Slam Attack

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Slam Attack

Post by Ail »

Hi,

I'd like to know what is a slam attack. I keep seeing that in lots of monsters but I've looked for a definition in MM, PHB and DMG (all 3.5) and found none. What does it mean, then, to say that
"a vampire gains slam attack" ?

Ail
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

I believe it is when the monster can use their hands and fists as weapons that no longer do subdual damage.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

They hit you really hard.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

That's basicly the size of it. A slam is like a punch or a slap, except that it hits puny humans like a sledge hammer. As an alternative, scottish vampires are known to replace the slam attack witha headbutt.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

This is how I picture many slam attaks, especially vampires. Picture Shao Kahn's shadow charge. (His name is probably spelled wrong) The boss in Mortla Kombat 3, among others. Basically it's a real fast and hard attack that can be a chrge, punch, etc like said above.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

the proper technique for a slam is to clasp both hands together, fingers firmly locked, and slam the sugar honey ice tea out of your opponent.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

A slam is a physical attack, most likely treated as a punch, elbow strike or uppercut for ease of use in D&D, the attack is so powerful that it inflicted actual damage rather than subdual damage.
Swallow your soul!
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

From the SRD, under Natural Weapons:

Natural weapons have types just as other weapons do. The most common are summarized below.
Bite: The creature attacks with its mouth, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.
Claw or Talon: The creature rips with a sharp appendage, dealing piercing and slashing damage.
Gore: The creature spears the opponent with an antler, horn, or similar appendage, dealing piercing damage.
Slap or Slam: The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.
Sting: The creature stabs with a stinger, dealing piercing damage. Sting attacks usually deal damage from poison in addition to hit point damage.
Tentacle: The creature flails at opponents with a powerful tentacle, dealing bludgeoning (and sometimes slashing) damage.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Shoon VII wrote:the proper technique for a slam is to clasp both hands together, fingers firmly locked, and slam the sugar honey ice tea out of your opponent.
Ah, the "Captain Kirk Maneuver"
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Brother_Martyn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Brother_Martyn »

And there was me thinking that vampires kept picking PCs up and slamming 'em down to the canvas for the 1,2,3... :wink:
Buildings burn, people die...
...but real love is forever.
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Regarding slam attacks, I have always wondered if you can apply the Monk's Unarmed Attack Bonus or the Unarmed Damage bonus like, say if you had a vampire monk. Has anyone ever done this? And if so, how did it turn out? I know that vampires are traditionally chaotic evil but in my Ravenloft campaigns I am more lenient. It keeps the PCs on their toes.[/i]
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I'd say that monk abilities wouldn't apply to an attack like a slam. The monks unarmed strike is a different attack than the slam. One is a series of precise blows made by the fist, fingers, foot, knee, elbo and head, while the other is a brute force slap. Consider the situation similar to a monk using a bite attack - sure its a natural attack without weapons, but the technique is completly different.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Stygian Inquirer wrote:Regarding slam attacks, I have always wondered if you can apply the Monk's Unarmed Attack Bonus or the Unarmed Damage bonus like, say if you had a vampire monk. Has anyone ever done this? And if so, how did it turn out? I know that vampires are traditionally chaotic evil but in my Ravenloft campaigns I am more lenient. It keeps the PCs on their toes.[/i]
As ScS said.
But remember that it would still be able to energy drain with the unarmed attacks and have the strength bonuses so a high level monk/vamp might be be better served by not using the slam.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:I'd say that monk abilities wouldn't apply to an attack like a slam. The monks unarmed strike is a different attack than the slam.
I don't remember which issue of Dragon Magazine it was covered in, but the sage gave a very similar answer. Basically, the unarmed strike of a monk doesn't stack with a monster's slam attack.
David of the Frat wrote:But remember that it would still be able to energy drain with the unarmed attacks and have the strength bonuses so a high level monk/vamp might be be better served by not using the slam.
I don't remember if this portion was directly covered in the question, but David's comment makes sense. While the slam attack might not apply, a vampire monk could still make an energy drain attack each round.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Primus_Raven

Post by Primus_Raven »

I allways thought of a slam attack as being what cops do in the movies throw there shoulders into the door.