Railway Murder

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Railway Murder

Post by Malus Black »

So, I'm writing an adventure which takes place entirely on a train somewhere in the English countryside, and I'm at a loss when it comes to the consequences of such an event. Once the murder has been discovered, what would be the logic course of action from the crew? After all, they're an hour or so from the nearest station, there's a murderer on the train (not to mention a dead body), and the safety of the passengers can hardly be guaranteed. Now, I imagine that the conductor would order the passenger to gather in the dining wagon under the supervision of a crewmember, but that's all I've got so far. Any ideas?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Railway Murder

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Malus Black wrote:Now, I imagine that the conductor would order the passenger to gather in the dining wagon under the supervision of a crewmember, but that's all I've got so far.
I guess. I'm going by the model in the movie "Horror Express", so of course this may not be what they did in RL - but I'd imagine they'd telegraph the nearest town/city and contact the local constabulary. Then they'd gather all the passengers in one place as you say (but no guarantee the murderer's not among them!), followed by making an emergency stop and letting some real law enforcement officials on (they might not actually need a full station to come to a stop). Just my guesses.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

If gathering all passengers in one spot is impossible for some reason, or if people have a good reason to leave the room, it will be strongly advised that each person be never left alone, and be accompanied by at least one other person at all times. Safety in numbers, you might say.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

It depends on who found the body. If it was a passenger they might pull the emergency stop wire causing a huge jolt and stop.

A conductor or other responcible staff member who kept their wits about them would post one or two guards over the room (not to prevent tampering with the crime but to stop other passengers finding out) and then inform the driver.

But how big a train are we talking about? If it is multi-carriaged there is no room big enough to house everyone (plus first class wouldn't rub shoulders with 3rd class). Possibly have everyone confined to their compartments with the conductors and staff patrolling the corridors while also going into each apartment and checking names and people are where they are meant to be.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Depends on the size of the train, the type of murder, etc.

At first they may assume it was accidental death or natural causes (assuming there is no horrifying wounds or murder weapon) and keep it quiet not wishing to alarm everyone.
They may attempt to check to see if everyone is present first (to see if there are other killings or if the murderer could have jumped off). Then they may gather everyone together or post guards in key hallways.
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Good ideas, everyone. I suppose I should give some more details. The train itself is relatively small, just four or five wagons, one being the dining wagon, but it's the day's last train, and would as such be nearly full. The murderer in this case is an intact ancient dead, searching for a number of gems which are very important to him. The victim, an elderly antiquarian, is unfortunate enough to have bought one such gem recently. The mummy enters the antiquarian's compartment under the assumption that the man is sleeping, which he is not. Not wishing to blow his cover, the mummy snaps the man's neck. Unfortunately for the mummy, the man has the time to shout for help, forcing the mummy to flee through the window (he has the weightlessness salient ability). The PCs, who are in a nearby compartment, hopefully arrive at the same time as two crewmembers. The mummy, having slipped back in again, also arrives, claiming to have heard a scream and come to investigate.

I'm considering continuing like this:
One of the crewmembers stands guard while the other leaves to inform the conductor. In the meantime, other passengers arrive, drawn by the scream. The mummy uses his ability to locate the gems and discovers that the gem is somewhere on the antiquarian - a wallet or something similar. When the conductor arrives he orders - as per Coan's and David's suggestion - everyone to get back to their compartments and stay there while the crewmembers check that everyone is present. As Igor suggested, any travel through the train will have to be in groups. If the PCs have any medical skills or are connected to the police in any way, they will be asked to investigate, in which case they will discover that not only has the old man's neck been snapped in one blow, but also a piece of black cloth stuck in the window and a black button on the floor (both the mummy's).
The mummy is getting annoyed by this time. If he can't get the gem before proper police officers arrive, this will complicate his plans. As he shares the PCs compartment and there is still a guard outside the victim's compartment, he can't easily get to the gem. Under the pretense of going to the toilet (accompanied by someone, most likely a PC), he sneaks out through the toilet window (possible spot check for the PC to notice something moving outside) and over to the victim's window. Using his extinguish salient ability, he, well, extinguishes all the light in the hallway, swiftly opens the window, and drags the body on to the roof, where he takes the gem and dumps the body before returning to the toilet (new spot check for the PC). Now that the mummy has everything he needs, he returns to his compartment.
With the body gone, the conductor is getting desperate. If he has not done so before, he begs the PCs, who seem resourceful, to help find the murderer. Seeing as he has stolen a dead body before the eyes of a guard, who knows what he'll do next. Now, if not earlier, the PCs' detective abilities come into play. Going by the only clue they have - the torn cloth and button - they must check every black coat in the train, a very time-consuming task. The mummy, being in the same compartment as them, will probably discover what they intend to do. He realizes that his cover has been blown, and that his current identity - an arcaheologist specializing in the Incan empire - will soon be wasted unless he acts, and so he has few options. He asks to speak with the PC carrying the evidence in private, and then attacks the PC from behind in an attempt to knock him out. If he succeeds, he disposes of the evidence, tears up his own coat as if he has struggled, and pretends to have been knocked out as well. If he fails to incapacitate them, or the PC realizes that it is he who is attacking him, he will kill the PC before following the same procedure. By the time they arrive at the next station, there is no evidence, and the mummy can go on to finding the next gem. If the remaining PCs or other passengers hear the fight between the PC and the mummy, he will flee with the gem, dispose of his current identity, and continue his search.

Ideas? Suggestions? Ways to increase PC involvement (I often have trouble with that in short adventures)? Possible red herrings and more complicated detective work?

And Santu, did trains in the 1890s have wireless telegraphs? In that case, I agree that the conductor would waste no time in telegraphing the nearest police station to send officers to meet the train.
All that we see or seem

-Edgar Allan Poe
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Depends. Marconi founded his Wireless Telegraph and Signal Company in 1897. Any wireless communications that existed then would likely have been quite primitive and without much of a range.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Red herring: Use a cutscene to show when the PCs board the train. Have the man killed someone of importance and as he arrives to board the train he has an argument with someone (another person who boards the train with an angry look towards the man). This makes the man a suspect.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Nice idea, that could definitely work, particularly with players as paranoid as mine.
All that we see or seem

-Edgar Allan Poe