Advice Needed - Selling Ravenloft Items

Discussing all things Ravenloft
direheroics
Conspirator
Conspirator

Advice Needed - Selling Ravenloft Items

Post by direheroics »

Long story very short: for a number of reasons, I am heavily considering selling my Ravenloft/MOTRD collection.

Part of the calculation is how to do so. Many of the items have exorbitant Ebay prices (gold maps, Tarokka decks, etc.) and I'm concerned selling it as one big lot would price it completely out of most folks' range (not to mention the cost of shipping). That said, I also don't want to have the headache of trying to list and ship every individual piece.

I'm also concerned that while I see auctions, I never see the materials actually sold, so I'm not even sure how to go about pricing them other than open auctions.

If I can't sell it easily, it may not make sense to liquidate it. But I'm beginning to think it belongs bringing joy to someone rather than sitting on shelves in my house.

Any advice on the best way of moving an extensive collection?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Advice Needed - Selling Ravenloft Items

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Although I am not an expert on ebay (sold all my GIJoes with a friends account all separately) I would advise you to try to sell it as a complete bunch for starters in a price that is satisfying to you (don't kill them). Now that 5e has in a way reincarnated Ravenloft (not resurrected cause it is a complete reboot) there could be someone out there with a whole lot of money that's ready to burn (Viva Las Vegas...) that wants to own everything you got cause maybe they weren't even born when some of the products were published. My advice is to put everything out there with a fixed price for a few months and if no one is interested then begin separating everything. If you happen to have to do that I would advice you to sell the limited edition and very old Ravenloft products (like original I6 Ravenloft or Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill, if you happen to own them) separately and then the rest maybe in eras (like complete GC series) or complete Requiem series etc. Some products like Light in the Belfry are sold for a lot so you should keep that in mind.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

You can search for "completed" and/ or "sold" items on eBay to get an idea of what the auction went for. For some reason, eBay makes it hard to find, but the buttons are buried over on the left under "more filters" or somesuch.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Start it off as a "complete" set and if it doesn't sell break it into smaller and smaller chunks.
Like a 3e collection and a 2e collection. Or an adventures lot and an accessories lot.
direheroics
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by direheroics »

Thanks a million everyone.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If the reason is that you want these to bring joy to someone else, "thematically complete" bundles would make sense as Jester suggested
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!