Dr Rudolph van Richten is a Factotum

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dr Rudolph van Richten is a Factotum

Post by tomokaicho »

As in the character class. This may be totally random but I just had the epiphany that the Factotum base class is perfect for van Richten, and accurately represents his various jack-of-all-trades abilities. Perhaps I am overreacting, but I feel blown away by this revelation since I had never made the connection before.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dr Rudolph van Richten is a Factotum

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Except that Rudolph does not cast spells, it is obvious from his various guides since he speaks about arcane and divine magic from a witnesses point of view and not from experience.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 pm Except that Rudolph does not cast spells, it is obvious from his various guides since he speaks about arcane and divine magic from a witnesses point of view and not from experience.
The factotum has a "vague understanding of magic", not spellcasting, which is quite in line with van Richten. Ditto with Opportunistic Piety. The good doctor has various holy symbols and accoutrements, and has a bit of ability in warding off the undead.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mechanically, this "vague understanding" is spellcasting.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

He could be a Master (from the Dragonlance setting) with primary and secondary focus of professional and sage respectively.