Farewell to the Flesh and other RPGA Ravenloft Modules

Discussing all things Ravenloft
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Farewell to the Flesh and other RPGA Ravenloft Modules

Post by woodsdarkman »

Jim needs to go Fed Ex and make a bunch of copies of his Farewell to the Flesh and mail them to us. I will never tell.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

That's not going to happen, sorry!

BTW, I also have "Legacy of Venom", "A Second Chance", "The Haunting of Silver Ruins", and "The Heart's Final Beat" in my collection.

I may have another Ravenloft collector's item very soon... :)

EDIT: I did get a new unusual item for my collection today: a TSR era Ravenloft Ballcap. ;>)
Last edited by Catman Jim on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by woodsdarkman »

I am going to do my best Khan impression.

JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Giamarga wrote:Don't we have summaries of this and some of the others somewhere here on the site?
Sorta kinda...
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Maus ... _List.html
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

One of these oh so rare RPGA modules (Heart's final beat) was included in a TSR adventure anthology TSR Jam:
P

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Draw ... SRJam.html
Cam
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Cam »

Hi all, I see some of these RPGA modules on ebay today, but alas, someone richer than I wants Farewell to the Flesh badly. Did the community ever find or create electronic versions that someone could share or point me to? Much appreciated, my Carnival campaigns need this! I'm interested in the others too, but that one is tops.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

These are very rare and copyrighted items.

Ask yourself, who would pay a lot of money on ebay (or other places) to give them for free ? :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Cam
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Cam »

Yeah, I don't envision anyone breaking the rules and sharing scanned versions without permission, nor would I want to be party to that. But I also know some members of this community talk with the authors and copyright holders about access from time to time. So if that ever bears fruit, that would be wonderful.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Joël of the FoS wrote:These are very rare and copyrighted items.

Ask yourself, who would pay a lot of money on ebay (or other places) to give them for free ? :)
All in the hands of those who can afford the exclusivity, rather than people who can afford the time to play. This is the great irony of the collector: they preserve the bones of the fandom they love, but not its life. I bet you could make a darklord out of that.

@Cam, I wish I had something to offer you. I hope someone else does, one day, so you can treat your players.

Edit: My disdain for this sort of thing comes from my late PI, who would, especially in the old days before the internet, get requests for article reprints from fellows whose institutions couldn't afford the journal fees. The publishers limited the amounts of reprints the authors were able to legally distribute, even though science research is done with public funds and for the public good. It was sad when my PI would get requests for reprints of his old PI's stuff (which he kept precisely for this reason), because the requester had no one else to ask because the lab was gone. Needless to say much photocopying and faxing was done. ttRPGs are a bit different, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for resellers' profits versus the people who want to actually play the game.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ah ah ah, that's a valid point of view :D Indeed, the price these reached on ebay was ridiculous. To circumvent that in part, I was part of a group that decided to collectively buy a few of these at awful prices, and share between ourselves the bounty (and only between ourselves). If any of these RPGA comes to the market, I'd be willing to chip in again.

But no, we never got permission to host these from Wizards (who coud not care less I think, as they never reoffered them when everything 2e was made into in PDFs), or the authors (don't think they could without Wizards saying it's OK, as Mangrum once said about these - see page before...).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Ah ah ah, that's a valid point of view :D Indeed, the price these reached on ebay was ridiculous. To circumvent that in part, I was part of a group that decided to collectively buy a few of these at awful prices, and share between ourselves the bounty (and only between ourselves). If any of these RPGA comes to the market, I'd be willing to chip in again.
Joël
If that pot ever comes up again i for one wold be more than willing to chip in.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Joël of the FoS wrote:But no, we never got permission to host these from Wizards (who coud not care less I think, as they never reoffered them when everything 2e was made into in PDFs), or the authors (don't think they could without Wizards saying it's OK, as Mangrum once said about these - see page before...).

Joël
I am also sympathetic to the people who individually don't want to play with legal fire, especially with their websites. I've personally seen websites and their communities drop when the DMCAs come out. To be fair these were playing with legal fire knowingly and had prepared for the eventuality, but collateral damage gets done anyway. That, and a too share-happy atmosphere risks undermining the still-active creators who do in fact need financial incentive to continue because appreciation doesn't pay the rent.

I just hope someone has guts, access, and answers in the PMs of people like Cam who are good faith looking to play something out of print.

That reminds me, I should submit more of FoS to archive.org. We all know the pain of dead websites. If anyone has any favorite articles and threads, please submit them, just in case!
Cam
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Cam »

Thanks @Mischief. I think most of us have gone through phases of trying to find rare modules and accessories over the last twenty years, it's the curse of being a DM committed to this setting. (I only wish I had focused my efforts more on these than on some of the nonsense modules around 2005 :-) Anyway I too would go in on future group efforts to buy and share rare materials.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

brothersale wrote:If that pot ever comes up again i for one wold be more than willing to chip in.
We need a membership organization. You "buy in" to the organization, and become a co-owner of the product.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

If you guys ever find my white whale the Stezen D‘Polarno/Ghastria RPGA modules hit me up and I’ll chip in again.