Where can I buy RolePlaying Books in Chicago?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Where can I buy RolePlaying Books in Chicago?

Post by Ail »

Hi,

that's the question. I'm in Chicago at the moment and I'd like to find some bookshop carrying King Arthur Pendragon, of the roleplaying series. Do you know any shop that might have it, and where would it be?

Thank you.

Ail
Grug the Caliban
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Grug the Caliban »

Gamer's Paradise at the Harlem-Irving plaza. Its a huge mall on the corner of Harlem and Irving. hehehe
My homocidal rampage:
Weapon of Choice: A muppet
Your Favorite Target: Necrophiliacs
Your Kill Count: 110,049,246
Your Battle Cry: "Yo mama!"
Years You Spend in Jail: 19
How Much Money In Damages You Cause: $172,171,797,403,556
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: Where can I buy RolePlaying Books in Chicago?

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Ail wrote:I'm in Chicago at the moment and I'd like to find some bookshop carrying King Arthur Pendragon, of the roleplaying series. Do you know any shop that might have it, and where would it be?
It depends somewhat on where in Chicago are you located (and just how far are you willing to travel)... The place that I've had the best luck with finding role-playing books has been Gamer's Paradise in Gurnee Mills Mall (which can be found in the northern suburb of Gurnee). This place has a decent selection of role-playing materials, and they have been very helpful with placing orders for books and items that are not currently in stock.

Another place, which I frequent far less, is Something Wicked in Evanston. An excellent comic book and role-playing store. I don't have as much personal experience with them (due to location), but their stock is very impressive.

Woodfield Mall (located in Schaumburg) has some stores as well, but I tend to frequent Gurnee Mills more often than Woodfield.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Where can I buy RolePlaying Books in Chicago?

Post by Ail »

Well Jason, I'm located in Hyde Park, near the University. I have no idea of where those neighbourhoods are, nor of the distances nor, actually, the bus lines.

Am I near any of those?

Ail
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

If you are located in Hyde Park, then I would say that Something Wicked would be the closest location of the three that I mentioned above. However, Evanston would still be a bit of a drive (or train ride) from where you are located. You should be able to use the train/bus system to get there, though.

Something Wicked
816 Church Street
Evanston, IL 60201

The other two locations are located in the Northern and Western suburbs respectively. While these are great places, you might not find the travel being worth the product selection. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with Hyde Park to know anything that would be conveniently located. I am sure that there is, but nothing comes to my mind.
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Gurnee has a mall? Sheesh leave for 25 years and look what happens. From Lake county myself originally ,Venetian Village/ Lake Villa area.

Maraudar
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

maraudar wrote:Gurnee has a mall?
Sure does, Maraudar, and a pretty good one to boot! I don't recall just how long ago it was that they built Gurnee Mills, but it was definitely within the past 25 years.

maraudar wrote:From Lake county myself originally ,Venetian Village/ Lake Villa area.
Lake Villa is a beautiful area! My wife and I currently live in the Wheeling/Northbrook area, but we are looking at moving northward in the next year or so.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Another place that I have recently found in the Chicagoland area (thanks for spurring into investigating things in more detail) is:

Games Plus
101 West Prospect Avenue
Mount Prospect, Illinois 60056
(847) 577-9656

Games Plus might not be a good choice for you, Ail, since you are in Hyde Park. However, the place has an extensive selection of role-playing games, miniatures, etc. Plus, they have a large gaming area and consistant traffic. You should be able to find your books as well as some fellow gamers during your visit.
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Jason a quick question. Do you happen to know of the cookie factory in Zion? And if so is it still there? I remember going there as a kid and my parents buying bags of cookies that were some of the best around.

Maraudar
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

maraudar wrote:Do you happen to know of the cookie factory in Zion? And if so is it still there?
I am afraid that I am not familiar with the cookie factory in Zion. I have heard mentioned of it before, but it hasn't been a place that my wife and I have ever visited. I'll make it a point to check it out next time we head that far north. However, it might not be around anymore... :?