Ideas for a Children of the Night: Witches

Discussing all things Ravenloft
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ideas for a Children of the Night: Witches

Post by KingCorn »

Probably won't actually turn into anything, but heck with it, why not dream?
I figure any CotN: Witches would come with a disclaimer about how historical claims of witchcraft were often driven by misogynist attitudes at the time, as well as misunderstandings of local folklore and customs.
As for the witches themselves:
-A Boogeyman based on the Witch from Hansel and Gretel, complete with deadly house of candy and traps.
-A Barovian witch who made a deal with Strahd in her younger years after being seduced by him. Has been harassing worshippers of the Morning Lord who start to make trouble.
-A half-goat broken one born from a family that once called upon Markov for help many years ago, giving them fertility but cursing them to sometimes birth deformed half-animal monsters. The child grew up in the wild, and from its abuses went mad. While certainly dangerous, it is a pitiful creature.
-A Tepesti Inquisitor/con-man based on the famous witchfinder general Matthew Hopkins.
-Stryx and her continued work on charging the Rift Spanner, or possibly trolling Azalin cause she's managed to finally charge the thing and wants to rub it in his face just before she escapes.
-A Brujah
-Black Avlyhn from Van Richten's Guide to Dopplegangers
-Kadra, Kedra, and Kentra from Adam's Wrath.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ideas for a Children of the Night: Witches

Post by onmyoji »

According to VRGtR, there are witches in the Kartakan forests now. Adding a little spice to Kartakass never hurt.

— onmyoji
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

A belated update on some more ideas I've had:
  • Styrix combating the Kargat while trying to fuel/move the rift spanner.
  • A Brujah preparing herself for her foreseen demise, with deadly consequences
  • The headmistress of a Dementliue Finishing School with ties to the occult (bit of a ripoff of Suspiria)
  • A goat-child broken-one with great sorcerous power. Ababdoned, it has become the center of dangerous cult
  • The Ring of Hecate: A sentient ring which drives it wearer to pursue occult knowledge at the price of mind and soul
  • The Scholomance: A mythic school of black magic in the Balinoks, its students are said to have included the Devil Strahd. In reality, a circle of wizards enthralled to Inajara, who used to run the place
  • A tepesti inquisitor, long gone rogue and insane. Attacking, trying, and killing random people for magic use
  • A young initiate to the Fraternity of Shadows. His testing the limits of the Plane of Shadows has unleashed something foul
  • A Rasputin-like figure with the "miraculous" power to cure the sick engratiates himself into a noble household. His cluelessness, debauchery, and power now ruins everyone
  • The Serpent's Daughter: A sea-hag haunting the rivers of Invidia, her attacks upon a riverboat turn a night of gambling into a night of horror
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, the one from H&G should be a hag IMO.

As for a woman seduced by Strahd... nope. Necrophilia is a kind of no-no for me and Strahd while he makes the occasional vampire spawn to serve his purposes would hardly train or tolerate a witch that serves no purpose.

Meanwhile... in my games witches are 5e warlocks, heavy on invocations.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

I'm just wondering where you get necrophilia from anything he posted
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Gautsu wrote:I'm just wondering where you get necrophilia from anything he posted
Was musing/amusing myself.

If undead were once dead, but not no more, then a more appropriate term would in my mind be "xenophilia". Or "monstrophilia". Or some such thing.

If by "seduced" you mean to frame carnal knowledge...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3CE04LGiA
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
lowfyr
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by lowfyr »

alhoon wrote:Well, the one from H&G should be a hag IMO.

As for a woman seduced by Strahd... nope. Necrophilia is a kind of no-no for me and Strahd while he makes the occasional vampire spawn to serve his purposes would hardly train or tolerate a witch that serves no purpose.

Meanwhile... in my games witches are 5e warlocks, heavy on invocations.
He even had a one-night stand in a short story written by P.N. Elrod. He was a little surprised after she started flirting with him. No seducing just two consenting adults.
And how sleeping with a vampire is necrophilia is a debate that is very old.