Blaustein!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Blaustein!

Post by cure »

A note on fresh water and tides would be good. A reef and or a rock or two is a good idea.

The docks appear to be completely exposed to the sea, which is not a good thing. Is this a limitation imposed by canon maps? If so, a protecting reef could address the matter.

Alcohol is presumably seized or bought, rather than locally produced, but a note on it would be good too. However, a locally produced version of screech might make sense: rum extracted from barrels by steaming it out of them. Then again, that requires wood which is possibly in short supply.

A historical raid or two by reavers, sahaugin, and/or sea zombies would add some colour. Also it is not inconceivable that some privateer, backed by a mainland government or aristocrat, has attempted to attack Blaustein (and presumably failed miserably).

Blaustein may also be the hideout/place of retirement of some particularly infamous and sought after mainland criminals. Perhaps one or two are worthy of invention/mention. A visit by Alanik Ray (in disguise) for this very reason might make for an interesting footnote.

An agent of the Kargat(ane) and/or the Living Brain is also imaginable.

A sea witch, at least in rumour, might be interesting.

A lost one, a blind man, or a fool with a talent for predicting storms make an interesting addition. And woe to anyone who harms him or her ....
The cure for what ails you
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Howe was, if I recall correctly, the captain engaged in the previous gazetteer on the Nocturnal Sea. I trust this displacement from one sea to the other is accounted for. Alternatively, a new and different captain would add to the stock of readily available NPCs.
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by woodsdarkman »

I know there has been a lot of talk about Blaustein and the Sea of Sorrows gaz but is the Isle of Demise considered a domain in the Sea of Sorrows or is it considered a pocket domain linked to Lamordia. If part of the Sea of Sorrows (which I think it is) the whole Bermuda Triangle angle could be explored, just on a smaller scale, with the Isle of Demise being the most northern part.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

cure wrote:In game, it is somewhat unlikely that a Vassi term for their underworld/afterlife would be common currency on the other side of the Land of Mists. Out of game, it is both an atmospheric question and one of encouraging a measure of detachment from standard prior to 4ed WoC theologico-cosmology. It is of course an optional matter.
It's a matter of taste, and we've seen this debate before with stuff like calling Sri Raji "tropical." Purging Ravenloft of all terms derived from real-world ideas that don't exist in Ravenloft would be a monumental and ultimately futile task. The rabbit hole is very deep, and we'd be losing a lot of good, useful words in the process. We're writing in English (mostly) and the terms and etymology may be completely different in Mordentish or whatever the book is "really" written in.

Besides, we don't know the full theology of the other Ravenloft religions. "hell" is a sufficiently common concept in religions that something close would probably exist outside of the Church of the Lawgiver. Some might even say that a concept of something like hell is a requirement of gothic literature.

Anyway, while I appreciate the attempt to be consistent in tone/vocabulary, my opinion is that hellish is too Ravenlofty of a word to ban from Ravenloft.
In the case of the Nightmare Court, as I perhaps incorrectly recall, the dreamer is dragged while dreaming into their realm.
Their dream-self is pulled into the Nightmare Lands, but their physical body remains in the domain they fell asleep in. If you take that literally, closing the border of the other domain would trap their dream-self in the Nightmare Lands, unable to return to the sleeping body. I don't believe that's the case, though maybe I'm forgetting. To me, It seems much more consistent with the idea of dreaming (and dare I say it, science) that a tendril of the Nightmare Lands is extending into the dreamer's mind. This is probably why TNL is described as a pocket domain in DoD.
In the case of the House of Lament, the House does not take leave of itself.
No, but the house is the darklord and can exist within other domains. It's not an exact analogy, but a similar concept.
Or in other terms, mobile pocket domains are not comparable to a darklord walking out of his or her immobile domain.
I agree they are not the same thing, but they are comparable. It's true that no existing darklord has this exact ability, but it's hardly the only exception to the original concept of "one darklord, tied to one domain, unable to leave his domain or enter another." If you prefer, you could think of a tendril of Blaustein extending out through the Sea of Sorrows, and in a bubble around Bluebeard at whatever port he's in. (Though that would be one weird border closure shape.) We've also had Strahd breaking the rules a few times, going to Mordent with Azalin, and also riding along in the mind of a dominated servant into other domains (in I, Strahd 1 or 2, I forget which).
By the way, are the Teeth of X listed in official sources as being held in the University of Dementlieu? This is a somewhat strange final destination for a religious relic of quite recent vintage. The cracked glass reference in respect to them also seemed somewhat mystifying (or at least I didn't get it).
Van Richten's Arsenal - p52. :)
Finally, I am not sure whether there is a slight incongruity or not between the two references to Ghastria. In the last sentence it is described as the next destination, while early it is referred to in a way as to suggest that it had already been visited (or at least was well known).
I think the implication is that it is well-known. There is a good deal of trade between Ghastria and the coastal domains. Vik may have been there before but not studied it fully or "searched for the traitor Van Rijn" there. Or he may just have heard enough about it to talk about it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

