VRGtR: Call-backs and other Continuity Nods

Discussing all things Ravenloft
yaoihuntressearth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: VRGtR: Call-backs and other Continuity Nods

Post by yaoihuntressearth »

There's also a mention of Emil Bollenbrach (p.142) and a call back to the adventure where he makes a doubleganger golem.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

I've been diving pretty heavy into the Mistipedia pages to help suss out some of these connections ... It's been pretty neat to discover/refresh my memory on this stuff.

Most of the call-backs are fairly easy to spot (particularly if the name has not changed), but I guess it might be a bit of confirmation bias. That is, I'm finding the ones that are easy, and so I think that all the ones to find are easy.

Here is one that had a subtle name change that folks might miss.

Adventures in Darkon, option #1, the Heart of the Abyss is a renamed Key to the Abyss. The plot points remain unchanged [a relic guarded by the Order of the Guardians that is being sought by the Whistling Fiend].
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Speaking of Mistipedia, we probably need to get the VRGtR page up soon, so we can put these details in its article...
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

^^ Looking forward to it. I don’t know the first thing about what goes on ‘under the hood’ when it comes to editing pages, but I’m sure there are enough FoS guys floating around to make the chore seem less onerous.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Speaking of Mistipedia, we probably need to get the VRGtR page up soon, so we can put these details in its article...
It's there:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Van ... _Ravenloft
(thanks, LordLucide!)

Everyone feel free to add onto it.

At some point, I'd like to make "5th Edition Canon" and "pre-5th Edition Canon" templates, or something like that. But don't know when I'll have time.
(Old Canon/New Canon? Doesn't leave room for future potential reboots. "VRGtR Canon" doesn't include Curse of Strahd, which it should. Open to suggestions as long as they aren't disparaging like "Real Ravenloft Canon" or somesuch)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

SkiBird wrote:^^ Looking forward to it. I don’t know the first thing about what goes on ‘under the hood’ when it comes to editing pages, but I’m sure there are enough FoS guys floating around to make the chore seem less onerous.
If you can post here, you can edit Mistipedia. (Well, you need to create a separate account on the wiki, but what I mean is, the process of actually editing pages is very similar to posting on the forum. It's got some different formatting commands which might take some getting used to, but it's not hard. (see http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Help:Contents) Give it a try!)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

- You can find Waterford from John Mangrum's adventure The Man Who Lost His Mind on the map of Mordent. (Seriously, there are Book of S_ references!)
- The Whistling Fiend illustration is carrying the Key to the Abyss heart.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".