Something I never thought I'd see.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Something I never thought I'd see.

Post by Scipio »

My Ravenloft mini-campaign for Halloween ended tonight after a trip through Darkagnon Estates, the House of Lament, and finally Doctor Heinfroth's asylum. Fun was had by all, but it had something I never thought would happen in a game.

A player actually defended a Darklord (without knowing it.) When discussing how things felt "hinky" in the asylum in an undefined way one of the party members actually flat out said "No way, Heinfroth is one of the good guys. He healed us for crying out loud! And of course he wants us to stay for observation, the headless horseman cut our heads off and he had to reattach them!"

You guys ever have the party back up the Darklords like this?
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Epically
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Something I never thought I'd see.

Post by Epically »

In my evil campaign they worked for Harkon Lucas, Vladimir Dracov and Kazzandra (this was during Azalin's disappearance, so I think it kind of counts) and one of my players was even engaged to Ivana Boritsi and ended up becoming an Emordonung.

**Edit - One of my other players also had a long term arrangement with Vladimir Ludzig, who ended up being Darklord of Falkovnia after Dracov's death.
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

That definitely counts if they ended up engaged to Boritsi. The player, earlier today, said he stands by his statement. Heinfroth was nothing but good to them.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

I could definitively see players siding with Harkon Lucas. He is relatively benign for a darklord on the surface, and much more likely to sweet-talk and aid a party in order to more effectively ensnare them in his plots. Only on the long term, or if the party should fail to play their part in his plans, are they going to see his malice out in the open.
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

The closest to that is my players helped Gabriel Addare overthrow the Dukkar, who was granted his own domain. She treated them quite well as she saw them as useful. Her time out of power taught her the value of subtlety.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Scipio wrote:That definitely counts if they ended up engaged to Boritsi. The player, earlier today, said he stands by his statement. Heinfroth was nothing but good to them.
Sounds like he is good at player/character separation. If the DL treated his character well then I agree with him that his character should think he is a good guy. The player may know he is a DL but the character sees a guy who treated him well.