Death of Duke Bevis Vistin and State of Bergovitsa?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Death of Duke Bevis Vistin and State of Bergovitsa?

Post by Zilfer »

Hello all, been awhile since I've posted around here and it's approaching October once more which is the sign for me to plan a ravenloft game for my birthday month! So I'm deciding to set it in Nova Vassa and I'm fairly interested in using Bergovitsa as the starting point and possibly the main focus of the short lived game. (possibility of continuing past October pending Player interest)

Anyways interested in thoughts and ideas about Duke Bevis Vistin's death and the state of Bergovitsa around the time a bit after his death. Background for those who don't know is the Vistin family and the Rivtoff family kind of feud over Bergovitsa which is situated I'd say on the border of their two territories. Duke Vistin died leaving his youngest son of two years old on his throne so his mother Lara Vistin is acting as his regent. This will possibly be just background stuff while the players are going about but I'd like to hammer it out before I begin play.

What I'm thinking is since it does not mention how Bevis Vistin died, perhaps he was assassinated. Lady Vistin believes it was the Rivtoff's who at least had some hand in the killing but has no proof because whoever did it framed one of their most trusted guards. (Someone close enough that she is almost entirely certain this person did not kill her husband but for the sake of publicity or having a culprit has gone along with) She believes that Duke Soren Rivtoff who has extended the kindness to help teach Little Duke Grigori Vistin how to rule when he is older is trying to manuver himself into a position to take Bergovitsa / end the Feud.

Meanwhile Soren Rivtoff really didn't have anything to do with the murder/assassination but he does see an opportunity to possibly wrestle more control from the Vistin family in Bergovitsa. So he is in a way glad that Bevis died and is sincere about his offer though he does probably plan to try and manipulate Grigori in one way or another. Despite the seeming blow to the Vistin family however Lady Lara Vistin has managed to keep hold and maintain the grip on Bergovitsa.

Meanwhile while these two houses are focused on each other as they usually are the true culprits are mostly undetected. Researching a bit it looks like the old "Eternal King Gorkyn" was originally a Vistin which I find interesting... I'm thinking it was Othmar ultimately behind wanting to have Bevis Vistin removed since he was one of the most vehemently opposed to him breaking the Cycle of Stewards. (For those of you that don't know it's like an agreement between 5 ruling houses to switch who was the 'main' leader or prince of Nova Vassa as a whole) I'm thinking Othmar turned to Malken who had another (but as of yet undetermined) reason for getting rid of the Duke Vistin.

That's as far as I've gotten brain storming this however, I wanted thoughts, alternative ideas, or comments so far. :D Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this. I need to think of a few ways this might manifest while they are going about town doing other stuff, and how the church is involved if at all, or if they are content to watch the fires build up and then come in to support the victor afterwards.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf