Ivan as cousin of Ivana - link?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Ivan as cousin of Ivana - link?

Post by alhoon »

I honestly don't think matrilineal marriages where the children belong to the mother's original family, were ever a thing in the West. It was something devised by Crusader Kings II as far as I know, the idea borrowed from some rare small states or tribes in the the far East and Africa.
I am very surprised to find that matrilineal marriage is supposed to have happened in a Europe-like culture.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Well don't forget that we are talking about a domain were the darklord is a misandrist.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:55 pm Well don't forget that we are talking about a domain were the darklord is a misandrist.
I did Forget that... you are right.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

You are right that matrilineal marriage is an ahistorical. At least, it was exceedingly rare in the middle ages.

In terms of Ivana Boritsi, her affiliation with House Dilisnya could simply be a matter of affinity, and thus is considered a member of that House. Certainly there is no one that could gainsay her anyway.

It occurs to me that House Dilisnya is perhaps the most influential in the Dread Domains. 2 domains (although now one). Family members everywhere.

The only families don't even get close, although the Reniers come second place. The Reniers are probably the best family for a PC with a "dread" Ravenloft family.