Ravenloft is back in 5e?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ravenloft is back in 5e?

Post by onmyoji »

I guess what I'm wondering is that if it's so important to provide a "lengthy" section on discussing player comfort, why don't they release it as a sort of appendix to the PHB? Just because Ravenloft might be the most prone setting for "adult" themes doesn't mean it applies only to that setting. If this "lengthy" discussion is considered necessary by WotC for whatever the reason, then it should appear in the core rulebooks.

— onmyoji
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

To be fair, dropping the mod while you're in the mix is a ***** move. In cases like that, where the mod is directly involved, it's more respectful for all if another mod mediates. Otherwise it's a reacharound mic mute, or, can be taken as such.

Getting back to VRGtR, I'm still scratching my head about the whole paying more, a lot more, for less pages. What's up with that?

Content aside of course. (I've already spoken).
Last edited by Gonzoron of the FoS on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for language. "grandma rule"
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Mephisto wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I am watching Todd Kenreck's video fro the upcoming book and he mentions that Ravenloft is one of his favourite settings and then he sais that Vlad Drakov was a vampire, I guess he is not a really big fan after all...

Also he mentions that the darklord of Dementlieu is going to have ghouls as footmen, well dressed ghouls with rotten teath and is going be a mixture of fey and fairytales and Masque of the red death. Not at all machiavellian...

So lets hope he just is missinformed as in the case of vampire lord Vlad Dracov Dracula.
You can be a fan and still not know all the lore. Especially if it's been a decade or two...
I have a good memory (at least with thing that interest me) so yes maybe I was a bit strict about that, but Vlad Drakov is a bit iconic as the human that is worse than monsters. On the other hand he is making a review and probably gets paid for that so the least he could do was do a better research.
Just watched the video and it was in the middle of a long stretch of speaking, and related to him discussing Strahd, Drakov, and Vlad Dracul. So it felt less like a lore fail and more like a human slip-of-the-tongue and he didn't want to stop and redo that whole 5-minute stretch.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Five wrote:Getting back to VRGtR, I'm still scratching my head about the whole paying more, a lot more, for less pages. What's up with that?
Sorry stupid question, paying more compared with what?
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Five wrote:To be fair, dropping the mod while you're in the mix is a ***** move. In cases like that, where the mod is directly involved, it's more respectful for all if another mod mediates. Otherwise it's a reacharound mic mute, or, can be taken as such.

Getting back to VRGtR, I'm still scratching my head about the whole paying more, a lot more, for less pages. What's up with that?

Content aside of course. (I've already spoken).
I mean, capitalism baby. Same reason this is coming out so quick, I'd bet, because Curse of Strahd ended up selling well. Yeah it is kind of pricey.
"Is there anything keeping us from checking that place out tonight?" Besides sanity, naturally.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:
Mephisto wrote: Just watched the video and it was in the middle of a long stretch of speaking, and related to him discussing Strahd, Drakov, and Vlad Dracul. So it felt less like a lore fail and more like a human slip-of-the-tongue and he didn't want to stop and redo that whole 5-minute stretch.
Maybe, if that is the case apologies Mr. Kenreck.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Mephisto wrote:
Five wrote:Getting back to VRGtR, I'm still scratching my head about the whole paying more, a lot more, for less pages. What's up with that?
It's a 27 buck markup from Rime of the Frostmaiden, which came in at a higher page count.

Capitalism is not the word I'd use. It is what it is, but it's also not long in them from getting away from the less books/easy budget thing they started out with. It's just so blatant haha

Both Ravenloft books carry a higher pricetag if my eyes aren't cocked. Royalties built in?
Last edited by Five on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Five wrote:To be fair, dropping the mod while you're in the mix is a ***** move.
You're welcome to your opinion, but we're a small board here, with not a lot of posters. The chances of one of the mods being involved involved in a discussion is high. Sometimes we will have to moderate something we're involved in, it's the nature of the beast. And "please be respectful" isn't a particularly difficult request to abide by, it's a basic expectation of anyone posting here.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mephisto wrote:
OK I din't remember how much CoS was...

Well I agree that they saw that the campaign sells especially if the revamped and legendary editions sold well, so maybe they priced it up, for us fanatics to buy it.