woodsdarkman wrote:I know there has been a lot of talk about Blaustein and the Sea of Sorrows gaz but is the Isle of Demise considered a domain in the Sea of Sorrows or is it considered a pocket domain linked to Lamordia.
We are considering Demise to be an SoS domain, and it will have a chapter in the book. I know this because I wrote it. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

cure wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
cure wrote:It is at least debatable as to whether the words "hell" and "hellish" should have any meaning in the Land of Mists. Perhaps they should be avoided.
There is a "Hell of Slaves" in Lawgiver mythology.
In game, it is somewhat unlikely that a Vassi term for their underworld/afterlife would be common currency on the other side of the Land of Mists. Out of game, it is both an atmospheric question and one of encouraging a measure of detachment from standard prior to 4ed WoC theologico-cosmology. It is of course an optional matter.
I could easily picture a language -- particularly one from a setting like Ravenloft -- having a word for "environment/condition of unendurable anguish", even if there's no theological/cosmological derivation for such a word. You don't have to actually believe in Hell as an afterlife for the concept of a "living hell" to have meaning; using the English words "hell" or "hellish" in in-character dialogue could simply be translation-convention applied to that concept.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thanks for the feedback, cure!
cure wrote:Finally, I am not sure whether there is a slight incongruity or not between the two references to Ghastria. In the last sentence it is described as the next destination, while early it is referred to in a way as to suggest that it had already been visited (or at least was well known).
*lol* That was indeed difficult to pick. I’lll make sure the sources mention this in a clear way.
cure wrote:A note on fresh water and tides would be good. A reef and or a rock or two is a good idea.
Tides will be addressed in the Interludes. Yes, a note on fresh water sources will be added.

You're not the first to mention a « rock or two ». I’ll add these, by popular demand ;)
The docks appear to be completely exposed to the sea, which is not a good thing. Is this a limitation imposed by canon maps? If so, a protecting reef could address the matter.
The SoS isn’t as bad, weatherwise, as the NoS, IIRC. I still have the Interludes to write, so if it isn’t the case, I’ll add what’s needed.
Alcohol is presumably seized or bought, rather than locally produced, but a note on it would be good too. However, a locally produced version of screech might make sense: rum extracted from barrels by steaming it out of them. Then again, that requires wood which is possibly in short supply.
It is indeed forbidden to cut trees! Otherwise, Blaustein would soon be a barren rock.

But a note on alcohol sources is good.
A historical raid or two by reavers, sahaugin, and/or sea zombies would add some colour. Also it is not inconceivable that some privateer, backed by a mainland government or aristocrat, has attempted to attack Blaustein (and presumably failed miserably).
Interesting idea. Added.
Blaustein may also be the hideout/place of retirement of some particularly infamous and sought after mainland criminals. Perhaps one or two are worthy of invention/mention. A visit by Alanik Ray (in disguise) for this very reason might make for an interesting footnote.

An agent of the Kargat(ane) and/or the Living Brain is also imaginable.
Again, interesting ideas!
A sea witch, at least in rumour, might be interesting.

