Crossovers & Culture Clashes

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Crossovers & Culture Clashes

Post by Hell_Born »

Firstly, the obligatory: I know that the idea of crossing over between Gothic Earth and the wider D&D multiverse isn't popular (that's more Ravenloft's thing), but there is no malice here.

Anyway, the idea has been percolating in my head for a while of a British qabal that is basically the Victorian government's first fumbling attempt to put together some kind of anti-supernatural investigation task force - sort of a prototype to Marvel's SHIELD (or specifically its subdivisions ARMOR, STAKE and WAND). I don't know if I should use the British Society for Paranormal Research from the Book of Sorrows or a homebrew qabal. Anyway! The point is, a mysterious meteorite strike brings this qabal into the "remote countryside" (as much as that term applies to Britain in the 1890s), only for them to discover that the "shooting star" that fell to (Gothic) Earth isn't a chunk of space rock... it's a wrecked spelljammer. And its crew, a party of high level (13-15) veteran planeswalkers and spelljammers, is still alive. Now, the foreign adventurers aren't hostile or inherently malicious - they just want to repair their ship and leave. But that doesn't make them any less strange to the natives - and vice-versa.

So... what are some possible cultural clashes and confusions that could arise from this meeting, presuming the qabalites don't just immediately start shooting at the sight of movement within the ship? Any ideas?

Heck, let's go beyond that; what are some possible interesting cultural confrontations that could arise from any convergence that sees a character from elsewhere in the D&D multiverse ending up in Gothic Earth?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Crossovers & Culture Clashes

Post by alhoon »

A party of 13-15 level NPCs in Gothic earth will cut through that Qabal of yours like hot butter if the Qabal pushes things. Also, the cultural clash would depend very heavily on the personalities of the people involved. I doubt 19th century rural England is tolerant but they would not be tolerant to the Qabal's magic either!. The views on magic back then were not exactly benign.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

alhoon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:06 pm A party of 13-15 level NPCs in Gothic earth will cut through that Qabal of yours like hot butter if the Qabal pushes things.
Pretty much this. The power level gap between outlanders and GE natives is lopsided in the favor of the former in the 19th Century. The outlanders' better grasp of magic would also negate any real advantages the natives have, including firearms short of a Gatling gun (which did exist in the 1890s).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

High Priest Mikhal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:20 pm
alhoon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:06 pm A party of 13-15 level NPCs in Gothic earth will cut through that Qabal of yours like hot butter if the Qabal pushes things.
Pretty much this. The power level gap between outlanders and GE natives is lopsided in the favor of the former in the 19th Century. The outlanders' better grasp of magic would also negate any real advantages the natives have, including firearms short of a Gatling gun (which did exist in the 1890s).
It did exist, even the Maxim machineguns existed. That said, spelljammer has a ton of things, including flamethrowers. The Outlanders have access to fantasy-equivalent of modern (and future) tech.
Now, if HB wants these Outlanders to be the herards of the apocalypse with great prowess and bizarre and alien powers and magic, the more power to him.

HB: Just be aware that this group of Outlanders would probably be able to take an entire regiment of the British army without breaking a sweat.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Gotta admit, I didn't think they would be considered that strong. Thanks for the input.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"