and match. I will not kill pcs just b/c it is funny or appropriate at the time. If the pcs do something dumb that warrants death or refuse to run from battle when they should, then fine, they deserve what they get. The group does not have to follow my planning to a T, and can goof around a little, but I do like a certain degree of seriousness in my campaigns. One thing I like to do that works real well, is to have one big battle during the session and devote the rest of the time to role-playing. That way PCs get a mix of battle and role-playing. And the size of the battle depends on the part in the story.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

As a GM I only have one golden rule:
The GM is always right.

The only exception to this is when I ask my players if they think something should be different, then we HR it.
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

What if the GM is left-handed?
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Reginald de Curry wrote:What if the GM is left-handed?
Then you're screwed.
Trust me, I know from experience.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula