Curse of Strahd Boxed Set

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of Strahd Boxed Set

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Opened mine today. It's very nicely done. If I didn't know the Beadle and Grimm version was coming, I'd be more excited, I think. But it definitely got a lot of love put into it for the price. The Tarokka deck is huge, and I agree that the lidded box is very nice. But the cards themselves still feel a little cheap, even with the cool embossing on the back. They won't replace my 3e version as the go-to set I use.

The DM screen might replace my 2e one, though. The art is nice and understated, and it's sturdy.

As a known Ravenloft hoarder, I'd be hard pressed to actually use the postcards, but they are cute. The map is gorgeous, and if I had more wall space, I might frame it.

Only trouble is where to put the darn thing. Doesn't fit on my D&D Shelf. (though not much would at this point). So I found a spot across the room on a different shelf.

I'm scared to think where I will have to find room for the B&G one. I'm also a little disturbed that I will soon have 7 versions of this same adventure, and have never actually ran it. :P
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Mine is still in the Amazon mail... I bought from Amazon US because Amazon Canada didn't have the new minis sets when I ordered it.

I shall wait patiently.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I'm scared to think where I will have to find room for the B&G one.
Didn't order this one. 400$! Is it an official product?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:But the cards themselves still feel a little cheap, even with the cool embossing on the back. They won't replace my 3e version as the go-to set I use.
The 3e ones can fray a little at the edges. They are the best looking set, but I avoid using them often to avoid damage.
It will be nice to have a new set to rotate in.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:The map is gorgeous, and if I had more wall space, I might frame it.
I was quite happy with the quality of that. It feels semi-laminated. A more durable light plastic coating.
Joël of the FoS wrote:Didn't order this one. 400$! Is it an official product?
Semi-official. Different company but officially licensed.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:Didn't order this one. 400$! Is it an official product?
Semi-official. Different company but officially licensed.
So, as official as say, the whole 3e Arthaus line. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

Sunk pretty much all my spare cash and profits from the DMsGuild for six months into the Beadle & Grimm box, which arrived today.
Because I'm a huge Ravenloft nut and really needed retail therapy. And if I didn't I'd probably regret it and have non-buyer's remorse for years. (Like my passing on a collector's edition of the 3e campaign setting.)

It came in a HUGE box:

I was not expecting a map tube

Inside were a couple scrolls. Mysterious.

There's a LOT of maps. Big thick clothy paper. Nicely textured. (Keep markers away)

And the puppets, of course. Everyone knows about them.

And then the box itself...

Jester of the FoS

Okay, inside the box itself.
Nice red paper interiour.

Starts off pretty simple

There's a folio with all the maps, including a pamphlet with the new non-isometric castle maps.

I don't think this needs any explanation

Also this little baggy holding three coins. Solid metal and with some heft.

A small set of table tents with images from the adventure:

Another copy of the Tarokka deck. Same oversized cards as the other boxed set.

Big stack of monster cards.
These are table tents with the full statblock on one side and an image on another. They might hang nicely on a DMs Screen
Mostly recycled art but I think there's a couple new pieces.

Then there's this package of handouts and miscellaneous items.

Blank paper and envelopes so you can invite people to your game. And four wax seal stickers

The expected hand-outs and a page out of the Tome of Strahd

Stickers for the Wizard of Wines winery, which you can paste over the labels of wine bottles for some extra flavour at the table. Ages 18+

The map from the original, so you're not missing anything.

A little extra advice on Strahd inviting you to the castle, expanding on that idea.

It's one of the bonus encounters added for the box. Each is given a small folded two-page sheet.

There are pregens included.
A halfling warlock, human paladin, elf ranger, half-elf rogue, and a human cleric.

The adventure itself, in a half-dozen softcover booklettes.

Standard DM screen. Portrait not landscape (boo) but new image and nice, thick cardstock.

And we end with a table tend of Strahd himself.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Got mine yesterday as well. It's truly a beauty. To be honest, I bought it mainly as a collector, but seeing it makes me want to learn 5e and play with it ASAP. Sadly, there's a pandemic going on, and this really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. I wouldn't want to play this one over webcam. At least that gives me some time to learn 5e, I guess. :| Also, once we are able to gather again, the choice of playing my established campaign vs. running new characters through CoS, is going to be a tough one. But it is begging to be played. Maybe I'll find a way to run an abbreviated version inside my campaign? I dunno.

In any case, the Holy Symbol is my favorite part. Seeing it in real life warmed this ancient fan's heart. And it's heavy! So well made. The "wax seals" were a super-cute touch. I was pleasantly surprised that the main box fit nicely on a shelf, unlike the Revamped version. The map tube is more of a pain to store, but worth it, as the maps are gorgeous. The "weathered" paper artifacts are really nicely done. (Those scrolls are the Durst will and Durst deed, by the way). Thanks for taking all those unboxing pics, Jester, you captured it in all its glory! (Did you find the "in-world map of Barovia" or the "Dinner with Strahd" tips? I didn't dig through everything yet.) And yes, the finger puppets are adorable, and they even printed "is no fun, is no Blinsky!" on the plastic baggie that holds them. Attention to detail is amazing throughout.

If you told me the most lovingly crafted Ravenloft collectible I'd ever seen would be from a company founded by Mathew Lilliard, I wouldn't have believed you, but here it is...
Jester of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Got mine yesterday as well. It's truly a beauty. To be honest, I bought it mainly as a collector, but seeing it makes me want to learn 5e and play with it ASAP. Sadly, there's a pandemic going on, and this really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. I wouldn't want to play this one over webcam. At least that gives me some time to learn 5e, I guess.
I quite like 5e. It quickly became my preferred version of D&D. The focus on DM empowerment and away from min-maxing and hard rules really enables as world like Ravenloft to shine.

And Curse of Strahd would be a fine first foray into 5e.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Also, once we are able to gather again, the choice of playing my established campaign vs. running new characters through CoS, is going to be a tough one. But it is begging to be played. Maybe I'll find a way to run an abbreviated version inside my campaign? I dunno.
Thankfully, campaigns don't expire. This will still be there in six months or a year, after your return to your established campaign for a bit.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I was pleasantly surprised that the main box fit nicely on a shelf, unlike the Revamped version.
No kidding. One of these is a extra-deluxe $400 limited edition collector's box. And the other is a slightly pricier boxed set:

They look reversed.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:The map tube is more of a pain to store, but worth it, as the maps are gorgeous.
I have a cardboard Strahd standee, so I slipped the tube in there, giving it extra weight.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Did you find the "in-world map of Barovia" or the "Dinner with Strahd" tips? I didn't dig through everything yet.)
Saw the "dinner with Strahd" tips but didn't read.
Didn't look through all the maps. Really, I should. Official maps of the castle in non-isoelectric fashion are probably a must-examine.
Haven't really flipped through everything beyond snapping pictures. The collector in me is afraid of damaging something.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:And yes, the finger puppets are adorable, and they even printed "is no fun, is no Blinsky!" on the plastic baggie that holds them. Attention to detail is amazing throughout.
Tragically, I just tore open the bag rather than using scissors (to avoid cutting a puppet) and destroyed the baggie before I noticed that. A horrible mistake.
Joël of the FoS

I hate you all.

Ordered.

;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:I quite like 5e. It quickly became my preferred version of D&D. The focus on DM empowerment and away from min-maxing and hard rules really enables as world like Ravenloft to shine.
This is what I hear from most people. The trouble is that I think my players and I have ossified. Most of us just don't have it in us to learn a new system again. Whether PF 1e is the best system to use or not, it's our system that we know, so it's "good enough".
Thankfully, campaigns don't expire. This will still be there in six months or a year, after your return to your established campaign for a bit.
Trouble is that even before the pandemic, life got in the way of our gaming, and we were lucky to play once in six months or a year. So to use that precious time on something other than the main campaign is a hard sell. Anyway, I'll find a way to work it out. It seems sacrilegious to let this set go unplayed on a shelf forever. (Though the collector in me will have a hard time using any of the disposable bits like the stickers and envelopes.
Jester of the FoS wrote:I have a cardboard Strahd standee, so I slipped the tube in there, giving it extra weight.
Nice. my Strahd standee remains packed away because it scares the children. Someday....
Jester of the FoS wrote:Tragically, I just tore open the bag rather than using scissors (to avoid cutting a puppet) and destroyed the baggie before I noticed that. A horrible mistake.
Ack! maybe they can send you a new one? (just an empty baggie) (oh, we crazy collectors....)
Joël of the FoS

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I have a cardboard Strahd standee
Same here, but it's the wife. Had it packed.

Not that I had the habit to change its place all the time to surprise people...
Joël of the FoS

Just received it (wow, 3 days to ship in Montréal from USA).

Wow, just wow.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

If anyone is interested in just the coins or the holy symbol, those items are now available separately:
https://pandemoniumwarehouse.com/collec ... 3a662d6f09
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

If anyone still wants these and hasn't yet taken the plunge, B&G is running a 20% off sale:
https://beadleandgrimms.com/collections ... m=campaign