Query on Meekulbrau

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Carrion Crow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Query on Meekulbrau

Post by Carrion Crow »

Hi All

As a gamer and amateur brewer, I do like to see if I can replicate "famous" beers from fictional sources. I have attempted an alcoholic version of Butterbeer from Harry Potter, which did come out reasonably well (although it needs tweaking) and my thoughts turned to the infamous beverage of Kartakass.

Now, the description from 2E canon products states that this is a heady, bitter brew, made using the Meekulbern berries and stains the teeth and lips red. My understanding of this, based on the description, was that this was a dark beer, flavoured with berries, but a fair amount of sources (including the Mistipedia) state that Meekulbrau is a wine.

Is the fact that it's a wine canon and, if so, what is the source?
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Query on Meekulbrau

Post by DustBunny »

Carrion Crow wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:22 am Is the fact that it's a wine canon and, if so, what is the source?
It's a wine - Feast of Goblyns module, under the Greater Wolfwere entry...

When the victims of a greater wolfwere attack are left to rot and not eaten or buried properly, there is a 50% chance that a Meekulbrau plant will sprout from the corpse. The berries from this bush are used in making Meekulbrau, a special wine of Kartakass.

Though it also says 'wandering brewers' make the drink earlier in the module, wereas I thought one who makes wine is a 'vintner' and not a brewer.
It would be curious how it tastes - but probably wouldnt like it. Putting aside the whole blood thing, I prefer my reds to be smooth. :)
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Carrion Crow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Carrion Crow »

Thanks Dustbunny

It does seem a bit weird that it's name has 'brau' is, which does suggest it's a beer. The description also leans towards it being a beer, rather than a wine, as wine doesn't tend to be described as bitter.

I think I'll may still make an attempt at creating my own version of Meekulbrau, but as a dark beer flavoured with some kind of berry - possibly a black cherry stout or something similar. That should give it the bitterness, but with an underlying hint of sweetness.

Actually, that sounds pretty good...
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

"I never drink ... wine"

On the beer/wine thing, you can say it's like barley wine, it's called a wine but it's a beer (strong dark ale).

We have many beers here in Québec made with blueberries, or cranberries, two things that grows wildly here, could be a model for that brau.
Capture d’écran 2022-06-09 091853.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-06-09 091853.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Bleuets = blueberries in French
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Carrion Crow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Carrion Crow »

Whilst I had considered cranberries as a possible addition, I'd not thought of using blueberries. As your picture does show, blueberry infused dark beer does have a pinkish tinge to it.

Hmmm, I think we might be on to something here...

Thanks Joel!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Carrion Crow wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:58 am Hmmm, I think we might be on to something here...
The biggest question of all though - how will your singing be after drinking it?

Or will that depend more on 'how much you drink' rather than 'what is in it'? :mrgreen:
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Maybe blackberries and some dissolved honey in your beer. Possibly some colouring to stain your lips.
Carrion Crow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Carrion Crow »

My singing will be awesome... or at least I'll think it's awesome. Of course, depending on the strength, I may not remember all the words.

As for adding honey, one of my sons is a vegan, so I try to ensure that all my brews are vegan-friendly. But blackberries are also a possibility. I have found that adding date syrup to a brew does give a hint of plum favour, so I'm considering using both the date syrup and some frozen blueberries, as this should give the subtle fruit flavour and also the colouring.

Once I've completed it, I'll be sure to post the results. :wink:
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Carrion Crow wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:26 am My singing will be awesome... or at least I'll think it's awesome. Of course, depending on the strength, I may not remember all the words.
Of course, sire :mrgreen: