d20 Future: Enhancement Group Project 'The Consortium'

Discussing all roleplaying games
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
Coan wrote:As I intend on having quite a few threads on discussion is anyone adverse to shifting these conversations to thimblefulofthief.com?
I have no qualms with you having most of these threads based over at the Thimble. However, I cannot promise that I'll be as attentive over there as I am around here.

Okay, I'm not that attentive around here... Or am I? :shock:
I'll make the shift.

See you over there :wink:.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Any progress so far with the project?

All the Thimble site seems to have is a short discussion on mechanics.

Is there any thought on the background of the world, so far? Is this supposed to be a gothic style world, with the decay of civilization eminent? Or is this like a post-apocolyptic world, like Gamma World?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I'm still reading the rule book at the moment so I can see what we can do with it. However I am brainstorming some ideas and trying to advance human taste and fashion by 170 something years.

One of the larger and more realistic (at least commercially) ideas I've had is gene splicing pigs so they grow human organs for buyers and then using them when needed. Kind of like an insurance and replacement plan for organs. Later in the week I shall post some things that need discussion as we need to decide what major changes in the future will influence the world (i.e. China becoming the dominant world economy in 30 years or so).
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

That sounds neat.

On the idea of pig-organbanks, I once had a pretty disturbing dream where someone went into the far future and found a forest where human limbs grew like branches - the end result of implanting genes into other life forms. Of course, that's a little too far future.

I like the gene splicing concept a lot. Maybe we can borrow an idea from that cartoon Batman Beyond - the idea of splicing becoming a fashion trend.
Evolving from secret military experiments, implanting animal genes begins in the late 50's (2050's) as means of medical treatment. Degenerating muscle, bone and nervous tissue is revitalized with the genes taken from specific animals - even mental disorders are treatable by inducing the growth of animal glands. Very quickly the science leaks out into public consumption - athletes begin taking gene therapy to increase their performance - college students take genes to increase their mental abilties - people in midlife take genes to revitalize themselves - even pregnant women take genes to speed up the birth process.

Patients exhibit some disturbing characteristics - people treated for depression with bull testosterone become aggressive, while someone treated for MS with wolf genes howls and barks. At the time, no one was even aware of the possibility of a patient passing on the artificial traits to their offspring.

While some scientists feel the benifits more than outweigh the costs, more conservative minds are horrfied by the prospect. The conservative right campaigns for strick laws forbidding genetic manipulation. Secret labs in lawless countries continued to practice splicing. To counter common place genetic screening technology is developed to hide the spliced genes - allowing the patients to enjoy the benifits without being exposed.

In the 70's the first second generation of splicers begin to appear - children affected by the manipulated genes of their parents. While the 1st generation splicers were indistinquishable in appearance, 2nd generation mutants bear unmistakable markings of their enhanced genetic herritage. Terrified by the prospect of intermingling, conservative governments passed laws resticting the movement of Splicers. Many of these splicer babies are abandoned by their parents and left in the care of the state.

By the 90's there is an unmistakable culture of splicers living as second class citizens in society. Rejected by the humans that made them, these hybrid mutants are caugth between the desire for acceptance and the burnign need for revenge. These mutant rebels are simultaneiously figthing to save and to destroy the world that rejects them.
Evil Reigns!!!!