Insane asylms of the core?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:(It's a residence of sorts, but not a private residence, hence was no more off limits to vampires than an inn.)
OTOH, Dracula can't enter Seward's asylum until Renfield invites him in (near the beginning of Chapter 21). Of course, a well-run 19th century sanitarium is a different proposition from, say, Bedlam, which was explicitly open to the public for a fee.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Speaking of insanity, how did the Clinic for the Mentally Distressed get hijacked into the Nightmare Lands physically? Is it detailed everywhere or did it just jump there from the Nightmare Lands supplement to Domains of Dread? It almost reads like the writer misread the nature of Trasker's Nightmare Asylum, but I could be wrong.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

The asylum wasn't moved at all; it was just copied. The people inside were the ones who got hijacked.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Eh, it's a distinction VRGtV took pains to draw. I only remembered because I'd had to look it up when I was determining whether or not a ship's quarters should count as a "residence" for the sea monster book. (Conclusion: officers' private cabins yes, crew bunks and passenger cabins no.)
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Nathan of the FoS wrote:OTOH, Dracula can't enter Seward's asylum until Renfield invites him in (near the beginning of Chapter 21). Of course, a well-run 19th century sanitarium is a different proposition from, say, Bedlam, which was explicitly open to the public for a fee.
Moreover, Renfield was in a private sanitarium that Seward actually had his own living quarters in, IIRC. The Waterdeep asylum was a piece of civic infrastructure, owned and operated by the city, hence no more "private" than a courthouse or public hospital.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Dharlaeth Asylum - Doctor Augustus - location?

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... /20071031a

At a glance, no location is given. The doctor's name is latin, which is to say Darkonese, but that doesn't tell us that much. Not sure which language to associate the asylum's name with.
The cure for what ails you
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

cure wrote:Dharlaeth Asylum - Doctor Augustus - location?

At a glance, no location is given. The doctor's name is latin, which is to say Darkonese, but that doesn't tell us that much. Not sure which language to associate the asylum's name with.
Well, I associate Dharlaeth with the Cthulhu mythos, in phonetic terms exclusively. I aslo don't have a real-world language I can offer as counterpart, but say Dharlaeth, and recall Nyarlathotep or something similar.

Anyway, the author is Mouseferatu iirc, so when he's around you might ask him ;-)
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Agamemnon
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Agamemnon »

Not to mention that "Dharlaeth" is quite close to Derleth, as in August Derleth, H. P. Lovecraft's biggest fan and tireless post-humous promoter. He also wrote some cthulhoid short stories himself, but most people agree that they're not on par with the rest of the Lovecraft circle's. To put it mildly.

Cheers.
[i]"They'll play what I tell 'em to play. For I am the mayor of Albuquerque!"[/i]
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Agamemnon wrote:Not to mention that "Dharlaeth" is quite close to Derleth, as in August Derleth, H. P. Lovecraft's biggest fan and tireless post-humous promoter. He also wrote some cthulhoid short stories himself, but most people agree that they're not on par with the rest of the Lovecraft circle's. To put it mildly.

Cheers.
You're right! Perhaps that was the name in my subconscious, pointing in that direction :)
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Considering how a writer-of-scary-tomes named "Comte d'Erlette" is an official part of HPL's Cthulhu canon, something tells me Lovecraft would be pleased by the asylum's name. :)
Icecubez
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re:

Post by Icecubez »

Ail wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm
cure wrote:Dharlaeth Asylum - Doctor Augustus - location?

Well, I associate Dharlaeth with the Cthulhu mythos, in phonetic terms exclusively. I aslo don't have a real-world language I can offer as counterpart, but say Dharlaeth, and recall Nyarlathotep or something similar.

Anyway, the author is Mouseferatu iirc, so when he's around you might ask him ;-)

I went to ask him and he says its in Lamordia. https://bsky.app/profile/mouseferatu.bs ... lemhzy2l2n
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Insane asylms of the core?

Post by alhoon »

Heheheh... that's a necro I can stand behind.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!