Dragonlance 3.5 classes are suited to Ravenloft.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dragonlance 3.5 classes are suited to Ravenloft.

Post by tomokaicho »

I mentioned this in another thread, but some of the Dragonlance 3.5 classes are a very good fit for Ravenloft.

These classes in particular. The Master. The Dragonlance Noble. The Nightstalker.

The Master can serve the role of craftsman, performer, professional or sage like the Expert NPC class cannot. What is interesting about this is that most performers in Ravenloft are shoehorned into the Bard class, like Harkon Lukas, when the Master (Performer) class, which does not cast spells, is clearly a better fit for him. You can replace NPC experts with this class across the board if they have an elite stat array and other PC class levels. Another review of this class is here.

The Noble isn't a great class, but it arguably does what the Aristocrat should do but does not. Nobles can call in favours and use their connections. Just take any Ravenloft Aristocrats and replace with this class.

The Nightstalker gets a ghostly companion and is like a spiritual medium. A great class for a character sensitive to ethereal resonance.

Can I get some thoughts?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dragonlance 3.5 classes are suited to Ravenloft.

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I have used the Noble class in my games before, but don't know the others. Noble is, indeed, the Aristocrat as upgraded to a PC class, and I would cautiously recommend it.

I don't see Bard as a poor fit for Harkon. He's from Faerûn originally, where there are plenty of Bards, and the magic of a Bard meshes well with his gifts as a Wolfwere and his rather grandiose presentation.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Rock wrote:I have used the Noble class in my games before, but don't know the others. Noble is, indeed, the Aristocrat as upgraded to a PC class, and I would cautiously recommend it.
Rock wrote:Yeah. I don't endorse the Noble without reservation. I wouldn't recommend it to a player in my games, for example. But in terms of all those NPCs with Aristocrat levels that don't even make credible aristocrats, then why not?
Rock wrote:I don't see Bard as a poor fit for Harkon. He's from Faerûn originally, where there are plenty of Bards, and the magic of a Bard meshes well with his gifts as a Wolfwere and his rather grandiose presentation.
I see what you are saying. In Heart of Midnight you can see Harkon Lukas use some magic, which I assumed was part of his Darklord abilities, but may have actually been a spell (I recall something from Conferences where Victor improves on one of Lukas' spells). Lukas aside, there are plenty of performers that would be better suited as a master, especially if the character fluff does not include them casting spells. I have forgotten what Lukas did in Death of a Darklord. It took a lot of effort for me to forget so I am not going to try and bring back the trauma.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

tomokaicho wrote:I see what you are saying. In Heart of Midnight you can see Harkon Lukas use some magic, which I assumed was part of his Darklord abilities, but may have actually been a spell (I recall something from Conferences where Victor improves on one of Lukas' spells). Lukas aside, there are plenty of performers that would be better suited as a master, especially if the character fluff does not include them casting spells. I have forgotten what Lukas did in Death of a Darklord. It took a lot of effort for me to forget so I am not going to try and bring back the trauma.
The magic powers of the Bard make it difficult to excuse for use in Lamordian NPC musicians. That is why I listed levels in Expert in the little blurb about Georg Talbann on page 435 of QtR 28. Master might be a good alternative to Bard for nonmagical musicians.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Wolfglide wrote:The magic powers of the Bard make it difficult to excuse for use in Lamordian NPC musicians. That is why I listed levels in Expert in the little blurb about Georg Talbann on page 435 of QtR 28. Master might be a good alternative to Bard for nonmagical musicians.
Georg Talbann is definitely a Master.
The professional expert forms the bulk of Krynn's population, but it is the master who truly embodies the pursuit of excellence in a craft, trade, or a particular field of knowledge. Masters are exceptional individuals whose works are often destined to leave their mark on the world and whose skills become renowned in history. Theros Ironfeld, Sebastius of the Players of Gilean, Otik Sandath, and Bertrem the Aesthetic are all examples of Krynn's master craftsmen, performers, professionals, and sages.
OK, so ignore the stuff about Krynn. If you have an NPC with the elite stat array, use Master instead Expert.