Why is Victor Mordenhiem a woman now?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: Why is Victor Mordenhiem a woman now?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Continue the discussion, but know that the first post was SPAM oriented and copied from another board : https://www.reddit.com/r/ravenloft/comm ... woman_now/

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Let's talk about a different theme of modern horror:

A society where spambots have become so advanced that they can start 4-page long discussions in forums small enough for everyone to know everyone.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

alhoon wrote:
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Just as a note, I’m sure ages ago Ryan Naylor said if he could have he would have made Alanik gay in VRA.

And when John Mangrum was doing his Teeny Tales of Terror (which someone really should collate, or if you read John, can you donate a copy to the Frat?) when I contributed my entry for the Hebi-no-ana, I explicitly made them gay, so Alanik and Arthur being a couple isn’t a new idea for the book.
I think he said they did made them a couple for the Gazetteers and that Athaus turned them back by deleting the "my sweet, sweet, Arthur" reference somewhere.
As a note, Alanik Ray will outlive Arthur by a long time.
Apologies for the slow reply.

I'm not sure this is correct (although I'm happy to be corrected - Past Ryan runs his mouth off in all sorts of ways).

If it's the thing I remember saying, it's from the Illustrated History of the Core:
Arthur Sedgwick may have unreciprocated love for Alanik Ray
My memory of my thought process is that Ray likes Sedgwick, but is oblivious to any deeper feelings. I actually don't remember Arthaus doing much editing at all of our work, although for the Kargatane-written stuff, John Mangrum did some.

I'd guess the relationship is riffing off the long pop-culture interpretation of Holmes and Watson being gay lovers. As others have said, I think it's a problem that any close relationship between men is read sexually, which is don't think is good for our society in any broad fashion. The Sam and Frodo example is another one that really frustrates me.

Unrelatedly: perhaps Our Hero, S, from the Gazetteers should be Irene Adler?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Ryan Naylor wrote:Unrelatedly: perhaps Our Hero, S, from the Gazetteers should be Irene Adler?
Ohhh... Azalin's female clone experiment is the master manipulator that Alanik is intrigued by... nice thought...
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe