Ravenloft in Starfinder

Discussing all things Ravenloft
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Ravenloft in Starfinder

Post by HyperionSol »

This may be a heresy in and of itself, but hear me out.

I know Ryan Naylor converted Darklords into Pathfinder and I am sure there is at least one Darklord article in the Fraternity's archives that came from Golarian somewhere. I might be wrong, but one never knows. My curious pondering is if Ravenloft exists in Pathfinder, then how would it look as it continues into the far future and the age of space opera which is Starfinder.

Would the technology eventually seep into the domains, allowing the cultures there to advance or would the Dark Powers close off the demiplane to keep the purity of the lands they created from being tainted by technology? I have some ideas for the former at least.

The Demiplane of Dread continues to expand as more Darklords are plucked by the Dark Powers, making new lands appropriate to the cultural levels they came from. Inevitably, ideas, technology, and other such things spread. Denizens of the Lands of Mists grow curious about the things in the night sky, planets beyond their own where the mist most certainly is not. Technology advances, Darklords take advantage of it, and try to use it to advance their goals or try to escape from Ravenloft.

The Demiplane expands into what is considered the Galaxy of Dread. Rather than Clusters, they expand from new additions and become their own planets. Mistways are reclassified as natural gateways to these new planets which is why people disappeared into them, or outlanders seemed so confused. They came from different planets, which makes much more sense. Flying on ships means navigating nebula-like debris and gas which functions just like the mist and the Drift does not work, although mistways though it all seem to function in much the same way.

The Core eventually expands and is believed to be a planet, named Teraburi (Fusion of romanian words for land and Mist). It contains classical gothic themes and architecture. Although the people embrace technology, to different extents, they are still frightful and keep to traditions. Their societies aren't as advanced in many lands as they should be, some more than others, but it is a space-faring civilization for the most part. Tepestani traditionailists, Hazlian magic purists, Verbrekan naturalists, and others abhor technology and scorn its use.

Other clusters become their own planets, comprised of domains that share the theme of the planet. The Amber Wastes becomes a world of sand, hardship, but many rewards for treasure hunters and archaeologists with Har'Akir being the primary place to go. Pharazia becomes a theocratic nation, Diambel demanding his word being spread to the heretic nations, but still unable to truly crush all godly voices but his own.

The Verdurous Lands becomes a world of almost untouched beauty. Druids, wood elves, and other people of the mindset flock there to find sanctuary in the places of nature. Despite plans to try and expand cities and settlements, many Domains there resist, such as the Wildlands and any attempt eventually fails. Only lands such as Sri Raji or Kalakeri have true civilization. Saragoss becomes mired with more advanced ships, the junk filling the bottom of the sea and granting the Sahuagin more advanced weapons to attack damaged ships or fleeing refugeees.

The Frozen Reaches are revealed to be a distant, near-frozen world where survival is hard. Only harsh societies exist here. Vorostrokov is still a cold and hard place where people barely have enough to survive. Technology has a hard time warming the people since the cold causes it to break down so quickly. Sanguinia still deals with it's disease issues, especially it's ruler who suffers from his curse despite advancements in medical technology.

The Shadowlands are a garden world that has for the most part refused technology. So much technology is considered sinful by Elena Faith-Hold and only a trickle of it has been allowed on the world. Several religious countries which have been discovered hold a similar mindset, but many are willing to overlook such sins if it means bringing down 'heretic' faiths of foreigners. This is why many of the domains of this world are at war, as they fight to prove which of their religions is the true faith, leaving the world constantly in the conflict in one part or another.

Islands of Terror would be small moon-sized worlds. Only a few other Domains would appear next to these islands and may in fact be rarely visited, or undiscovered depending on their circumstances. Souragne would be considered backwater, expanding into the swamps for their few ports for ships and the meager resources they can offer. Odiaire would be considered a retirement place, a spot where children can grow while Maliglio stews in fury, seeing more and more he could experience as a human but forever denied.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft in Starfinder

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I remember participating in a conversation regarding a Starfinder-based domain a few years ago:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... hp?t=10431
Starscream
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Starscream »

I love Starfinder, and I am actually dming a starfinder campaign. I think Ravenloft has some good trope to shift in space, in a space opera setting
There are even some B-Movie of Dracula in space, so Strahd is quite simple to convert

However it is not still an easy task. The core as a planet is limiting, but also if every domain is a planet
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

Starscream wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:49 pm I love Starfinder, and I am actually dming a starfinder campaign. I think Ravenloft has some good trope to shift in space, in a space opera setting
There are even some B-Movie of Dracula in space, so Strahd is quite simple to convert

However it is not still an easy task. The core as a planet is limiting, but also if every domain is a planet
It's why I tried to make clusters as planets with islands of terror as moons. The Space Travel aspect would make things a little complicated, with mists and the sense of claustrophobia we know is part of Ravenloft.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

One of the Spelljammer adventures had a possible ending of the villain being pulled into Ravenloft and getting a space domain.
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

Resonant Curse wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:18 pm One of the Spelljammer adventures had a possible ending of the villain being pulled into Ravenloft and getting a space domain.
Oh? Do you know the name of the adventure?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I believe the adventure is "Crystal Spheres", and the (potential) darklord is T'Lann. See http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/T%27Lann in Mistipedia and the article "Domains That Came Before" from Quoth the Raven #22.