Is Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft worth getting if you own all the 2E/3E books?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Solan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Is Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft worth getting if you own all the 2E/3E books?

Post by Solan »

Mephisto, my sincere thanks for such a detailed, in-depth delve into 5th edition Ravenloft! I was very much impressed with the books put out for the 3rd edition, especially the wonderful Gazetteers. By contrast, I am appalled by almost all of what you describe from 5th edition. That isn't my Ravenloft, the mysterious and horrifying Land of the Mists at all; that's Jake Ravenloft. Thanks for saving me from wasting my money.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Is Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft worth getting if you own all the 2E/3E books?

Post by alhoon »

There are some good parts in the new books, for every taste though. Specific domains or changes have received praise from various people. Perhaps VRGtR is not for you, but I don't think it would be "a waste of money" but at worst "I wouldn't get my money's worth".
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Well VRGtRavenloft has some good ideas but does it really worth buying a whole book costing 50$ or around 35 € for just a few good ideas scattered here and there? People who had the hoped that 5e would continue from where 3e ended (and probably waited that the new book would delve into the Time of Unparallel Darkness) have been mostly disappointed. If someone is new to the Ravenloft Campaign it is sure a good book, for those who already have most 2e and 3e stuff is mostly useless.

I believe anyone can check the book out in their local RPG store to see if its for them though.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe