Ravenloft 5e alternate rules with Curse of Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ocule
Conspirator
Conspirator

Ravenloft 5e alternate rules with Curse of Strahd

Post by Ocule »

Running curse of strahd, trying to decide if using lingering injuries or massive damage would enhance the experience or isn't necessary to enjoy ravenloft the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Also all ears for any suggestions in running this adventure. Variant rules, or just general tips are also welcome.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Ravenloft 5e alternate rules with Curse of Strahd

Post by alhoon »

I would find them a clutter. Sure they are realistic and all but I don't feel I would need them.

Also, keep in mind the adventure is difficult at times. Difficult enough that it requires a built-in "here's your 2nd chance" feature to bring people back from the dead. You can't finish the adventure if your character dies and this one is quite punishing.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

What second chance feature?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:What second chance feature?

I haven't read most of the adventure uet, but if you were willing to give the original, canon timeline a pass (like the design team did), you could always have the mists rise up and protect someone from death and give them a vision or something and start them on their way to being the first anchorite of Ezra or something.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:What second chance feature?
Well, not the adventure itself, the suggestions for the adventures league of the game. http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/ALDMGv4_print.pdf

If you're 5th level or less and die, the Mists bring you back to life with a curse that's like 3 failed power checks. We're talking about things like acquiring gills to survive under water but you have disadvantage on constitution checks on land etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!