Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: Back in Borca! More toxic stuff!)

Post by Joël of the FoS »

And here's the journal for session 95.

Next game in a few weeks.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Finally back and playing catchup....

<reads>
They explore the manor again, and choose their room:
Ha ha, Exigu gets locked a broom closet, and Tora doesn't even get a door.
Could be worse I suppose. The coat storage area under the stairs was available...
Jacqueline Montarri?

Damn. Is there a "Head Collector Convention" in town? First G and now JM. Will the Horseman make an appearance?
The old woman died a few weeks ago. Among the Vistani, leadership is the right of the women because they are the ones who usually have the power of second sight and the ability to travel the mists.
Ah ha, will they experience a variation of "Touch of Death"?
They put it in the vardo, with the two angry vistani brothers ;)
I'm sure that really warmed them to the heros.
He gives her one gp for the basket (value of 1/10 of it, perhaps even less).
I guessed this meant that he paid 10 times the actual value of the basket. Is this right?

Vendor: Guard!
Guard: Yeah?
Vendor: This bloke won't haggle.
Guard: Won't Haggle?!
Varadan: Oh, all right ... I mean do we have to ...
She talks to it and pretends that it answers her back lie many pet owners do.
Bashat: "Oh but I do answer. Just with the air of silent contempt that all cats have for mere humans".
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Joël of the FoS

DustBunny wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:17 pmAh ha, will they experience a variation of "Touch of Death"?
Indeed. I'm using the toys of ToD, but I'm using these in my version. It will be mixed with other things in Har Akir.

And I'm not using the let's watch and eat popcorn end of ToD :) As written in the adventure, this would be an insult to veteran players.

I'll probably have this ToD arc end with a big fight with Senmet and Isu, location to be thought of.
They put it in the vardo, with the two angry vistani brothers ;)
I'm sure that really warmed them to the heros.
Surely not, but it thought it was funny :) They needed a place to hide the body as they didn't want to enter Mudar with a dead body. First impressions can only happen once ;)
Vendor: Guard!
Guard: Yeah?
Vendor: This bloke won't haggle.
Guard: Won't Haggle?!
Varadan: Oh, all right ... I mean do we have to ...
Ah ah, funny. I'll use that if they go back to the market.
She talks to it and pretends that it answers her back lie many pet owners do.
Bashat: "Oh but I do answer. Just with the air of silent contempt that all cats have for mere humans".
It would be fun to add a few powers to this cat, and make it a dread companion.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Nice to see a modified version of Touch of Death, especially with the modified 5e Har'Akir map! Honestly the only thing that seemed to be missing from the map was that one excavation point-of-interest, but otherwise it looks the same as I remember it. It's honestly a pretty useful map and gives at least a bit more to do in Har'Akir than the base map. I also love the road additions, Joel!

Things definitely seem to be going very interestingly, with so many small and large plots that have either come and gone or are already being set-up. The stuff with the Praesidius and Ivana really feels true to Borgia-style politics, and the PCs meeting the Jongleur and all the interactions at the dinner-table on that particular part of the session must've been fun to be a part of, in terms of both the roleplay and the general tone/ambience at the table as it was happening in real time. At least your Jongleur is still alive to play with :)

Btw Joel, you probably already have a map of your own for Misericordia but if you're ever looking for a map of the manor for another campaign or game, I used this one that was made by a mapmaker on the Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft discord server: This individual also made maps of Sturben, Levkarest, and Lechberg, like these:

Maybe these might help, but it's probably not useful anymore given that you're on session 95(!) of your own Borca campaign, but maybe they'll help someone else on these boards!
Joël of the FoS

Thanks for the comments!
Speedwagon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:31 pm Nice to see a modified version of Touch of Death,
Very modified. I kept the intro (travel to HarAkir with vistani), will use the good/evil Isu parts, the people vanishing at night (Senmet and the desert zombies), but also I need to add the Death Stone investigation, as well as the Falkovnians looking for something in the desert, à la Indiana Jones as discussed.

The end with Isu/Senmet is not finalized yet, but I think of a classic crypt exploration with these two bosses fight (Isu and Senmet).

Won’t use the ToD end as written.
especially with the modified 5e Har'Akir map! Honestly the only thing that seemed to be missing from the map was that one excavation point-of-interest, but otherwise it looks the same as I remember it. It's honestly a pretty useful map and gives at least a bit more to do in Har'Akir than the base map. I also love the road additions, Joel!
The 2e and 3e era maps were quite bland :)

Yes I think the roads are a fun addition to this map.

You see I removed many locations on the 5e map, as the PC do not this when they arrive. It’s a players map to Har Akir.

But one feature of 5e Har Akir I do not keep is the Labyrinth. I find it silly that all tombs are connected by an « underground level ». No, just no.
Btw Joel, you probably already have a map of your own for Misericordia but if you're ever looking for a map of the manor for another campaign or game, I used this one that was made by a mapmaker on the Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft discord server:
Those are amazing, wow. Yes, I’ve made my owns but they are nowhere as nice as these.

I like the various secret passages here and there, fun ideas in this.

