Children of the Night: Giants

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Children of the Night: Giants

Post by alhoon »

KingCorn wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:06 pm I may have found a real-life example of the Falkovnian Giant Soldiers: The Potsdam Giants, Fredrick the Great's Dad (also named Fredrick) regiment of 'giant soldiers' (a little bit over 6ft which was impressive at the time), and was over time filled with giants sent over from other monarchs such as Peter the Great and even an Ottoman Sultan, all basically as a weird diplomatic gift.
Fredrick also tried to pair these giant guys with giant gals, something which even Charles Darwin commented on in 'The Descent of Man'. When his son, The Great, took over, he downgraded the regiment cause, ya know, this whole things was kinda silly.

So there we go: A german king, whose bloodline would one day found the German Empire, had giant soldiers which he collected from other monarchs. Honestly, it makes whatever Falkovnia could cook up seem almost sensible.
Indeed a regiment of big men, bred for their size like horses has a ... special gothic ring to it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!