VRGTR Wizkids miniatures Collectors Box Set Pre-order

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

VRGTR Wizkids miniatures Collectors Box Set Pre-order

Post by Catman Jim »

I see that Wizkids is taking pre-orders for a VRGTR Collector's Edition Boxed set of miniatures being released next year:

Here

Wow, that's expensive!
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Joël of the FoS

Re: VRGTR Wizkids miniatures Collectors Box Set Pre-order

Post by Joël of the FoS »

ouch!

I was going to ask if there was a way to get the complete set of RL minis by buying the wholesale box of 8 (or whatever), like they did before.

I'll pass. Fuddle duddle !

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Ouch! ....... but that is for 60 minis......... but still .... Ouch!
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Lord_Pruitt wrote:Ouch! ....... but that is for 60 minis......... but still .... Ouch!

Even for 60 minis that is ridiculous. That would normally be 15 boosters worth, which is only 250ish dollars.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Resonant Curse wrote:
Lord_Pruitt wrote:Ouch! ....... but that is for 60 minis......... but still .... Ouch!

Even for 60 minis that is ridiculous. That would normally be 15 boosters worth, which is only 250ish dollars.
Wellllll.... yes, but what are the chances of getting exactly one of each from 15 boosters. Pretty slim, I imagine. I don't know how the rarities work on these, if there are chase rares or whatnot. But I could imagine opening well more than 45 boosters and still be missing one or more of them, and have a bunch of useless commons no one wants to take off your hands. I really don't want to be searching for Ivan Dilisnya and opening my 12th vampiric illithid.

Note also that this includes the Gravedrinker mini, which is sold separately for $94 on it's own. So it's more like $700 for 59 minis. (still kind of outrageous, but a bit better.)

And there are 7 minis included that aren't available in boosters, because of course there are. :roll:

Why yes, I may be rationalizing to convince myself to buy this, why do you ask? :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

The only one I would be interested in would be the Dune worm of Hazlan and Azalin, they actually made him better than the Denizens of Ravenloft box set http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Maus ... Azalin.jpg
But since I am a fan of metal minies I 'll pass, I started playing D&D because I begun painting miniatures and since my games were always miniature based, I am really picky about quality and I really don't like the quality of these pre-painted plastic miniature WizKids make. I have bought a lot of Wizkids monsters though because they are cheap and I wouldn't probably bother to buy some if they were expensive.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

Is that supposed to be a doppleganger plant with a podling inside? Could have used that 25 years ago
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Does it worth it?
Actually this is a Body Snatcher Plant (the same as a dopelganger plant with a different design)
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Got it for a substantial discount here:
https://www.gamenerdz.com/dungeons-drag ... dition-box
(Probably only helpful to US fans; sorry if that's the case.)
They are out of stock at the moment, but they were before as well, and I set an alert to be notified when they got more in. It's happened at least twice and I managed to catch it on the second restock and order before it went out again.

Is it worth it, even at that lower but still kind of crazy price? Well, I guess it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. For plastic minis, they are very well made, it seems. I do prefer metal usually, though for ghosts, like Godefroy, the translucent plastic is a very cool look. The pics online are representative of how they look. The big ones are quite solid. The small ones aren't shabby either. Similar to old-school Heroscape quality or better. (better paint jobs than Heroscape on most of them, though a few aren't great.)

I think the zombie clot is my favorite. It's disgusting, but as it should be. And the detailing of all the little zombies that form it is incredible. The wereraven is really cool too. It's not like I need a 5th or 6th Strahd and Van Richten (or even my 4th Ezmerelda), but it's very cool to have minis for characters that never had them before, albeit of course in their 5e versions, which limits the utility when using in a pre-5e campaign. But heck, that Ivan Dilisnya is a super-cool mini, even if it's not "Ivan Dilisnya" to me. The Strahd is pretty badass, actually, with a flock of bats behind him, so at least it's different than the prior ones. The Van Richten and Ez are ... fine, I guess but not so different from the prior ones that they are exciting as "exclusives". But hey, VR's holding a book, which is a nice nod at least to his OG character.

The "headless monster" is cute because it has two swappable heads. The Dullahan comes with swappable legs so it can stand or sit mounted on the Nightmare. (This seems to require removing part of the nightmare's back, and I'm having a bit of trouble doing so without damaging it, so I guess I'll leave it for now, but that's a cool feature.) Mother Lorinda is oddly tiny. I thought hags were supposed to be bigger than humans. Looks like a weird spin on Yoda instead of how I'd pictured her. Wish I'd had this Wax Replica when running Alexandre du Cire's museum a couple of years ago. The bagman is a new fave of mine, so it's nice to see him here too. The Gravedrinker is really impressive, though I'd have preferred Ebb or Gwidion at that scale, but that's just the grognard in me talking.

So, I'm pleased with my purchase, as a die-hard collector. I look forward to using as many of them as I can in future games, even if I don't end up using them as their intended characters. For a fan of the 5e setting, I can't see how it could be more perfect, other than being cheaper. For a fan of the pre-5e setting, it's a bunch of cool minis, including some that will make you groan and wish they were their earlier incarnations, but some that will still make you smile.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Catman Jim wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 pm I see that Wizkids is taking pre-orders for a VRGTR Collector's Edition Boxed set of miniatures being released next year:

Here

Wow, that's expensive!
About 800$?!? Seriously?! That's the price to buy a 3d-printer and enough plastic to build them.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:41 am About 800$?!? Seriously?! That's the price to buy a 3d-printer and enough plastic to build them.
Yes, but where would you get the blueprint files? Also, they are painted. I mean, I'm not saying it's a reasonable price. But for a luxury collectable of this magnitude, at today's plastic prices, it's not real surprising. How does it compare to a Warhammer army, for example?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Warhammer miniatures were always overprised in my opinion. Industrial painted miniatures don't mean much to me, I began playing D&D because I liked the miniatures and I got into playing D&D through modelling.

Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 pm Warhammer miniatures were always overprised in my opinion. Industrial painted miniatures don't mean much to me, I began playing D&D because I liked the miniatures and I got into playing D&D through modelling.
Well, we can't all have a model's looks. :)

I mean, of course I'd prefer Ral Partha style metal minis that I could then paint to my liking with my copious amount of free time. But both the the Ravenloft Ral Partha line and my free time died in the late 90's. At this stage of my life, spare money is easier to find than spare time, so I'm ok with it. I recognize fully that it's not for everyone, and that spending that kind of money on it is a luxury.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:07 am
alhoon wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:41 am About 800$?!? Seriously?! That's the price to buy a 3d-printer and enough plastic to build them.
Yes, but where would you get the blueprint files? Also, they are painted. I mean, I'm not saying it's a reasonable price. But for a luxury collectable of this magnitude, at today's plastic prices, it's not real surprising. How does it compare to a Warhammer army, for example?

Warhammer 40k is still mostly at least $10 a piece unless it is maybe Imperial Guard or something in which case it is probably like $8. Games Workshop is ridiculously overpriced. Plus they are increasing their prices again.

Also, getting blueprint models that are 3rd party for any game is usually pretty decently cheap, especially generic fantasy stuff. There are Kickstarter collections or bundles around fairly often too.