A lost one, a blind man, or a fool with a talent for predicting storms make an interesting addition. And woe to anyone who harms him or her ....
Added!
cure wrote:Howe was, if I recall correctly, the captain engaged in the previous gazetteer on the Nocturnal Sea. I trust this displacement from one sea to the other is accounted for. Alternatively, a new and different captain would add to the stock of readily available NPCs.
Well, Viktor is not of the trusting type, so he’d prefer using the same crew, I think.
Yes, the passage from the NoS to the SoS will be explained (with anecdotes).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Actually thinking about, emptied barrels are likely to be a chief source of burnable wood on the island. So perhaps screech would work. One burns old barrels to steam the rum out of new barrels, then one lets the latter dry, before setting them alight.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

I'm gonna be performing some thread resurrections in the coming weeks, as I have finally found time to read and review the last few years of QTRs.

Here's some initial comments regarding the Blaustein Survey:

I didn't like this article as much as I expected. I wanted something like Tortuga (as portrayed in PotC) but with a spookier twist. Instead, I got a tyranical serial killer with mindwiping powers holding brutal public executions. I think the main probem I had with this domain's write-up is that it is too focused on Bluebeard and his history instead of fleshing out other NPCs and unique features of the land. (I'll give some suggests to counter this problem throughout this review...)

The Blaustein Flag – I like this idea a lot, but I'm not sure it would work as used here. Since it is common knowledge that ships who fly this flag would be safe from pirate depradations why wouldn't everyone have one? And if it isn't common knowledge, how do the residents keep it a secret? Maybe the flag isn't like the one flown at the top of the mast but a smaller banner. Maybe it's attached to the prow, or wrapped around the middle of the mainmast. It's a subtle change but makes a difference in my suspension of disbelief.

Rais – I like the nod to Gilles de Rais in the port name.

Blaustein Gems – I love this! It is creepy and ties into canon very well. It would be interesting to add a bit about a particularly cursed stone and its history (like the Hope Diamond) as it is bought, traded, or stolen across the Core. Or maybe one line about how these gems always seem to eventually make their way back to the island. They could even be the key component in a scheme to resurrect one of Bluebeard's wives... this is such a fantastic idea that it just fires my creativity. Nicely done!

The Wives' Cemetery – This is a good touch, but I don't know if it fits Bluebeard's character. Do the cutthroats that make up the island care if their ruler is sentimental? Does Bluebeard regularly give tours of this site to prove to his would-be-brides that he's not as heartless as his reputation makes him out to be? Also, if you want to keep this feature maybe have the ghosts of Bluebeard's wives hang out here so they can be encountered somewhere else besides the castle.

The Worthy – This is an interesting concept and I like that you tie it in to Bluebeard's obsession with proving one's loyalty. The idea of 10 retired pirates holding council with each other and planning outrageous heists like mafia dons just tickles me. I do have a problem, however, with these manor houses coincidentally sprouting up with no backstory. Even just a throwaway line in the domain's false history about this island being wiped out by a plague or a particularly bloodthirsty pirate raid and then its new inhabitants taking over the use of the old building like hermit crabs moving into a new shell. Plus, that explanation fits in with the nautical theme.

The Public Execution – I feel like this is a little over the top. The whole set up seems out of place here. Maybe it's a little too officious.of a ceremony for a known outlaw haven. Not to mention it pops up out of the blue, with no real backstory to it. Why does Bluebeard care about what people say about him or if they break some local prohibitiion? If he can vent his murderous urges on the populace without any repercussions, why go thru all the pain and effort to snag brides from abroad? Plus, I believe Bluebeard works best when he keeps his cruelty behind closed doors. It allows him to present a more gentlemanly facade in public and gives him a bit of plausable deniability when it comes to the more unseemly goings-on about the island.

The Castle Staff - I'm a firm believer that ever lord needs a right-hand man (or woman) and Conomor fits the bill just fine. Just don't turn him into an Azrael type. Everyone leaving at nightfall is a nice callback to the original entry in Darklords.

Bluebeard's Castle – The description of this place falls flat for me; it seems like just another generic fortress. It should better reflect Bluebeard's inner self. I think he would invest in flashy but low quality accountrements to highlight his noble veneer but that quickly become threadbare and worn – such as shiny silverware that is scratched and dented or large, intricately woven tapestries that have torn edges and ripped seams.

