Question: Info about the Morninglord

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gorthaur
Conspirator
Conspirator

Question: Info about the Morninglord

Post by Gorthaur »

Dear Members of the Fraternity!

Has anyone on the redeemed board some information about the clergy of the Morninglord above the info in the Gaz's? I'm searching for some kind of information like the detailed entries about Ezra in the Quoth of the Raven or older writings from the Kargatane boards.

Thanks in advance
The Abhorred
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

The article "Ivan Szimin" in one of the BoS___ netbooks has some (but not substantial info) on the Morninglord.

If it's about the Morninglord in general, you may also want to look at the "Lathander" entry in the Faiths and Pantheons book. I believe that it shows stuff about the roots of the Morninglord cult. :)
Gorthaur
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gorthaur »

Well, I hadn't thought of the Faith and Pantheon Book. Thanks
The Abhorred
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Gorthaur wrote:Well, I hadn't thought of the Faith and Pantheon Book. Thanks
And, if you don't have the tome, or don't feel like picking it up, I'll be happy to summarise the main points for you, from the information contained within the tome :wink:.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Hrtofdrkns
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Hrtofdrkns »

As far as I can tell, the cult of the morninglord is actually the worship of Jander Sunstar.
Thing's always work out if you just do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences.
-Peter Griffin
Gorthaur
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gorthaur »

The Nightmare Man wrote:And, if you don't have the tome, or don't feel like picking it up, I'll be happy to summarise the main points for you, from the information contained within the tome :wink:.
Well... ...I thought, I had the Tome in my possession, but I had it ONCE. I forgot about selling all those Realms Accessories! If you could please help me, and summarize the main points for me??
I mainly need every day infos about the general clergy, such as what clothes the cergy wears and so on. Thanks!!!
The Abhorred
Gorthaur
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gorthaur »

Hrtofdrkns wrote:As far as I can tell, the cult of the morninglord is actually the worship of Jander Sunstar.
I know, I know, Jander the protector of the common man! Hah, quite a cult about an elven vampire...
The Abhorred
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Gorthaur wrote:
The Nightmare Man wrote:And, if you don't have the tome, or don't feel like picking it up, I'll be happy to summarise the main points for you, from the information contained within the tome :wink:.
Well... ...I thought, I had the Tome in my possession, but I had it ONCE. I forgot about selling all those Realms Accessories! If you could please help me, and summarize the main points for me??
I mainly need every day infos about the general clergy, such as what clothes the cergy wears and so on. Thanks!!!
I'll have my books with me tonight. Consider it in the process of being done... :wink:.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

The Cult of the Morninglord worships Lathander. Its founder may have mistaken Jander *for* Lathander, centuries ago -- he was only a little kid at the time, Mist-napped and traumatized by a grisly attack on his family; cut him some slack! -- but he was a native of FR who knew enough about Lathander to have an accurate notion as to what that deity looks like. It's reasonable to assume he knew enough to be able to pray to Lathander correctly, as well.
Tommy Brownell
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tommy Brownell »

I was thinking that the Morninglord was tied up with Jander somehow. Is it tied in with the priest in Vampire of the Mists? Been AGES since I read that book and I don't know where my copy is these days.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

The Famous Tommy Z wrote:I was thinking that the Morninglord was tied up with Jander somehow. Is it tied in with the priest in Vampire of the Mists? Been AGES since I read that book and I don't know where my copy is these days.
The first priests of the Morninglord mistook Jander for him.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

To be specific, Jander accompanied Strahd when the Count took his vampiress slaves to slaughter a group of Mist-napped travelers from Faerun. Jander took pity on a little boy from the group and spared the child's life. The boy (Marten) mistook the gold-skinned, graceful elf for the god Lathander Morninglord -- a mistake which had apparently occurred once or twice in Faerun, BTW; Jander'd had to deal with such embarassing situations before -- so credited his own survival to divine intervention, and grew up to become Lathander's first RL priest (albeit a rather befuddled one).

That's the origin of the "bloody-mouthed" image of the Morninglord which the Barovian branch of the faith presents: Jander'd already fed on one of the Faerunian men-at-arms, before he noticed and spared the boy. The sect developed its own philosophical rationale for this detail, of course, claiming that in a realm as dark as Barovia et al, even benign Lathander (whose first name seems to have been forgotten over the centuries) can't help but possess a bit of a "dark side". Presumably, if the terrors that beset the Land of Mists could ever be vanquished, the RL Morninglord's mouth would be wiped clean; come to think of it, a nice line for a cleric of the Morninglord might be "Thy lips be cleansed", much as an IRL Christian clergyman might say "Thy Kingdom come"!
Tommy Brownell
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tommy Brownell »

Ah...

That clears that up, then. You guys are swell. One free Powers Check all around. =)