Since I don't play 5th edition (actually don't play at all) I don't see many reasons to buy it as for me it is useless in game mechanics and I am unsatisfied by what I ve read so far. I 'll give it a look in my local game store (the same I ' ve been going since 1991) and see if I 'll buy it.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

On the subject of "why remake the existing domains into something completely different," I get that, and can absolutely see the perspective. But on the other hand, why rehash the same stuff we've seen for 30 years? The ideal would be to build on what was there and move it forward, but as mentioned, that has the continuity quagmire issue. If I had to choose, I'd rather see a completely different take on Falkovnia and Dementlieu (two of my favorite domains, by the way) than read a rewording of the same stuff we've gotten so many times before.

Everyone's going to have their favorites and their less favorites. Valachan never clicked with me, so I don't really care if it gets remade or not. Dementlieu is more central to Ravenloft than Barovia for me, so it's going to be weird to see ghouls and fey there, but I'll give it a chance.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:On the subject of "why remake the existing domains into something completely different," I get that, and can absolutely see the perspective. But on the other hand, why rehash the same stuff we've seen for 30 years? The ideal would be to build on what was there and move it forward, but as mentioned, that has the continuity quagmire issue. If I had to choose, I'd rather see a completely different take on Falkovnia and Dementlieu (two of my favorite domains, by the way) than read a rewording of the same stuff we've gotten so many times before.

Everyone's going to have their favorites and their less favorites. Valachan never clicked with me, so I don't really care if it gets remade or not. Dementlieu is more central to Ravenloft than Barovia for me, so it's going to be weird to see ghouls and fey there, but I'll give it a chance.
I agree in that if it is a continuation as in "what happened after the Time of Unparallel Darkness?" OK.
And you are right that to just have a version of the same stuff just in a newer edition doesn't say much, but the example of Vikta Mordenheim hunting Elise shows otherwise.

I mean for Dementlieu ghouls with fine clothes where is the Gothic Horror in that, it sound superficial.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

$49.95 is the standard price they charge for books. And 256-pages is close to the norm: that's the same size as Ravnica and Theros.
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Everyone's going to have their favorites and their less favorites. Valachan never clicked with me, so I don't really care if it gets remade or not. Dementlieu is more central to Ravenloft than Barovia for me, so it's going to be weird to see ghouls and fey there, but I'll give it a chance.
This is going to be me if there are any major changes to Richemulot. It's a major setting for a lot of my games (given that it completely surrounds my homebrew stuff.) So changes to it may be a bit jarring, but I'm willing to give it a go. My brain is already whirring away at how to accommodate the changes to Falkovnia.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

It seems pretty obvious that the setting will be isolated domains, as someone else postulated. It sounds like the idea is to move away from gothic horror & have different domains where people can experience different types of horror adventures (something for everyone). The only thing that kind of irks me is that they're basically using the Ravenloft name to sell a horror product, which kind of sucks since they're basically ignoring the history of the setting to a certain extent.

Changing many characters without any explanation seems a bit unfair to all the writers who put in the work over the years. If, for example, they were moving the timeline forward 50 or so years and that's why the domains and lords had changed, I think that would be cool.

For instance, when they changed Forgotten Realms around in 4th edition, there was a storyline behind it (Cyirc & Shar killing Mystra f'd up the whole world). But here, it sounds like they're just saying, "nope, Vlad Drakov, Baron von Kharkov, Victor Mordenheim & Dominic D'Honaire, along with who knows what other darklords just never existed & this is our new take on them." That's pretty disappointing for all of us who are long time Ravenloft fans.

Again, not trying to sound negative, as I'm sure there will be some really cool stuff in it (not to sound like a broken record but I like the investigator background, in theory), but I just don't see why they could not have moved the timeline forward & that way change up the domains as they saw fit. Seems like it's really about making horror themed gaming and slapping Ravenloft on it so vets like us will pick it up because it says Ravenloft.

I hope I'm wrong. I also thought Heath Ledger would be lame as Joker, and well, yeah, that was not correct. Here's hoping this product will be Heath Ledger!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mephisto wrote:And you are right that to just have a version of the same stuff just in a newer edition doesn't say much, but the example of Vikta Mordenheim hunting Elise shows otherwise.
Theory Vikta managed to destroy both Viktor and Adam trying to save her aunt Elise, but then something went wrong mybe the Apparatus machine and Elise has exchanged bodies with Vikta or something...