Seeking inspiration for Carnival and Forlorn Campaigns

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Castleguard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Seeking inspiration for Carnival and Forlorn Campaigns

Post by Castleguard »

Hello freaks.

Does any of you have run a solid Carnival or Forlorn campaigns that I could check to take inspiration?
I love to read journals. Let me know if you can. Thanks a lot.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Seeking inspiration for Carnival and Forlorn Campaigns

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Wish I could help. Carnival has been one of the missed opportunities in my campaign. I started out wanting them to be majorly involved and introduced them in the first session, then I tried to drop some hooks for them here and there, but we never really got back to it. At this point, I doubt any of my players remember them. If you want to see what I did, though, they are at the end of Session 1, start of Session 2. Then they briefly met Blasse in Session 11, and Pacali in Session 15.

They figure rather heavily in the backstory of one of my major NPCs (Gustav Malvoni), but other than that, I haven't been able to find the right time to bring them back in.

(journals are at themistway.com)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rathbone
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rathbone »

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a Carnival campaign?

My PCs recently ventured into Forlorn as a diversion from Feast Of Goblyns but I just ran a couple of the minor quests to give them a flavour for the place (and to try out my Scottish accent) before returning to the more pressing matter of the Crown of Souls.
Castleguard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Castleguard »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Wish I could help. Carnival has been one of the missed opportunities in my campaign. I started out wanting them to be majorly involved and introduced them in the first session, then I tried to drop some hooks for them here and there, but we never really got back to it. At this point, I doubt any of my players remember them. If you want to see what I did, though, they are at the end of Session 1, start of Session 2. Then they briefly met Blasse in Session 11, and Pacali in Session 15.

They figure rather heavily in the backstory of one of my major NPCs (Gustav Malvoni), but other than that, I haven't been able to find the right time to bring them back in.

(journals are at themistway.com)
Thanks a lot Gonzoron! I will have a look! Pretty sure there it will be something to give me some ideas =]
Castleguard
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Castleguard »

Rathbone wrote:Please forgive my ignorance but what is a Carnival campaign?

My PCs recently ventured into Forlorn as a diversion from Feast Of Goblyns but I just ran a couple of the minor quests to give them a flavour for the place (and to try out my Scottish accent) before returning to the more pressing matter of the Crown of Souls.
Rathbone, Carnival is an accessory for Ravenloft. It got very good reviews and it's praised as one of the best Ravenloft products launched.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Castleguard wrote:Rathbone, Carnival is an accessory for Ravenloft. It got very good reviews and it's praised as one of the best Ravenloft products launched.
Indeed. Highly recommended to get your hands on it yourself, but in brief, it's a travelling Carnival and "Freak Show" formed from the remnants of the Carnival l'Morai from the novel Carnival of Fear. They now travel the lands of Ravenloft, led by their mysterious benefactor Isolde.

You can find some more info in Mistipedia...
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Cat ... _(Society)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rathbone
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rathbone »

Thank you both! :D
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

Rathbone wrote:Please forgive my ignorance but what is a Carnival campaign?

I actually connected those two adventures.. well, tried to. They once visited Forlorn way back (20 years real time I think..) While running FoG I connected the crown with Forlorn by letting them find a very old letter (in either Radaga or Domininia's hideout, not sure) from Flora ApBlanc's father to her, bemoaning what happened to Rivalin, citing what happened during the last battle against the other clan. This clan was led by the warrior that had the Crown of Souls and that he had lost his crown, which was picked up by Rivalin. The Wizard that created the Crown and the Crown itself disappeared after that, and Rivalin appeared in his new state in Forfar. I replaced the elf in the Crown with the good spirit of Rivalin. The Rivalin that came back as a vampire was the evil version, though here his goodness tried to prevail.

But, my players never took the bait and went back to Forlorn..
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein