Masque ideas for the Quoth the Raven 12

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Malus Black wrote:As I said on the main project thread for issue 12, I'm intending to do a writeup on stallo, nasty creatures from sami legend which strongly resemble dread golems, although stallo are created exclusively a assassins. Currently, I'm still wondering how to actually put it into writing. Other than that, I have some ideas, but I doubt I'll get them done.
Oooh... I'm looking forward to reading about them. They sound like they'll be particularly useful for a campaign idea I've had brewing for some months now...
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

David of the Frat wrote:Send a couple my way then, I'm blanking for #12. :(
You fancy taking up the challenge of presenting The War of the Worlds for the 3.5 Gothic Earth? At the rate I am going it will be months before I get it finished. I have a few basic ideas down that I can mail you if you like :)

I just want to see it get done for issue 12, even if it isn't by me, someone should do it.
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Well I don't want to steal your idea and project but we could collaborate.
I'm fairly familiar with the novel and other adaptations of it (Moore's LoEG). It's a heavy project though, multiple devices and new monsters...

Well, not like there isn't time, deadline is months away.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Very true. I am currently thinking up some things for the Mart6ians, building from the ground up you could say. Firstly I am planning to get the Martians designed and then begin on the other things. My intent was to detail all the Martian things from the book first, including the cylinders, heat ray, war machines, etc. The Red Weed is something I have been having some trouble with at the moment, but I haven't reread that portion of the book yet. And as you said David, the deadline is months away. So perhaps a collaberation between us might be the best way to do things, as there is alot to put in.

Most fun I have had with it so far is coming up with a system for the Earth's atmosphere to slowly poison the Martians.

Of course, there are a fair few characters to mention, or even detail in full. At the very least the curate deserses a good mention and a possible full profile on him, to me he is one of the most important characters of the book, putting things on a religious scale on par with armageddon.
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'll have to reread it again too, or just hit Spark Notes.
In all honesty the book has not aged well and there are many, many slow sections.
And don't forget the Martians drink blood! :twisted:
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Why not have the red weed as a kind of fungus/plant type monster that as it devours/kills more living matter it gains HD and size category. But has a very slow movement rate of 5 feet or less.

It could have vulnerability to fire which drives it back.

Remember part of the martians plan is to capture humans then inject their blood into themselves -probably to enable them to live in the atmosphere. Though what this blood transfusion does is up to the imagination -I see it as transforming the martian slightly through rapid dna evolution and resequencing.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Coan wrote:Why not have the red weed as a kind of fungus/plant type monster that as it devours/kills more living matter it gains HD and size category. But has a very slow movement rate of 5 feet or less.

It could have vulnerability to fire which drives it back.

Remember part of the martians plan is to capture humans then inject their blood into themselves -probably to enable them to live in the atmosphere. Though what this blood transfusion does is up to the imagination -I see it as transforming the martian slightly through rapid dna evolution and resequencing.
I'm not sure if that's feasible: Human red blood cells don't have nuclei, in that, they have no DNA in them.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well perhaps they extract all the body fluids?
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Coan wrote:Well perhaps they extract all the body fluids?
I'm suddenly reminded of a rarely used Jim Carey quote...
"I dreamed I was a juicebox..."
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I had forgotte nabout the Martians drinking blood, so that will have to go in there. Perhaps imbibing the fluid delays the slow poisoning caused by Earth's atmosphere? Granting the Martian and bonus in staving off the effects of the poisoning... Hmm... will have to ponder on that awhile. Surely some of the antibodies carried by humans would be within the blood, allowing this to happen.

Coan, great ideas for the Red Weed, I may have to steal and adapt your ideas.

Perhaps those of us adding input to this prooject could put together our own thread to work on brainstorming and such. That way it becomes a larger collaberation and all of us would gain some credit :)
Swallow your soul!
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

IIRC, the Red Weed was always near water (didn't the Martians use it to stop up rivers and such?). Possibly water causes it to advance itself or something?
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

If I rememebr right, the Red Weed grows everywhere, but as I said earlier, I am not at that point in the book yet (curses upon Dorian Gray and Dracula causing me distractions, grrr...).
Swallow your soul!