Monster Advice

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Monster Advice

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

So, for the 28th Quoth The Raven, I want to stat up a few of the monsters I've featured in my various installments of "The Register Of Monsters."
Having said that, does anyone have advice about what sort of basic features, abilities or powers "spirits" would have? ("Spirit" being a more or less intangible entity made of ectoplasm or psychic energy in addition to ghosts or bodiless demons like loumara)
Also, I'm trying to think of what to do as a template for my virusbeasts. I do know that the typical virusbeast can not interact with the world in a direct or meaningful way without a host, or infecting a host, and that those virusbeasts who can interact directly with the world need to manifest to do so, a situation that requires them to draw a large amount of energy from their host(s).
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Monster Advice

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Baron Von Stanton wrote:So, for the 28th Quoth The Raven, I want to stat up a few of the monsters I've featured in my various installments of "The Register Of Monsters."
Having said that, does anyone have advice about what sort of basic features, abilities or powers "spirits" would have? ("Spirit" being a more or less intangible entity made of ectoplasm or psychic energy in addition to ghosts or bodiless demons like loumara)
Also, I'm trying to think of what to do as a template for my virusbeasts. I do know that the typical virusbeast can not interact with the world in a direct or meaningful way without a host, or infecting a host, and that those virusbeasts who can interact directly with the world need to manifest to do so, a situation that requires them to draw a large amount of energy from their host(s).
For the virus beast check Virus, Phagian in Ravenloft Monstrous Compedium Vol III or the 3e version of the viruses in Quoth the Raven Issue 21 Demise: A Sea of Sorrows Gazetteer Preview.

For spirit powers and weaknesses check 2e Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts (or Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium, Vol Two) as well as in 3e Ravenloft Campaign Setting Rulebook.

Spirits and ghosts in Van Richten's Guide to Ghost are separated into magnitudes, what you refer as ectoplasm/psychic energy spirits would be 1st or even 2nd magnitude ghosts while 3rd, 4th and 5th magnitude ghosts are more powerful spirit entities the ones you would probably describe as ghosts.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Speaking of QTR, anyone know when the announcement comes out? Last year's seems to have been at the end of June. Now that I'm no longer lurking, I thought I might attempt a contribution this year.

— onmyoji
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

onmyoji wrote:Speaking of QTR, anyone know when the announcement comes out? Last year's seems to have been at the end of June. Now that I'm no longer lurking, I thought I might attempt a contribution this year.

— onmyoji
The last two QtR announcements came out in June (and supposedly some came out as early as May), but those for #24 and #25 came out in July. Generally, suggestions for the theme arise first, though that didn't happen last time.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Awesome. Thanks!

— onmyoji
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

You might also look at the Ghostwalk campaign book for 3rd edition.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Wolfglide wrote:
onmyoji wrote:Speaking of QTR, anyone know when the announcement comes out? Last year's seems to have been at the end of June. Now that I'm no longer lurking, I thought I might attempt a contribution this year.

— onmyoji
The last two QtR announcements came out in June (and supposedly some came out as early as May), but those for #24 and #25 came out in July. Generally, suggestions for the theme arise first, though that didn't happen last time.
Err.. yes... June.... err... :|

July is the new June. Expect an announcement soonish. :diamabel:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Err.. yes... June.... err... :|

July is the new June. Expect an announcement soonish. :diamabel:
No problem whatsoever. Thank you! I do have questions that don't seem to be answered in the general postings for the last QtR. I'll ask once the announcement lands.

— onmyoji