The Apparatus: What is it good for?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

The Apparatus: What is it good for?

Post by Solan »

The Apparatus is the size of a house, needs a lot of lightning to activate, and for its most common use requires you to abduct the person whom you want to trans possess. Outside of "Thoughts of Darkness", has anyone actually used the Apparatus in his or her campaign?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Apparatus: What is it good for?

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:25 am The Apparatus is the size of a house, needs a lot of lightning to activate, and for its most common use requires you to abduct the person whom you want to trans possess. Outside of "Thoughts of Darkness", has anyone actually used the Apparatus in his or her campaign?
The Apparatus first appeared in House on Gryphon Hill, though the adventure is a mess it has many nice ideas, such as the mesmerists pendulum (similar to the tarokka cards deciding where key parts, objects etc. of the adventure are or NPC objectives.

You don't have to abduct someone to use any PC can use it on them to separate themselves into two different entities. Also it could be used by anyone to switch bodies with someone else, like for instance if a PC has been revived as a flesh golem the essence of that person can switch bodies with a living human.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Solan »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:52 am
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:25 am The Apparatus is the size of a house, needs a lot of lightning to activate, and for its most common use requires you to abduct the person whom you want to trans possess. Outside of "Thoughts of Darkness", has anyone actually used the Apparatus in his or her campaign?
The Apparatus first appeared in House on Gryphon Hill, though the adventure is a mess it has many nice ideas, such as the mesmerists pendulum (similar to the tarokka cards deciding where key parts, objects etc. of the adventure are or NPC objectives.

You don't have to abduct someone to use any PC can use it on them to separate themselves into two different entities. Also it could be used by anyone to switch bodies with someone else, like for instance if a PC has been revived as a flesh golem the essence of that person can switch bodies with a living human.
Don't you need the Rod of Rastinon to perform the splitting function?

Does that mean you've used the Apparatus in your campaign?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pmDon't you need the Rod of Rastinon to perform the splitting function?
Without the rod the Apparatus can only exchange minds between bodies; it cannot split or rejoin a single psyche. According to legend, the Apparatus can also rejoin the psyches it has divided. Theoretically, two normal subjects, each, unique and whole, might be forced to share one body through this process. The stronger body would harbor the two psyches, while the weaker body would become a withered, empty shell. I wonder if Malken (or you know who) would be interested in this power of the Apparatus.

The Rod of Rastinon activates the function of the the Apparatus that allows the separation of a single soul into two parts, so far only resulting in a good and evil split. It is also necessary for reuniting a fragmented psyche. There are several kinds.

The Sacred Barrier, also known as the Rod of Houtras, is one of the rumoured variants of the Rod of Rastinon, and as such, can be used to activate the Apparatus' transpossession power. In addition, it makes the user immune to telepathic contact or manipulation, and the device itself can't be found by any psionic or magic means of location. It is hidden by the Order of the Guardians. The Brotherhood is detailed in "The Brotherhood of Contemplative Power (Article)," in the Undead Sea Scrolls 2002.
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm Does that mean you've used the Apparatus in your campaign?
Well I haven't played a campaign for almost two decades, but reading and writing stuff is still my hobby :shock:
So no I haven't used it but I am thinking of writing something on it, in the far future.

I have written something though in Quoth the Raven #28 p.267-268 below is a summary.

The Rod of Nebenwelt is a crystal shaft, two feet long and a half inch in diameter, almost identical to the Rod of Rastinon or the Rod of Houtras, with silvery sparks occasionally flickering along its length inside, crackling quietly. It was created by Reiner Nebenmann, a novice but brilliant scientist of the Ministry of Science in Falkovnia. This fragile crystal of Wondrous Power operates the Apparatus, unlocking its power to travel to a parallel Demiplane of Dread called Nebenwelt*. The Rod of Nebenwelt hasn’t the power to activate the union and splitting of souls, but without this rod the Alchemist’s machine is able to only perform soul transference.

The parallel Demiplane of Dread called Nebenwelt is 5e Ravenloft 8)

PS
Another idea I just came with is that it can be used by Rudolph von Aubrecker to become something more than :Brain:
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Solan »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:15 pm
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pmDon't you need the Rod of Rastinon to perform the splitting function?
Without the rod the Apparatus can only exchange minds between bodies; it cannot split or rejoin a single psyche. According to legend, the Apparatus can also rejoin the psyches it has divided. Theoretically, two normal subjects, each, unique and whole, might be forced to share one body through this process. The stronger body would harbor the two psyches, while the weaker body would become a withered, empty shell. I wonder if Malken (or you know who) would be interested in this power of the Apparatus.
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:18 pm Does that mean you've used the Apparatus in your campaign?
Well I haven't played a campaign for almost two decades, but reading and writing stuff is still my hobby :shock:
So no I haven't used it but I am thinking of writing something on it, in the far future.

I have written something though in Quoth the Raven #28 p.267-268 below is a summary.

The Rod of Nebenwelt is a crystal shaft, two feet long and a half inch in diameter, almost identical to the Rod of Rastinon or the Rod of Houtras, with silvery sparks occasionally flickering along its length inside, crackling quietly. It was created by Reiner Nebenmann, a novice but brilliant scientist of the Ministry of Science in Falkovnia. This fragile crystal of Wondrous Power operates the Apparatus, unlocking its power to travel to a parallel Demiplane of Dread called Nebenwelt*. The Rod of Nebenwelt hasn’t the power to activate the union and splitting of souls, but without this rod the Alchemist’s machine is able to only perform soul transference.

The parallel Demiplane of Dread called Nebenwelt is 5e Ravenloft 8)

PS
Another idea I just came with is that it can be used by Rudolph von Aubrecker to become something more than :Brain:
You know who? Voldemort :| ?

Ah, so there are different Rods than just the one?

Really? That long? do you have any ambition to play again?

It would be more ironic for the Rift Spanner to take one to Nebenwelt :azalin: .
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pm
You know who? Voldemort :| ?
Malken's alter ego
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pm Ah, so there are different Rods than just the one?
Yap! Officially 2 known so far
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pm Really? That long? do you have any ambition to play again?
Always, I had some high hopes during covid, meaning I hoped I would start playing after that,as some friends of mine are interested in trying it out.But in the end life got in the way as they all work a lot and also travel a lot. I was about to play with some people but my schedule is really chaotic and I usually work at late afternoon - midnight and usually on weekends too so I didn't want to play a game and then disappear so I told them I couldn't.
Solan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pm It would be more ironic for the Rift Spanner to take one to Nebenwelt :azalin: .
Ironic yes but the idea came from The Man in the High Castle, so I placed it in Falkovnia
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

It's off in the distant future of my campaign, (if we ever get back to playing it) but I'd hoped to use it one day to split up my two main villains, who currently find themselves sharing a body. (The ghost of Baron Metus, inhabiting the body of Vir Stannum, the clockwork man.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Check also The Undead Sea Scrolls 2002 for the Rod of Houtras there is an article by Ed Kowalczewski (Edziu) Brotherhood of Contemplative Power (An order of monks located in Barovia) Page 85.