The Kargatane: Where are they now?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Kargatane: Where are they now?

Post by Ryan Naylor »

I was primarily making a joke. However, you have missed the original Tsien Chang.

Azalin is technically not a necromancer. He's a universalist with a lot of necromancy spells.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Jack the Reaper wrote:So many necromancers? Why, there are Strahd, Azalin, Meredoth, Morgoroth, Daglan and Misroi. Missed someone?
More than that though, Ryan made efforts to make each one of them mechanically different. For example, Strahd wasn't just a 16th level Necromancer and Tsien Chiang was a 20th, as they were in 2E. He made Tsien a 20th level wood elementalist wizard, fitting with her theme and backstory.

I don't remember all the details...but I remember him talking about ways to make each one different. Even if it was just spell selection or such.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I still poke my head in here once in a blue moon, but it's been two editions since my "era," so these days I don't really have too much to say. I fell out of RPGs as a hobby for a while, but Pathfinder eventually pulled me back into GMing. I dipped my toe back into writing professionally about four-ish years ago (an entry in Ships of the Inner Sea - I nabbed the cover!), just enough to confirm that I really don't miss it.

I still think about Ravenloft once in a while; about four or five years ago I tried to resuscitate my old campaign with two players as a sort of play-by-post/fiction-writing exercise, partly to get some closure on the old game, partly to playtest some lycanthrope rules I wrote up for myself (for Pathfinder). But one of the players backed out, and it didn't feel right to continue without him, so that stalled out as well.

Ravenloft did contribute to a quirk of creative fate, though; when Curse of Strahd came out back in 2016, I signed up to play a session of it (DMed by Chris Perkins) at Gary Con. Highly unusual behavior for me - though I do still attend cons (mostly just Gary Con these days; I think I'm done with Gen Con), I almost NEVER sign up for events; I just go to hang out with far-flung friends. Anyway, totally coincidentally, I noticed that the guy I was sitting next to at the table was a YouTuber that I was not only a fan of but actually a Patreon patron. Despite my quasi-masochistic motivation for going to the event, it ended up being a ton of fun, and long story short I ended up befriending the YouTuber and getting involved in some of their videos (just for fun, in my case).

I recently kicked off a Starfinder campaign, so that, board games, and playing an obscene amount of Sea of Thieves is where my head's at these days.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Glad to hear you're still doing well Mangrum! And for what it's worth, I still have a pang of sadness when I think of the Mordent we could have gotten, had you gotten your shot at writing it for the Gazetteer.