Spellscales

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Spellscales

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Consider for a moment, the Spellscale people of the 3.5 book Races of the Dragon. When we consider their attitudes may shift greatly from day to day, and the fact that some of the dragon gods they honour through their blood-quickening meditations, how would they fare in the Demiplane of Dread?
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Spellscales

Post by tomokaicho »

I think I would just let it work as it should. One of the problems with Ravenloft is the strictness of some of the rules. A good example is any spell with the shadow descriptor. In Ravenloft, shadow = "evil" because of course it is. So when you cast a spell with the shadow descriptor, there is a good chance of spawning an undead shadow equal to your caster level. Meaning, there is a good chance that you get killed by the side effect of your own spell. The result is that PCs never cast these spells, which is a shame. There should be nuance, like these effects only happening when you also have to roll a powers check.
LeMaxul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by LeMaxul »

Well, if you want to give the spellscales a darker theme, you can change the origin of their dragonic heritage to dragon communion; consuming the blood/heart of a dragon to gain its power(s), becoming more like a dragon yourself. Some power-hungry spellscales wish for more dragonic essence, but since dragons are super rare in the misty domains, they've turned to draining other spellscales.
I don't know any domains themed around dragons or dragon worship, but something like that should fit spellscales as a point of origin. I think that the older of spellscales would make great dragon-themed vampires, always stalking the mists for more draconic blood! Maybe draconians (dragonborn/lizardfolk) have legends about the spellscales vampires, but they falsely presume that all spellscales are vampires!
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

^^ That's a neat twist. It's definitely giving Highlander vibes.