Can the Vistani leave the Demiplane?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Can the Vistani leave the Demiplane?

Post by cure »

Call me a racist, but Vistani are not of all races. Being Vistani is very much in the blood, and not just in the upbringing, let alone signing up on the dotted line. The Vistani are not the French Foreign Legion. The Dark Powers do not say, well we have to forget about him because he just signed up with the Vistani.
The cure for what ails you
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Well in 4E they can be of all races. Besides, becoming a Vistani isn't as simple as what has been indicated in Heroes of Shadow; the Dragon article already implies that the Vistani don't just choose who becomes of the Blood just because you want to be one of them.

Although yes, the 4E Vistani article has its flaws (males having the Evil Eye), nevertheless it allows players the option of becoming one of them without having to see them as all-powerful as the classic Ravenloft setting revealed them to be.
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

I think the vistani can leave ravenloft.

Do you have a link to the 4E vistani article? Does this mean 4E Ravenloft is on?
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Galeros »

BedrockBrendan wrote:I think the vistani can leave ravenloft.

Do you have a link to the 4E vistani article? Does this mean 4E Ravenloft is on?
They are just using elements from different settings in the "default" setting.
riMkrad
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by riMkrad »

If the Vistani could leave.... wouldn't they have bailed already?
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

riMkrad wrote:If the Vistani could leave.... wouldn't they have bailed already?
Maybe they enjoy being special. Ravenloft essentially distills power to them.
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Or may be they have to come back.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

BedrockBrendan wrote:Do you have a link to the 4E vistani article? Does this mean 4E Ravenloft is on?
You'll need a D&D Insider account to get it, but here's the official link:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TOC.aspx?x=d ... /drtoc/380

No, it does not mean that 4E Ravenloft is on, though. This article predates even the original announcement of 4E Ravenloft, and adapts the vistani to be part of the core of D&D, not Ravenloft specific. The mentions of vistani and domains of dread in the Shadowfell box set and Heroes of Shadow may or may not have been intended to tie in to the 2011 4E Ravenloft product, had it not been cancelled.

Yes, the 4e Vistani are quite different than past editions, especially in their more open adoption policy. Like it or not, non-human Vistani are official, and they can be found throughout the multiverse. Though it was nice that they noted in the article that DM's may restrict membership further in their own worlds. So it's possible that Ravenloft vistani are still all human.

As for whether (Ravenloft) vistani can leave permanently, I tend to agree with Joel, that they likely get pulled back if they wander in other worlds for too long. Gothic Earth is an exception, because it may be part of Ravenloft in some ways. (The "unofficial official" word is that the Red Death was meant to be an outcast Dark Power)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Yes, the 4e Vistani are quite different than past editions, especially in their more open adoption policy. Like it or not, non-human Vistani are official, and they can be found throughout the multiverse. Though it was nice that they noted in the article that DM's may restrict membership further in their own worlds. So it's possible that Ravenloft vistani are still all human.
Yeah, no way. I think it is safe to say that non-human Vistani, or non-bloodline Vistani has been rejected by just about everyone. I am glad that Ravenloft never really got a treatment in 4E. It may have proven to be a stake in the heart to the Ravenloft setting.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Yes, they can leave, but the Mists may follow them...

That's my take on it.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

ewancummins wrote:Yes, they can leave, but the Mists may follow them...
Its been over 2 decades since I read it, but didn't Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani strongly imply that the Zarovan could leave? I doubt the other tribes can.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tomokaicho wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Yes, they can leave, but the Mists may follow them...
Its been over 2 decades since I read it, but didn't Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani strongly imply that the Zarovan could leave? I doubt the other tribes can.

It does, IIRC. My copy is in my son's room. Not accessible just now.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I checked -

Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack of Tears »

Weren't the Vistani mentioned in one of the Planescape products, just in passing? I could have sworn ...