How similar are the rules of Pathfinder and D&D 3e?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

How similar are the rules of Pathfinder and D&D 3e?

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Hi I found the following book Pathfinder: Occult Adventures and it has some interesting classes for Ravenloft
  • Kineticist
    Medium
    Mesmerist
    Occultist
    Psychic
    Spiritualist
How similar to D&D 3e is Pathfider? (This is not a post to be used for promoting what is the best system, I am just wondering if these two systems are compatible).
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: How similar are the rules of Pathfinder and D&D 3e?

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

They're very compatible.
Pathfinder 1E has also been described as D&D 3.75; it takes D&D 3.5 and makes a number of tweaks.
If you need an online resource to look at, I recommend d20.pfsrd.org.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/
Yes I have taken some monsters from that one and checked out some spells and seemed well made as a system.

Thanks
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Pathfinder is practically tweaked 3.5 edition.
When WotC greedily moved to 4th edition which was controversial to downright unpopular in order to make money from its dominance of the market, Pathfinder greedily backstabbed WotC and (ab)using the OGL used their own tools, to become D&D's main competitor by more or less pushing a homebrewed edition of 3.5.

Pathfinder stealing D&D thanks to the (ab)use of OGL is why we will never ever see an OGL like we did for 3.5 edition, for any kind of gaming Intellectual property.

You practically have two sets of evil decision makers trying to exploit the players, decision-makers that were looking at numbers and I bet half of them have never played a single session of D&D or Pathfinder in the past 20 years.
The shift to 4th edition with decision makers from WotC more or less directly ordering Greenwood and Salvatore and other big-names to change the way they do things and write their novels delivered a big blow to D&D.
5th edition steadily regained that trust (Greenwood had confided to some of the others that they should be ready for things to change back as he saw the writing in the wall) from 2014 to... when WotC greed resurfaced a year ago. You can see the threads with the drama over them trying to screw over the small-time producers in here.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

PF 1 and D&D 3.5 are strictly connected.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

alhoon wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:16 am Pathfinder is practically tweaked 3.5 edition.
When WotC greedily moved to 4th edition which was controversial to downright unpopular in order to make money from its dominance of the market, Pathfinder greedily backstabbed WotC and (ab)using the OGL used their own tools, to become D&D's main competitor by more or less pushing a homebrewed edition of 3.5.

Pathfinder stealing D&D thanks to the (ab)use of OGL is why we will never ever see an OGL like we did for 3.5 edition, for any kind of gaming Intellectual property.

You practically have two sets of evil decision makers trying to exploit the players, decision-makers that were looking at numbers and I bet half of them have never played a single session of D&D or Pathfinder in the past 20 years.
The shift to 4th edition with decision makers from WotC more or less directly ordering Greenwood and Salvatore and other big-names to change the way they do things and write their novels delivered a big blow to D&D.
5th edition steadily regained that trust (Greenwood had confided to some of the others that they should be ready for things to change back as he saw the writing in the wall) from 2014 to... when WotC greed resurfaced a year ago. You can see the threads with the drama over them trying to screw over the small-time producers in here.
As someone whose exposure to DnD comes far more from licensed materials than playing the game, the loss of the novels is such a big blow even when most outside Salvatore and Greenwood were basically cheesy ways to advertise game mechanics.