Bloodroot or...?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Bloodroot or...?

Post by Jeremy16 »

While researching ideas for future monsters, I faintly recall coming across a creature similiar to an evil treant but it was called a bloodroot, or possibly bloodrot. But, now I can't find the reference again for the life of me! Is anyone here familiar with such a thing or am I just making it all up in my head? Ideally, what I'm looking for (no particular reason bwwaaahhahaahah) is an evil plant whose reach extends underground via their root system (where PCs are less likely to expect encountering it). I'm leaning towards making my own monster up by just reskinning an evil treant, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if it's already out there.
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Bloodroot or...?

Post by DustBunny »

Maybe this the one you mean this one from p115 in Denizens of Darkness?
Its not actually a tree with roots, but more just a standalone root system.
I'll just put the description so the copyright Gods dont get displeased :gabrielle:

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

And

CR3 Characters with ranks in Knowledge (nature) can learn more about bloodroots. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

DC Result
13 These writhing, crimson-tinted tendrils are a bloodroot. This result reveals all plant traits.
18 Bloodroots feed by poisoning their prey. This toxin causes euphoria, followed by death. The bloodroot then drains the blood from the victim’s corpse.
23 A bloodroot uses scent and vibration to sense its surroundings. It is unaffected by sight- or sound-based effects. Its sap can be distilled into bloodroot poison (for effects, see the DMG).

While a cool monster, it's not treant based.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

DustBunny wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:06 am Maybe this the one you mean this one from p115 in Denizens of Darkness?
Its not actually a tree with roots, but more just a standalone root system.
I'll just put the description so the copyright Gods dont get displeased :gabrielle:

By the gods, I think you got it! That would explain why I couldn't find it on the web. I'll have to pull out my copy and refresh my memory. Thanks so much DustBunny!!!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Although not the one you asked for there is also this bloodroot plant from Dungeon #126 “Vampires of Waterdeep: Blood of Malar” which is illegal in Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms).

Bloodroot was a plant root that grew only in the Mhair Jungles.

It heightened the taste of blood and was therefore highly addictive to vampires, but not particularly to anyone else. On initial consumption, the user could feel dazed, but in vampires, it had the potential to instigate a rage upon smelling blood. Some were known to create a poison from the bloodroot for use with blowpipe darts.
Joël of the FoS wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:16 am CR3 Characters with ranks in Knowledge (nature) can learn more about bloodroots. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.
The Forgotten Realms version could be used in a failed check or it may be combined with the dread version.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I like both versions. The "grab'em and suck them!" one that works like a spider and the "goodnight my little one... for-ever!" that can be used to make drugs.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:16 am I like both versions. The "grab'em and suck them!" one that works like a spider and the "goodnight my little one... for-ever!" that can be used to make drugs.
I have already combined them in an article I am writing.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:21 pm
alhoon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:16 am I like both versions. The "grab'em and suck them!" one that works like a spider and the "goodnight my little one... for-ever!" that can be used to make drugs.
I have already combined them in an article I am writing.
For all that I have unthinkingly assumed you would write articles for the forthcoming Quoth, it's still good to hear that you are working on something. :)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:37 pm For all that I have unthinkingly assumed you would write articles for the forthcoming Quoth, it's still good to hear that you are working on something. :)
Yes I am currently writing three (some of them are almost completed) and I have found time to finish with the images and corrections from issue 29 so in a few weeks we are going to upload the corrected version. Sorry for the delay, life caught up with me :?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:25 pm Sorry for the delay, life caught up with me :?
Life does that, I've noticed!