I compared quickly mine and this one and a few things are missing I think from these maps (but it’s not that difficult ot retrofit):

- I also made a garden map of the walled estate.
- Inside, an Ezra shrine is missing.
- There are no guestrooms which I think is a need in this house (of which one for Nostalia)
- A room for the Jongleur
- Underground : A mushroom garden, a wine cellar, a spot for the death Stone

Fun maps of the cities too. I made one for Levkarest but I’ll keep the others!
Maybe these might help, but it's probably not useful anymore given that you're on session 95(!) of your own Borca campaign, but maybe they'll help someone else on these boards!
I’m at session 95, but the Borca arc lasted from sessions 85 to 95 only!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 ambut also I need to add the Death Stone investigation, as well as the Falkovnians looking for something in the desert, à la Indiana Jones as discussed.
Have you decided who their René Belloq is? "What was briefly yours PC's is now mine" :mrgreen:

Though how will the naz Falkies keep their dig going. A lot of people in a deset requires a lot of water. Though with that ties into something I have always been curious with Muhar. If your're not allowed to take water away from the oasis, how do people travel, bathe, or even cook?
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

DustBunny wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:48 pm
Joël of the FoS wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 ambut also I need to add the Death Stone investigation, as well as the Falkovnians looking for something in the desert, à la Indiana Jones as discussed.
Have you decided who their René Belloq is? "What was briefly yours PC's is now mine" :mrgreen:
Maybe introduce someone from the Dementlieuse faculty of archaeology and history? ^_^
DustBunny wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:48 pmThough how will the naz Falkies keep their dig going. A lot of people in a deset requires a lot of water. Though with that ties into something I have always been curious with Muhar. If your're not allowed to take water away from the oasis, how do people travel, bathe, or even cook?
I imagine the Falkovnians wouldn't give a hoot about local law, and would just force the people of Muhar to create a supply train that keeps them in water. Or else.
As for the locals, there could be bathing huts near the oasis, I suppose. And maybe they would be allowed to take out enough water to keep them alive and supply the merchants that help the village survive.
Joël of the FoS

DustBunny wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:48 pm
Well they have a long time "friend" in the Falkovnian army, Helmut. He hates the PCs. Guess who happens to be in charge of the soldiers in Har Akir :)
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:38 am
DustBunny wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:48 pmThough how will the naz Falkies keep their dig going. A lot of people in a deset requires a lot of water. Though with that ties into something I have always been curious with Muhar. If your're not allowed to take water away from the oasis, how do people travel, bathe, or even cook?
I imagine the Falkovnians wouldn't give a hoot about local law, and would just force the people of Muhar to create a supply train that keeps them in water. Or else.
As for the locals, there could be bathing huts near the oasis, I suppose. And maybe they would be allowed to take out enough water to keep them alive and supply the merchants that help the village survive.
It will be simpler, something that would have an extremely high value in Har Akir : a decanter of endless water.

But indeed it's quite sure the F will behave like assholes and make everybody upset ;)
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc)

For those following, here's the journal for session 96.

Har'Akir adventure!

Next game in a few weeks.
Joël of the FoS

Re: Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

For those following, here's the journal for session 97.

Isu fight!

Next game Sunday: the Pact Stone Pyramid!
Joël of the FoS

Been a while!

Here's sessions 98 to 102. All those five game sessions are covering the exploration of the deadly Pact Stone pyramid.

It was a lot of fun for the DM as well as the PCs.

here's the link!

And yes, we passed the 100 sessions milestone!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:20 pm And yes, we passed the 100 sessions milestone!
Congrats.
Did you get a congratulations message from the King for hitting 100? :azalin:

Still, it seems now the PC's have to deal with Four hungry vampires, a demon, some angry Falkies, and Nebta-Khufre ready to backstab them. Though can the vampires leave the tomb, or will they return to their alcoves and re-stake themselves?

Out of curiosity did they ever open any of the Pharaohs sarcophagi (not counting the fiend pharaoh's box)?
I assume doing so would have been... bad ...despite the potential loot.

Though on that, is the clock gem counting down to a planned event? (ToUD prehaps?). Or is it just a 'mysterious artifact' at this point.
Udjebet – How kind of you. I’ll ask that you have a statue of you for your example of
charming behavior.
And it will be soooo lifelike, dear. Now if you'll just stand there for a moment....
Joël of the FoS

DustBunny wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:47 pm Still, it seems now the PC's have to deal with Four hungry vampires, a demon, some angry Falkies, and Nebta-Khufre ready to backstab them. Though can the vampires leave the tomb, or will they return to their alcoves and re-stake themselves?
I guess the vamps will watch the place for a while (a year?), then decide the invaders are not coming back, then indeed, possibly re-stalk themselves.
Out of curiosity did they ever open any of the Pharaohs sarcophagi (not counting the fiend pharaoh's box)?
I assume doing so would have been... bad ...despite the potential loot.
They were quite fearful, after the numerous traps and the perverse sense of playing they sensed in these traps. So they avoided the Pharaoh’s tombs.

But, indeed, there were planned fun bits...

The Cerulean Pharaoh (the room with the mummy blue dragon) was free of traps, as he was counting on the dragon. Missed free looting opportunity.

Ankana's is the only Pharaoh still alive, sleeping while waiting for someone to play a game of weight where the looser is crushed on the ceiling. Then looting!

The Pharaoh of Numbers's body would have disintegrated when they opened the sarcophagus, and was like an undead belker. Parts of the undead was "shredding" into gaseous numbers that were forcing themselves into the lungs of the victims, then turning to claws shredding the victim from the inside. Then looting!

I could eventually have the Librarians mounting an expedition and asking the PCs for protection.
Though on that, is the clock gem counting down to a planned event? (ToUD prehaps?). Or is it just a 'mysterious artifact' at this point.
It has no game purpose for the moment. It was in the original Paizo adventure, where it is featured as a mysterious object to bring out to someone who forces you to enter to bring back the Pact Stone. Exactly as I used it.
Udjebet – How kind of you. I’ll ask that you have a statue of you for your example of charming behavior.
And it will be soooo lifelike, dear. Now if you'll just stand there for a moment....
;) I like to have villains literally saying what they are known for, without the PCs understanding. I had the same nerdish fun with Montarri, she was making "lose your head" jokes.

Next: finding Isu in the desert and eliminate her! The PCs know something called Senmet is with her, but they have no idea of its powers.

Then back to Ivana’s arms.