Core-wide (or wider) activities/conspiracies

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Core-wide (or wider) activities/conspiracies

Post by thekristhomas »

I've been wondering about those groups and individuals whose activities and interests span multiple domains. Many of the conspiracies detailed in product are domain/darklord specific, unwilling or unable to influence "world" events except how they related directly to their own goals. It would be useful, from a design perspective, to have several groups capable of noticing world events as they unfold, and the capability to attempt to nudge said events in one direction or another.

First to leap to mind is, of course, the FoS, we've got branches everywhere :)

Probably less in number but maybe not in stature, the Van Richten Society

I wouldn't say the Vistani counted, being too diverse a people to be thought of a single organization. Would word get to Eva of world changing events? Probably, but it would only matter if it effected the Vistani

The Kargat, also I wouldn't count, as much as it is a home for plotting, it is essentially an extension of Azalin's will, and as such Darkon-centric.

Church of Ezra, yes. Lawgiver, no. Hala, yes. Morninglord, maybe

The Nightmare Court, is one that particularly fascinates, what chaos could this group unleash?

The Fey, like the Vistani are too large a group to be considered one, but the Faery Courts, both Seelie and Unseelie could have operatives virtually anywhere.

The Carlyle Trading Company, the Boritsi Trading House, and the Falkovnian Ministry of Trade all have the capacity to harm entire nations without firing a shot. Does Scleris Industries have interests outside Nosos? Also of note the Red Vardo Traders.

The Deep Delvers, whatever happened to those kooks?
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Core-wide (or wider) activities/conspiracies

Post by jamesfirecat »

thekristhomas wrote:I've been wondering about those groups and individuals whose activities and interests span multiple domains. Many of the conspiracies detailed in product are domain/darklord specific, unwilling or unable to influence "world" events except how they related directly to their own goals. It would be useful, from a design perspective, to have several groups capable of noticing world events as they unfold, and the capability to attempt to nudge said events in one direction or another.

First to leap to mind is, of course, the FoS, we've got branches everywhere :)

Probably less in number but maybe not in stature, the Van Richten Society

I wouldn't say the Vistani counted, being too diverse a people to be thought of a single organization. Would word get to Eva of world changing events? Probably, but it would only matter if it effected the Vistani

The Kargat, also I wouldn't count, as much as it is a home for plotting, it is essentially an extension of Azalin's will, and as such Darkon-centric.

Church of Ezra, yes. Lawgiver, no. Hala, yes. Morninglord, maybe

The Nightmare Court, is one that particularly fascinates, what chaos could this group unleash?

The Fey, like the Vistani are too large a group to be considered one, but the Faery Courts, both Seelie and Unseelie could have operatives virtually anywhere.

The Carlyle Trading Company, the Boritsi Trading House, and the Falkovnian Ministry of Trade all have the capacity to harm entire nations without firing a shot. Does Scleris Industries have interests outside Nosos? Also of note the Red Vardo Traders.

The Deep Delvers, whatever happened to those kooks?
EDIT: And scratch this entire post because I can't pay any attention/read properly this late at night. IGNORE ME!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

The Deep Delvers are still around, to my knowledge. There's a sidebar on them in Gaz II. They have a drow leader, which might be interesting if he was somehow related to the drow who corrupted a significant amount of shadow fey.

The Nightmare Court might be involved in a demiplane wide conspiracy to drive all the darklords insane. (We already know they're targeting Hazlik, and the Noct Sea Gaz has Harrod Tasker acting as a possible but unwitting trigger for an open gate between the waking world and the dreaming world through the Lady of Ravens. It wouldn't be that far of a jump to have them gaslighting Elena Faithhold given her symptoms.)

In Lamordia, there is the Syndicate of Enlightened Citizens (see Gaz II) which has its tendrils all over the place. Nothing like a little "enlightened" rationality to dress up megalomaniac-level-grandiosity and plans of Demiplane-wide genocide. (Even if they have to do it one piece at a time.)

Another really awful conspiracy seeks a much more practical goal. The textile/weaver/miller guildmasters of both Port-a-Lucine and Martira Bay (Marcel Delacourte and Stefan Dyreth, respectively) are necromancers that not only use child labor for their mills, but zombie child labor. you heard it right, they killed and reanimated children just to make more of a profit. These millers are necromancers who have collaborated on a number of ways, such as zombie dust, to more easily animate and preserve their workers (both in appearance and learned skills.) See Children of the Night: Ghosts for details on this particular twisted plot (it's the sample adventure for Nikolai Melentha) and Marcel Delacourte. Stefan his detailed in Gaz II and Bleak House
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

The Circle/Knights of the Shadows and the Order of the Guardians. One of the Kargatane books had the Order of Twilight, which was trying to free the Nightmare Court. It's technically tied to the Kargat, but the Martira Bay thieves' guild could have interests elsewhere in the Sea of Sorrows. Dark Tales & Disturbing Legends had the Immortal and some sort of cults or cabals involved in the plot.
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Don't forget The Fraternity of Shadows.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

There's also the conspiracy of the Gentleman Caller and his 13 children, which of course Azalin has great interest in.