Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

One word: exile. :)
Hrtofdrkns
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Hrtofdrkns »

Well, I always thought that the "pain" the paladin caused the darklord was more of a "pain in the ass", always ruining their plans and killing their minions.
Thing's always work out if you just do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences.
-Peter Griffin
Smackbottom

Re: Hiding a Paladin From a DL

Post by Smackbottom »

Stygian Inquirer wrote:Otherwise I do not use it too much because you can easily make the players paranoid and worried to even leave the house in the morning. Then the paladin class levels would convert to Ravenloft Wussie class levels.
Maybe I'm just overly twisted... but if my players are running lawful good PC's and are not paranoid I'd feel like I was doing something very wrong. It's the ability to overcome the paranoia and venture out regardless that makes them heroic. (and why the bards will continue to sing of them long after the denizens of darkness have feasted on their entrails.)

As far as hanging out in or around sacred ground, I wouldnt consider that an act of cowardice. I would consider it a due reward for the paladin... a place to rest for preparation of the next round of battle vs. evil, as well as a way to recharge his spiritual battery and receive a little affirmation that his god(s) haven't totally abandoned him / her in the course.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Perhaps I misinterpreted the hiding in a church idea. I wasn't thinking about a paladin who lives in a church in his downtime, or simply spends a lot of time in church. Both of those are completely in character. I was thinking about a paladin who never leaves the church for fear of being spotted by the DL. (Think Darius from the Highlander TV show.) For a priest to never leave a church, that's fine. It's what they do. For a paladin, it's turning his back on his calling to actively fight the good fight.

As for spells, I don't like mortal magic superceding the powers of DLs, if they work, it would be partial, and temporary.

Another option might be to move somewhere with a "Friendlier" DL. As mentioned, not every DL would go after him. Not every DL even COULD. Move to Liffe. Evensong can't leave his mansion, as far as I know, and there can be lots of evil to fight elsewhere on and around the island. Living in the Shadow Rift might not be the best option, but he would only have to contend with Twilight-alinged fey, and not Gwydion himself.

Invidia might be a good choice. Neither Gabrielle nor Mallocchio would pass up such a useful tool to use against the other.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Paladin moves to Invidia, Gabby beds him and charms him with her old "this nasty man in the west is threatening my people, please save us" ploy while batting her eye lids. Paladin storms off to kill this bad man, dies, Gabby hunts for another paladin.

WOW! Now that is a great idea :) heheheh :twisted:

I'd place better odds on surviving in Timor for more tha nan hour ;)
Swallow your soul!
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

(Think Darius from the Highlander TV show.)
That is something else entirely.

Darius wasn't afraid of dying...he just didn't want to kill anyone and to lead a life of peace. He wasn't a paladin and didn't have a duty to do anything.

Completely different.

Darius ruled.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Troile wrote:Completely different.

Darius ruled.
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. As I said in the next sentence: "For a priest to never leave a church, that's fine. It's what they do. For a paladin, it's turning his back on his calling to actively fight the good fight."

Sorry for not being clearer tha by "a priest," I meant Darius himself. Darius did indeed rule. He wasn't a paladin, and had no obligation to fight in the Gathering.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."