Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

D&D Piazza: TSR Book Department Memo To Jim Ward

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hey,

found this on Facebook, is pretty rad:

https://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtop ... =6&t=27292

More pictures where this one is from, didn't want to leech their content.

The image link is to Ebay, though, so some of you more avid collectors might perhaps want to take a look, as well. :lucas:

- R
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: D&D Piazza: TSR Book Department Memo To Jim Ward

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Quite a cool peek behind the scenes. The auction went for over $150. Too rich for my blood, sadly...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Quite a cool peek behind the scenes. The auction went for over $150. Too rich for my blood, sadly...
Photocopy?... :mrgreen:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mephisto wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Quite a cool peek behind the scenes. The auction went for over $150. Too rich for my blood, sadly...
With the memo readable online, the point of owning it would be the "original-ness". A photocopy is just clutter.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
With the memo readable online, the point of owning it would be the "original-ness". A photocopy is just clutter.
Ι meant photocopy as the Mona Lisas in Dr.Who City of Death

Dr.Who City of Death Plot
While in Paris, the Doctor and Romana sense the effects of time distortion. They observe the Countess Scarlioni using an alien device to scan the security systems housing Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa at the Louvre. The pair meet Inspector Duggan, who suspects the Countess to be involved in an ongoing art theft scheme with her husband, Count Scarlioni. Duggan joins the Doctor and Romana in investigating the Scarlioni mansion. There, they find equipment used by Dr. Kerensky to experiment in time, the source of the time distortions, as well as six exact copies of the Mona Lisa. The Doctor instructs Romana and Duggan to continue investigating here while he returns to the TARDIS to visit Leonardo, a good friend of his. After the Doctor leaves, the Count returns after successfully stealing the Mona Lisa, and captures Romana and Duggan. Learning that Romana is familiar with time, he kills Dr. Kerensky and forces Romana to continue the tests.

In the past, the Doctor arrives at Leonardo's home but is captured by Captain Tancredi, who appears identical to Count Scarlioni. Tancredi reveals he is really Scaroth, a member of the Jagaroth race. They had arrived on Earth 400 million years ago, but due to an explosion in their craft, all of the others died and his own body was fragmented across time. Collectively, the fragments of Scaroth have manipulated humanity so that by the 20th century, they will have technology that will enable him to go back in time to stop the explosion. Tancredi is currently employing Leonardo to create copies of the Mona Lisa in order to finance Scarlioni's work. After Tancredi leaves, the Doctor knocks out his captor, marks the blank canvases with a felt-tip pen with the phrase, "This is a fake", and leaves a message to Leonardo to paint over his writing before returning to the present.

The Doctor learns Scaroth threatens to destroy Paris if Romana does not continue the work. He tries to gain the Countess' help by showing the Count's true form, but he kills her. Romana completes the adjustments, and Scaroth uses it to travel to the past. The Doctor quickly ushers Romana and Duggan to the TARDIS, fearing that the ship's explosion was the spark that started the development of life on Earth, and if Scaroth should prevent it, humanity would not come about. They arrive in time for Duggan to knock Scaroth out before he can reach the ship. Scaroth returns to present Earth, where he is discovered in his alien form by his bodyguard Hermann, and they get into a fight which damages the equipment and sets the mansion on fire. Hermann escapes, but Scaroth burns to death. By the time the Doctor, Romana and Duggan arrive, the original Mona Lisa and 5 of the 6 copies have been burned in the fire, but the last copy remains safe. Duggan argues that they've lost an invaluable piece of art, but the Doctor assures him that the copy, still done by Leonardo's hand, will go unnoticed, and that art is worthless if its monetary value is all that matters. The Doctor and Romana say goodbye to Duggan at the Eiffel Tower.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

That’s really cool.

I own the original artwork for Sheneya from Children of the Night: Werebeasts which still as the art notes from WotC on the back.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Interesting bit of history.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!