Dragonborn Tiefling and monstrous humanoids in Ravenloft as.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dragonborn Tiefling and monstrous humanoids in Ravenloft

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

In prior versions of Ravenloft, absolutely, they'd be run out of town with pitchforks and torches most of the time.

As of 3rd edition, if they could pass themselves off as a Caliban, maybe they'd have a chance in some of the more enlightened areas.

I didn't catch much xenophobia in the 5e book, quite the opposite in fact. There are fanged orcs and an eladrin with gigantic ears and hexbloods with purple skin and antlers and no mention of distrust based on looks, no matter how bizarre. I expect the goal is to allow everything from the PHB without penalizing players for their choices. A different philosophy than what a lot of Ravenloft DMs have used in the past, but more along the modern approach.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

It depends on the Domain IMO. Look at the cultural level for a kind of guide. High culture levels like Renaissance in Dementlieu or Richmulot, likely they would be noticed, but the people may consider themselves enlighten enough to not make a deal out of it. It may not stop people from considering themselves better, especially if they follow the Divinity of Mankind philosophy.

More medieval domains will likely be distrustful of such strange outsiders. Barovia for example would just keep back unless they can get something from them. Tepest on the other hand certainly would go for the pitchfork and torch approach. Saragoss would likely be the worst for such a thing, as whole groups of one race fight to try and escape there, distrusting anyone else. Places like Sithcus and Darkon, which are more Dark Fantasy, would be places where no one would care since so many fantasy races are found there.

Anything more primitive may be wary, but otherwise not care since survival and safety are considered much more important than little things like the appearances of other people. Places like Verbrek, the Wildlands, and other such places would be among such domains.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

SituFangs wrote:How would they be treated? Attacked on site in some places? People avoiding them and not talking to them at all even unless necessary? Ravenloft is still a very xenophobic place I'm seeing in 5th ed. Some places are bit more open minded than others but I feel very inhuman looking PCs should probably get the brunt of the mistrust unless a Domain is specifically different in that regard?
Not sure about 5E Ravenloft, but in all other editions of Ravenloft these creatures will be judged entirely by their appearance and will not be given the benefit of the doubt.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Depends on the places thought.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

tomokaicho wrote:
SituFangs wrote:How would they be treated? Attacked on site in some places? People avoiding them and not talking to them at all even unless necessary? Ravenloft is still a very xenophobic place I'm seeing in 5th ed. Some places are bit more open minded than others but I feel very inhuman looking PCs should probably get the brunt of the mistrust unless a Domain is specifically different in that regard?
Not sure about 5E Ravenloft, but in all other editions of Ravenloft these creatures will be judged entirely by their appearance and will not be given the benefit of the doubt.
Not necessarily in Darkon.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!