The Hanging Room – This should be the most gruesome reveal on the island - the crown jewel in Bluebeard's cursed life. Remember that shocking banquet scene from Texas Chainsaw Massacre? That's the reaction I'm going for. I would move the descriptions of Bluebeard's wives to here and include a short description of their personalities, appearance (both of their physical remains and their ghostly forms) and what particular actions they perform or habits they follow. I know this was already done to an extant but injecting more individuality would make them more interesting and useful.

Illicit Trades – I would like the section on drugs and human trafficking expanded. Where does this trade originate from? What domains are the usual destinations for slaves? Does opium just pass thru here from more exotic ports? What about hashish? Or even more magical concoctions? A mention about the money laundering and fencing operations that takes place would also be informative (as well as write-ups of the men or women that run them). It could even provide a good explanation for why neighboring domains don't rise up en mass and exterminate this nest of vipers – it serves as a useful spot for decadent nobles to use their ill gotten gains somewhere outside of their Darklord's sphere of influence. And vice versa - Darklords are okay that their most disruptive rivals have a spot to vent their baser desires without disrupting their own (more important) agendas.

Uri Grislev - I absolutely love the story of this martyr for the Lawgiver! It is such a great illustration of the barbarity lurking just below the surface of the populace, and how Bluebeard's cruelty subtly permeates this domain. I would even go one step further and have this guy return as a revenant who haunts the tunnels underneath the island and is seeking allies to help him in his search for revenge.

Flora and Fauna – While I know this island isn't technically in the tropics, I can't help but want the real world exports that the Caribean is known for – such as tobacco and rum - to serve as its “signature” crops. It might not be feasible given the size of the island, because both of these products require extensive labor, but with some fancy handwaving I think it would give some much needed flavor to the domain that I feel is lacking. As for animals, why not have a paragraph that no native animals live here but plenty of transplanted livestock, such as goats and roosters have taken root here. The same could go for the mention of coconuts and parrots. The idea of this island filled with flocks of colorful birds cursing in Low Mordentish just tickles my fancy. Maybe throw a line in there about how invasive species seem to thrive here just like the pirates that make it home.

Women – I would like a little more thought and explanation put in regarding Blausteiner's attitudes toward women and Bluebeard's depradations. Is there some sort of “bridal lottery” competition where pirates bring him their most beautiful captives in an attempt to curry favor with him? Maybe this was just one of many previous schemes Bluebeard has enacted in order to capture a wife but it backfired once and now has been discarded in favor of more subtle maneuvers. There's a story in there somewhere... This guy goes thru women like tissues and has a bodycount that would even give Strahd pause!

Diplomatic Relations – This is a toughy, since it's already been estabilished that this realm is a pariah amongst its more civilized neighbors. Perhaps a listing of the main imports and exports from each coastal domain? A sampling of notable sea battles or infamous pirates that have come and gone? What about adding more Mistways to facilitate the movement of these pirates all over the Demiplane?

The Fleeting Key of Freedom – This is another controversial addition that I don't like. I always considered Bluebeard's “errands” as presented were just a front all along. He was just probably holed up in a safehouse for a couple of days playing solitaire waiting for his little key to turn red. Hell, for all I care he could be doing a party circuit amongst the manor houses of The Worthy.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Additional Thoughts

Surely a red widow or vampiress has attempted to woo such a famous widower – What happened to them? It is mentioned that he sometimes disposes of women that don't suit his fancy before it gets all the way to a marriage proposal. Surely some lucky soul slipped thru his grasp throughout all these years. What became of them? Did they start a Jilted Lovers society whose aim is to bring this noted Lothario down? Or is Bluebeard ever in search of “the one who got away”?

As for enhancing his curse, why not give it a Tatyana type of twist. Once a generation a girl is born with her soul bonded to him. He is immediately aware of her existence and compelled to use all the means at his disposal to find her. He can't focus on anything else as long as she's out there, just beyond his reach. Also, I would like a less misogynistic reasoning behind each wife's curiousity; perhaps it is another mechanic of his curse. The longer his new wife denies her curiousy the stronger the compulsion becomes no matter how true and faithful she intends to be.

I would have also liked more false history. I mentioned earlier there could be a story of a rich island port whose populace disappeared mysteriously. That would explain both the appearance of manor homes and the fortifications around the island that the pirates maintain. This could be a lead-in to my personal favorite scenario - an annual re-enactment of the pirate raid that originally decimated the island, a la The Fog.

The facade of ever changing rulers (and the inspirationg of naming him after different versions of the same chracter) is well done but I prefer “Bluebeard” be a sort of heriditary title. Maybe the Bluebeard fairytale is well known throughout the Core and each new ruler of Blaustein is given the same derisive nickname (all the while being oblivious that the REAL Bluebeard lives among them). Again, this is just a subtle shift in explanations, but helps with the suspension of disbelief.

The handful of mentions about crabs reallly piqued my interest. I think they could serve as this island's unofficial mascot. Parallels could be drawn between them and the pirate populace – ugly creatures with sharp claws, skittering around and attacking in groups. Maybe there's even a phantom herd of these things moving about the island wreaking havoc for some unknown reason.

What if one of The Worthy is not really a pirate but a good aligned character who has infiltrated this hive of villainy in order to reclaim stolen property? Anyone ever heard of “The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh”? Something like a Cardinal Syn character who is rumored to roam the countryside putting fear in the hearts of these hardened criminals.

That's about all the suggestions I can think of to add more personality to the people and places on this island. I know its hard to flesh things out with such scanty source material but it's worth a little extra effort to bring the islanders to life instead of acting as mere automatons of the Darklord. Further, I would suggest upping the population to about 1000 people, with half being transient pirate crews and the other half land-bound individuals like guards, craftsmen, and merchants.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Gotta say I had never heard of Bluebeard before so this was an interesting thread. Thoughts:

Someone mentioned a cave system only accessible at low tide and have a way to control water breathing. Maybe allow waterbreathing, but at high tide the cave ecosystem becomes one of predators, venomous creatures, and other living threats. Maybe there’s an aboleth or underwater beholder or something stays in a pool inside the cave that remains even at low tide.

Slavery? Sure. It even helps square the circle with so,e other ideas thrown. Someone has to mine those blausteins after all, and the place does need some sort of extraction industry to burn through slaves so there is a constant demand for them as well as giving a real base to the local economy.

Buccaneers? No. Vikings? Yes. Here’s some guys who were pirates and raiders, but instead of being chaotic rabblerousers had home lives that were rather ordered because they were governed by quick and final violence. People follow the rules and are polite because their fellow citizens will deal harshly them if they aren’t.

A drug trade on the island? OK, but make it based on some sort of venom or hallucinagen extracted from sea creatures.

No reason the domain can’t have some outlying minor islands and reefs or underwater rocks or sandbars. Maybe içou have a high chance of sinking or running aground if you don’t take on a local pilot before trying to come into port. Very easy explanation why some other domain doesn’t send its ships and soldiers to shut the place down.

Foreign men and women? Sure the place is crawling with them. It is a place of second chances. No one asks a foreign man his past if he takes an oath of loyalty. Similarly, women without much hope elsewhere, criminals, women whose family can’t afford a dowry, and so on come to place without many women seeking marriage. This is how Bluebeard finds foreign brides without ever leaving his domain.

Religions? It is a crossroads sort of place. Every religion is there, but those related to the sea predominate even if in secret.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Check Quoth the Raven #19 it has the following article "Blaustein, A Preview of the Sea of Sorrows Report" on Bluebeard and his island

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library.html
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Sorry for being late, but I just had time to rework Blaustein in the last days. Thanks for these last comments. I’m not adding all your ideas, but most were helpful to strenghten the text.

FYI, added many more NPCs (some creepy residents, famous pirates, all the Worthy current list), and more desriptions here and there for the final version.
Jeremy16 wrote: The Blaustein Flag – I like this idea a lot, but I'm not sure it would work as used here. Since it is common knowledge that ships who fly this flag would be safe from pirate depradations why wouldn't everyone have one? And if it isn't common knowledge, how do the residents keep it a secret?
Ah, I see, it's not as black and white as I first wrote. Added more comments to it. Some ships can board the docks without the flag, but it’s much more complicated : you get trusted by the guard – you pass after a long discussion, you do not – you are quickly boarded.

Changed the flag to a red crab, as per your comment on crabs being the mascot, good idea.
blaustein flag.jpg
blaustein flag.jpg (74.35 KiB) Viewed 786 times
The Public Execution – I feel like this is a little over the top.
Agreed, that was the idea :) and
It allows him to present a more gentlemanly facade in public and gives him a bit of plausable deniability when it comes to the more unseemly goings-on about the island.
Added a comment that there are no executions when entertaining wife-to-be, or when notable visitors are prenent on the island. Before their arrival, he also has the public square cleaned of the hanged corpses.
Why does Bluebeard care about what people say about him or if they break some local prohibitiion?
It’s not the reason the woman was executed, she was choosen at random (/ or for a reason only known to him) and that’s the reason He wanted his inhabitants to think.
Everyone leaving at nightfall is a nice callback to the original entry in Darklords.
I reread Darklords as well as the novel Sight and Sound recently, and it remembered me that I did follow it very closely.
Bluebeard's Castle – The description of this place falls flat for me; it seems like just another generic fortress. It should better reflect Bluebeard's inner self. I think he would invest in flashy but low quality accountrements to highlight his noble veneer but that quickly become threadbare and worn – such as shiny silverware that is scratched and dented or large, intricately woven tapestries that have torn edges and ripped seams.
Good idea, added
The Hanging Room – This should be the most gruesome reveal on the island - the crown jewel in Bluebeard's cursed life.
Reworked the description to make it even more creepy, and added a Sinkhole of Evil + Horror Check DC.
The Fleeting Key of Freedom – This is another controversial addition that I don't like. I always considered Bluebeard's “errands” as presented were just a front all along. He was just probably holed up in a safehouse for a couple of days playing solitaire waiting for his little key to turn red. Hell, for all I care he could be doing a party circuit amongst the manor houses of The Worthy.
I gave the DM a choice in the article, FKtF is strongly suggested, but you are not obligated to use it. If not, there are suggestion as to BB’s wherebouts and occupation while he tests his new wife.

Still I really like this idea, I think it’s unique and very limited anyway.
As for enhancing his curse, why not give it a Tatyana type of twist. Once a generation a girl is born with her soul bonded to him. He is immediately aware of her existence and compelled to use all the means at his disposal to find her.
Meh. Déjà vu :)
The facade of ever changing rulers (and the inspirationg of naming him after different versions of the same chracter) is well done but I prefer “Bluebeard” be a sort of heriditary title.
Not sure, I prefer if the reveal is late for the players. I added :

The reader will notice I avoid to call the Lord Bluebeard, as a domain design choice, as I sense calling him Bluebeard from the start would spoil too much the feel of the island with players that do not know what is happening here. I think it is better if they meet Lord Morrell, and then later, when it is too late, learn that his real name is the infamous Bluebeard, with his famous modus operandi with would-be wives.
The handful of mentions about crabs reallly piqued my interest. I think they could serve as this island's unofficial mascot. Parallels could be drawn between them and the pirate populace – ugly creatures with sharp claws, skittering around and attacking in groups. Maybe there's even a phantom herd of these things moving about the island wreaking havoc for some unknown reason.
Good idea, added. Changed the flag to a red crab.
Pizza wrote:A drug trade on the island? OK, but make it based on some sort of venom or hallucinagen extracted from sea creatures.
Added, see Sea of Sorrows – red algae.
No reason the domain can’t have some outlying minor islands and reefs or underwater rocks or sandbars.
Added, as per popular demand
Foreign men and women? Sure the place is crawling with them. It is a place of second chances. No one asks a foreign man his past if he takes an oath of loyalty. Similarly, women without much hope elsewhere, criminals, women whose family can’t afford a dowry, and so on come to place without many women seeking marriage.
Added, and a place where criminals of the Core seek refuges or hide.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)